Re: [softrock40] Prototype-Antenna tuner with two servos controlled by Arduino

  • Michael Walker
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013
      Ricardo

      Awesome work so far.  There isn't enough of what are doing happening in Ham radio today.    Very nice.  And, don't worry about your english and don't apologize for it.  :)  I can't wait to see more.

      BTW, I spent some time on my USB QRP meter and decided it is a time vampire and tossed it into the junk box.  I'll pull the AD8307 off it later.    Now I am questioning my 100mhz scope calibration and I might only be getting 300mW out of my Ensemble and not the 1.5W I thought I was.  No matter as it is still working the world on 40M WSPR.  :)

      So, that caused me to order the SWM-3 QRP from FoxDelta.  http://www.foxdelta.com/products/swm3-qrp.htm.  Dinesh responded immediately with answers to my questions.  What a great deal.

      Mike va3mw

      On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM, pu2clr <pu2clr@...> wrote:

      Hello Everybody,

      I would like to share with you my prototype of my Antenna Tuner controlled by Arduino and Android.

      In this version I am using two capacitors to improve the performance during the tuning process and also accuracy.

      Now I would like to control my Antenna Tuner via a SDR program. After change the frequency, a command will be sent to the Antenna Tuner to scan the right tune.

      I have analyzed the Quisk SDR source program and I noticed that N2ADR (the author) has implemented something like that. There is a folder called n2adr with some source codes implementing a external hardware control via Quisk. .

      Has someone worked on a project like that?

      You can see my video with my Antenna Tuner prototype here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwl3G2ET7Jw

      73,
      PU2CLR,
      Ricardo.

    • pu2clr
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2013
        Hi Mike.
        I have a similar problem with my Pearberry SDR Kit. I will keep trying to improve it.
        Nice to know you work with WSPR.

        Thanks for comments
        73
        PU2CLR,
        Ricardo.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

        > Ricardo
        >
        > Awesome work so far. There isn't enough of what are doing happening in Ham
        > radio today. Very nice. And, don't worry about your english and don't
        > apologize for it. :) I can't wait to see more.
        >
        > BTW, I spent some time on my USB QRP meter and decided it is a time vampire
        > and tossed it into the junk box. I'll pull the AD8307 off it later. Now
        > I am questioning my 100mhz scope calibration and I might only be getting
        > 300mW out of my Ensemble and not the 1.5W I thought I was. No matter as it
        > is still working the world on 40M WSPR. :)
        >
        > So, that caused me to order the SWM-3 QRP from FoxDelta.
        > http://www.foxdelta.com/products/swm3-qrp.htm. Dinesh responded
        > immediately with answers to my questions. What a great deal.
        >
        > Mike va3mw
        >

        > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM, pu2clr <pu2clr@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hello Everybody,
        > >
        > > I would like to share with you my prototype of my Antenna Tuner controlled
        > > by Arduino and Android.
        > >
        > > In this version I am using two capacitors to improve the performance
        > > during the tuning process and also accuracy.
        > >
        > > Now I would like to control my Antenna Tuner via a SDR program. After
        > > change the frequency, a command will be sent to the Antenna Tuner to scan
        > > the right tune.
        > >
        > > I have analyzed the Quisk SDR source program and I noticed that N2ADR (the
        > > author) has implemented something like that. There is a folder called n2adr
        > > with some source codes implementing a external hardware control via Quisk.
        > > .
        > >
        > > Has someone worked on a project like that?
        > >
        > > You can see my video with my Antenna Tuner prototype here:
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwl3G2ET7Jw
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > PU2CLR,
        > > Ricardo.

      • Chuck Wain
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013

          This is probably somewhere in the archives of this list, but I have had no luck finding anything.  I have an HP desktop, Core i7 with lots of memory, but it only has the built-in Realtek sound card/chip.  In order to use the Ensemble RXTX to its full capabilities I need a stereo in and out sound card.  Is there a source of recommended/approved/tested sound cards for this radio?  I hate to go and reinvent the wheel.  I have run across the M-Audio units, but wonder if there are others that will work.

          Thanks
          Chuck - KF7ZQN

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
            A modern motherboard with Realtek chipset should be good enough for RX I/Q and TX I/Q. The remaining functions - mic input and headphone output - can be served by a $2 USB dongle.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Wain <chuckwain@...> wrote:

            > ________________________________
            > This is probably somewhere in the archives of this list, but I have had no luck finding anything.  I have an HP desktop, Core i7 with lots of memory, but it only has the built-in Realtek sound card/chip.  In order to use the Ensemble RXTX to its full capabilities I need a stereo in and out sound card.  Is there a source of recommended/approved/tested sound cards for this radio?  I hate to go and reinvent the wheel.  I have run across the M-Audio units, but wonder if there are others that will work.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Chuck - KF7ZQN

          • KF5ULI
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
              Ya I was gonna say that also. If it has already the mic input and headphone output you are set. If not the usb dongles are great for that. The sound card you have will work If you want to have better sound and functionality get a external sound card like the Soundblaster. Or something like that.

              Angi

              --
              Angi
              Amatuer Radio Operator

              FRBG Breeding Services, Specalizing in the problem and hard to breed does, In Arkansas and Missouri
              AI services for Caprine, Cervid, Cattle, Sheep,
              AI Classes in Caprine, In Ar and surrounding states

            • Curt Carpenter

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
                  Curt
                  I got it from my daughter, she is a big gamer, so it is pretty high end.  The specific model is HPE-180t.  It is pretty powerful, even for now, Core i7 at 3.07GHz and 18GB of memory.  She did not upgrade the audio, it is the base Realtek integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports).

                  I bought two stereo audio cables so I can try out the Ensemble.  I have been pretty confused over the stereo input issue, does this system have it or not?  Anything special I need to to do to get it to work with the Ensemble?

                  Thanks
                  Chuck

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
                    Chuck:

                    A quick glance at the (meager) setup docs. for you computer hints that there might be an audio connection on the back of the machine -- at least for LineOut.    Did you look back there already?

                    I'm using an old IBM machine with built in sound, and it works fine (with line in/line out on the back panel of the machine).

                    If you open your Mixer controls under Windows, they might give you a hint about what capabilities your PC has.  My mixer shows balance and volume for Master, Wave, SW Synthisizer, CD Player, Microphone and Line In.

                    If you have the time and no line-in, you can probably hack your ensemble into the CD Player input to the sound system, or into the mic if it is stereo (but the only way to know that for sure is probably to try it and see).   If not, eBay has USB sound cards (make sure they have LineIn) for under $15.

                    Regards,
                    Curt

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
                      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Sound card for Ensemble RXTX

                      > The specific model is HPE-180t. It is pretty powerful, even for now, Core i7 at 3.07GHz and 18GB of memory. She did not upgrade
                      > the audio, it is the base Realtek integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports).
                      I bought two stereo audio cables so I can try out the Ensemble. I have been pretty confused over the stereo input issue, does this
                      system have it or not? Anything special I need to to do to get it to work with the Ensemble?

                      Chuck,

                      The motherboard specification says it has a Realtek. Up to 24 bit 192KHz.
                      Look for the Realtek Audio Manager.

                      Sorting out the sockets is not going to be easy.
                      Identify them before any SDR. Use stereo speakers and check for a stereo input.

                      Maybe do a search for Realtek Audio Manager? Here <http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC949416> is a Realtek
                      system. OK, its Vista but yours may well be similar.