Softrock Ensemble II Hospital?

  • n5gx_dt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2013
      Here is the deal.  After an abortive attempt at assembling a Softrock Ensemble II RX I found an assembled unit with cabinet for a reasonable price.  Supposedly a 'working unit'.  It does kinda work, but not really.  It looks to be well built.  Whoever built it applied what looks like a glue gun to the coils to keep them fixed.  Seems like a nice idea, provided they never need to be removed!  I found an intermittent solder connection.  Fixed that.  After that I checked all voltages and all are good.  I cured a ground loop problem that let me get to the point of receiving a few signals, but still no roaring success.  Dealt with the well documented (bemoaned) USB driver problem in my Windows 7 HP Pavilion.  I can control the Si570 with the CFGS utility but something is amiss.  The General page has the green light but "Manufacturer: Product: Serial Number:" are all unlabeled and on the Si570 page a click on the Reset Si570 button gets the Not Programmed Error.

      I want to make this work, but after 2 full days of trying, I give.  I would like to send this to someone to check it out, cure whatever ails it and send it back.  In return I will of course pay of any expenses uncured and a reasonable agreed to fee.

      In addition, "If you are one the first 100 applicants..."  I will include FREE, and no additional cost, a partly assembled kit with an only slightly damaged PCB (where I tried to remove an incorrectly mounted IC (U6).  All parts are there including a replacement U6 graciously provided by the Tony.

      Those of you with better eyes, steadier hands and the right tools are my envy.

      If you are up to the challenge send me an e-mail.  My address is good on QRZ.com.

      Thanks,
      Dan
      N5GX
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Softrock Ensemble II Hospital?

        > I can control the Si570 with the CFGS utility but something is amiss. The General page has the green light but "Manufacturer:
        > Product: Serial Number:" are all unlabeled and on the Si570 page a click on the Reset Si570 button gets the Not Programmed Error.

        Dan

        Both these are normal. Take no notice.
        The critical things are the green dot and the "Test" tab. Click "Get" on the Test tab, do you get a "Not powered up" message?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        > I want to make this work, but after 2 full days of trying, I give. I would like to send this to someone to check it out, cure
        > whatever ails it and send it back. In return I will of course pay of any expenses uncured and a reasonable agreed to fee.
        >
        > In addition, "If you are one the first 100 applicants..." I will include FREE, and no additional cost, a partly assembled kit
        > with an only slightly damaged PCB (where I tried to remove an incorrectly mounted IC (U6). All parts are there including a
        > replacement U6 graciously provided by the Tony.

      • kn8dmk
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2013
          Hi Dan, I would be willing to check these out for you. I have built 4 of these kits and love them. Bill KN8DMK..