Re: [softrock40] First Impressions: HF-3dBSDR Receiver

  • Gerry Huss
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 31, 2013
      Larry,
      when I switched on the power supply on my 3dB first nothing happened.
      I found JP5 open, soldered it and signals were coming in.
      there is one USB ground for the SI570 and another ground for the QSD, bandswitching is effected  by optocouplers.
      However you have to connect these 2 grounds in order to switch on the red LED to show the unit is powered up.
      QSD power is from USB 5 V via a Mosfet, thus resulting QSD ICs to be powered by 4,4V only.
      SI570 pin 6 however is powered with 5 V direct from USB. (see datasheet ! )
      D4 could not be found on board,
      6 -15V supply is not populated and somewhat unclear.
      I have asked the producers some questions, no reply so far has been received. QSE would have been nice.
      Functionality is limited to receive.
      Gerry, OE6HGG

      First Impressions: HF-3dBSDR Receiver posted here:
      <http://forum.3dbsdr.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16#p33>

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 31, 2013

        >when I switched on the power supply on my 3dB first nothing happened.
        I found JP5 open, soldered it and signals were coming in.
        there is one USB ground for the SI570 and another ground for the QSD, bandswitching is effected by optocouplers.
        However you have to connect these 2 grounds in order to switch on the red LED to show the unit is powered up.
        QSD power is from USB 5 V via a Mosfet, thus resulting QSD ICs to be powered by 4,4V only.
        SI570 pin 6 however is powered with 5 V direct from USB. (see datasheet ! )
        D4 could not be found on board,
        6 -15V supply is not populated and somewhat unclear.
        I have asked the producers some questions, no reply so far has been received. QSE would have been nice.
        Functionality is limited to receive.

        Gerry,

        The schematic I have shows the Si570 pin 6 powered from 3V3, I hope this is true!
        4V4 is fine, I have found Softrocks work down to about 2V5.

        There is a forum here <http://forum.3dbsdr.com/> I'd hope some support as well!

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jasmine Strong
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 31, 2013

          The voltage drop across a MOSFET should not be 0.6 volts as they do not have a PN junction for the current to flow through like a BJT does.  The channel resistance with the FET turned on should be almost nothing and no noticeable voltage drop should be observed.

          -J.

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1 3:39 AM
            Alan,
            according to the datasheet all my previous SI570 I supplied with 3,3 V, no problems.
            On my 3dB board I just measured 5,04 V between pin3 and pin6 of the SI570. board is USB supplied from desktop.
            Pin4 is 2,48V, SI570 is working, but I feel pin6 must get 3,3V.
            My board is working, but I had expected to receive a fully tested board plug and play with no open connections, such as for example JP5 in my case.
            I compare it to the SR63 board from yoyodyne, which is a kit, with more features.
            Currently I do a board with AD603 and AD8333 plus the LT6231, not yet tested as a QSD.
            Regards,73,
            Gerry

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1 3:50 AM

              >according to the datasheet all my previous SI570 I supplied with 3,3 V, no problems.
              On my 3dB board I just measured 5,04 V between pin3 and pin6 of the SI570. board is USB supplied from desktop.
              Pin4 is 2,48V, SI570 is working, but I feel pin6 must get 3,3V.

              Gerry,

              Really 5V???
              This should not be, 3V3 is the maximum specified voltage for any Si570.
              It may not last long at 5V! Unless there is a new version for 5V, which I doubt.

              >My board is working, but I had expected to receive a fully tested board plug and play with no open connections, such as for example
              >JP5 in my case.
              I compare it to the SR63 board from yoyodyne, which is a kit, with more features.
              Currently I do a board with AD603 and AD8333 plus the LT6231, not yet tested as a QSD.

              I read that some of the jumpers were intended to be optional, for grounding etc.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Larry Dighera
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1 2:46 PM
                Hello Garry,

                And I thought I was having problems with my HF-3dBSDR receiver. :-)

                The hardware seems to be functional, but getting Windows 8, and the GUI tuning
                software (HDSDR) correctly configured (while learning its operation), seems to
                be an issue for me at present. The software is functional with the
                RTL2382U/R820T Ezycap dongle, but this is the first time I have used the sound
                card for SDR. I'm seeing lots of image signals and little else at the moment.
                I've been attempting to understand HDSDR's "RF front-end frequency options &
                Calibration" function, but although I can hear WWV fine on the Icom, I'm not
                able to find it in the HDSDR/HF-3dBSDR receiver ...

                I'm considering moving the HF-3dBSDR receiver audio output from the Mic jack to
                the external USB "sound card." as mentioned in the FAQ.

                Is this grounding versatility documented anywhere? There's one line on the
                subject in the FAQ <http://3dbsdr.com/faq.php>:

                "Our board has traces to cut to enable different grounding isolation
                schemes."

                And I find no mention of grounding on the HF-3dBSDR schematic:
                <http://3dbsdr.com/downloads/hfhdr_windows/sdr2.pdf>.

                The red LED already lights when my HF-3dBSDR receiver is plugged into the USB
                port.

                Data sheet? What data sheet? Are you referring to the SI570 data sheet? Can
                you e-mail a copy to me or provide a link? All I received in my HF-3dBSDR
                receiver shipment was the HF-3dBSDR receiver board, no documentation nor
                software.

                Have you posted your questions to the 3dB Software Defined Radio Forum?
                <http://forum.3dbsdr.com/>. It's worth a try, right?

                QSE, as well as so many other functions, would be nice, but not if they
                affected price. I'm planning on using the HF-3dBSDR receiver to provide a
                bandscope for use with my IC-7800 through CAT software (wish me luck).

                Best regards,
                Larry

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 1 4:43 PM
                  Larry,
                  right beside the BNC input connector there is a "JP5", which I had to solder to connect the BNC to the input transformer.
                  If not soldered ( connected ) BNC is open, kindly check.
                  As for the grounding I am asking myself, why a 4 layer board has been made, if you must solder JP2 and thus connect USB ground with the QSD ground. I could not find any docu on this grounding versatility.
                  I will cut the trace of pin6 of SI570 and connect same to the 3,3 V regulator.
                  SI570 datasheet is made by Silicon Labs, you get the datasheet from their homepage.
                  If I switch in filter 2 instead of filter 1 for 40 meters, there is maybe some dB difference, but you cannot expect steep filters from
                  just 1 parallel and 2 serial resonances, I also get lots of images . I use CFGSR and Rocky3.7
                  I wish you luck and hope you get the signals coming in and SI570 working,
                  73,
                  Gerry

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 1 11:32 PM

                    >right beside the BNC input connector there is a "JP5", which I had to solder to connect the BNC to the input transformer.
                    If not soldered ( connected ) BNC is open, kindly check.

                    Gerry,

                    JP5 should not be connected unless you are never going to use a proper antenna.
                    The BNC ground is normally made through an ATU or the grounded coax of the antenna system.
                    If you want to try a random wire (not reccommened) make a temporary connection.

                    >I will cut the trace of pin6 of SI570 and connect same to the 3,3 V regulator.
                    SI570 datasheet is made by Silicon Labs, you get the datasheet from their homepage.

                    If the Si570 has 5V on it then I would at least ask for a replacement board. It's probable that its life is already reduced. 50%
                    overvoltage on a device that runs hot at 3V3???
                    And you have said the 5V line is 4V4. I had thought maybe that was due to low USB voltage and some drop but if you have 5V on the
                    Si570 that points to something badly wrong elsewhere.
                    It was not sold as a faulty board that needed repair?
                    I'm wondering if you should get your money back and go for an established unit like the Softrock....

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 1 11:33 PM

                      >getting Windows 8, and the GUI tuning
                      software (HDSDR) correctly configured (while learning its operation), seems to
                      be an issue for me at present. The software is functional with the
                      RTL2382U/R820T Ezycap dongle, but this is the first time I have used the sound
                      card for SDR. I'm seeing lots of image signals and little else at the moment.
                      I've been attempting to understand HDSDR's "RF front-end frequency options &
                      Calibration" function, but although I can hear WWV fine on the Icom, I'm not
                      able to find it in the HDSDR/HF-3dBSDR receiver ...

                      Larry,

                      HDSDR here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr Installation with a Softrock near the bottom. Links
                      to calibration and other pages. As this is essentially a Softrock the "Calibration A" should work.

                      >I'm considering moving the HF-3dBSDR receiver audio output from the Mic jack to
                      the external USB "sound card." as mentioned in the FAQ.

                      A soundcard SDR MUST go into a stereo Line input. Sometimes when there is only a mic input it may be configured as a stereo line
                      input.

                      >Is this grounding versatility documented anywhere? There's one line on the
                      subject in the FAQ <http://3dbsdr.com/faq.php>:
                      "Our board has traces to cut to enable different grounding isolation
                      schemes."
                      And I find no mention of grounding on the HF-3dBSDR schematic:
                      <http://3dbsdr.com/downloads/hfhdr_windows/sdr2.pdf>.
                      Have you posted your questions to the 3dB Software Defined Radio Forum?
                      <http://forum.3dbsdr.com/>. It's worth a try, right?

                      Grounding is really a matter of experimenting. Until it works I'd ignore that.
                      It is a pity there seems to be no support. Ready-made SDRs are often bought by beginners in SDR.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Gerry Huss
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 2 5:30 AM
                        Alan,

                        thanks for your kind comments on my 3dB board.
                        I had already thought to return it, but strangely these sellers dont even give me an answer to my questions.
                        I am sure our remarks are justified.
                        I will just write it off, 100 US out the window. Too much troubles sending the board around the globe.

                        I have an SR63 from Yoyodyne and I will also assemble the Yoyodyne widget, all components ready to populate the board.
                        And I have a FiFi from Funkamateur with  Bonito Spectroscope software, which works very nicely and I have a MOBO4.3 kit ready to be assembled.
                        I also made an SDR QSD based on LT6517 quadrature demodulator, which goes boyond 1 GHz.
                        Last year I made a JUMA type RX and the SRTOGO is waiting for integration.

                        I feel this is enough projects waiting to be finished and I am happy to see the performance of the different units.
                        I did not go for Tony s Softrock, there is no full shortwave band coverage, I like the WB6DHW bandpassfilter, nice perormance even with the SMD inductors.

                        So I will keep on swinging a hot soldering iron and hopefully I ll be on the air again some day.

                        Best regards, 73,
                        Gerry, OE6HGG, Graz, Austria

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 2 12:31 PM
                          Hello Garry,

                          I'm getting responses to my comments on the 3dB forum:
                          <http://forum.3dbsdr.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16&p=62#p62>. Have you attempted
                          to post your comments there?

                          Best regards,
                          Larry

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 2 4:19 PM
                            Larry,
                            yes, thanks, I got the page, will post maybe some comments.
                            best regards, good luck
                            Gerry

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 9 4:00 PM
                              Hello Garry,

                              The information you provided confirms that you have a Rev.A HF-3dBSDR receiver
                              too. Like you, I also found 5V on my Si570. What I want to know is, did yours
                              work like that, with 5V on the Si570? Or did you have to route 3.3 VDC to the
                              Si570 to get it to work?

                              You should find this message I received from 3dB today interesting (below).

                              I don't know if I should go through the trouble of sending mine back for
                              exchange for a Rev.2 board, or just cut and jumper.

                              Thanks for your help.

                              Best regards,
                              Larry

                              ============= Begin 3dB message =============================
                              To: Larry@...
                              Subject: Re: HF-3dBSDR Support documents
                              From: Sam Ammons <sam@...>
                              Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 17:13:43 -0400

                              I talked with the builder and he said that an error in the schematic is the
                              cause of the improper voltage. This was fixed in revision 2 of the board so
                              I am assuming you have revision 1. We have the next batch of revision 2
                              boards coming in in a week and it will be a day or three to build one. If
                              you like, we can swap it out for free. Just return it to us at the address
                              sent earlier. Your rma number is XX. look on the back of yours and see if
                              you have a serial number sticker. If you dont have a serial number sticker
                              it means you managed to buy a prototype, possibly my own personal sdr. If
                              you do have a serial number I would like to contact the serial numbers
                              close to it to see if they have the same problem. There were 50 Rev 1
                              boards made.

                              The builder says he knew of the over voltage but didnt see any performance
                              problems so he passed the quality check on them and changed the board
                              design. I dont know if a shortened life cycle will be a result of this or
                              if it results in more noise, but I will certainly test a rev 2 board vs a
                              rev 1 board and tell you what I find.

                              Sam

                              --
                              Sam Ammons

                              =========================== End of 3dB Message ===============================

                              wrote:

                              >Larry,
                              >when I switched on the power supply on my 3dB first nothing happened.
                              >I found JP5 open, soldered it and signals were coming in.
                              >there is one USB ground for the SI570 and another ground for the QSD, bandswitching is effected  by optocouplers.
                              >However you have to connect these 2 grounds in order to switch on the red LED to show the unit is powered up.
                              >QSD power is from USB 5 V via a Mosfet, thus resulting QSD ICs to be powered by 4,4V only.
                              >SI570 pin 6 however is powered with 5 V direct from USB. (see datasheet ! )
                              >D4 could not be found on board,
                              >6 -15V supply is not populated and somewhat unclear.
                              >I have asked the producers some questions, no reply so far has been received. QSE would have been nice.
                              >Functionality is limited to receive.
                              >Gerry, OE6HGG
                              >

                              >________________________________

                            • KF5ULI

                                From: Sam Ammons <sam@...>
                                Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 17:13:43 -0400

                                --
                                Sam Ammons

                                =========================== End of 3dB Message ===============================

                                wrote:

                                >Larry,
                                >when I switched on the power supply on my 3dB first nothing happened.
                                >I found JP5 open, soldered it and signals were coming in.
                                >there is one USB ground for the SI570 and another ground for the QSD, bandswitching is effected  by optocouplers.
                                >However you have to connect these 2 grounds in order to switch on the red LED to show the unit is powered up.
                                >QSD power is from USB 5 V via a Mosfet, thus resulting QSD ICs to be powered by 4,4V only.
                                >SI570 pin 6 however is powered with 5 V direct from USB. (see datasheet ! )
                                >D4 could not be found on board,
                                >6 -15V supply is not populated and somewhat unclear.
                                >I have asked the producers some questions, no reply so far has been received. QSE would have been nice.
                                >Functionality is limited to receive.
                                >Gerry, OE6HGG
                                >

                                >________________________________

                                Amatuer Radio Operator
                                call sign: KF5ULI
                                Trained SKYWARN weather spotter
                                SpotterNet weather spotter
                                CoCoRaHS weather station AR-SR-6

                                FRBG Breeding Services, Specalizing in the problem and hard to breed does, In Arkansas and Missouri
                                AI services for Caprine, Cervid, Cattle, Sheep,
                                AI Classes in Caprine, In Ar and surrounding states

                              • boydsoftprez
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 4, 2013

                                   Hello Larry,

                                  Did you get the new board working? Was curious haven't heard anything back from you. The board I shipped you ran on my desk for 2 days and I used it to listen to many stations before we shipped to out to you.

                                  J.J. Boyd

                                  http://3dbsdr.com

                                  To: Larry@...
                                  From: Sam Ammons <sam@...>
                                  Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 17:13:43 -0400

                                  --
                                  Sam Ammons

                                  =========================== End of 3dB Message ===============================

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 11, 2013
                                      Hi Jim,

                                      Yes, the version 1A updated replacement HF-3dBSDR receiver board for the
                                      defective one I ordered on August 24, 2013, and returned on September 11, 2013
                                      did arrive, and I have made a preliminary test. Without question, this new
                                      board works significantly better than the original defective one I received.

                                      Sam Ammons:
                                      We received your SDR and it is "not right".

                                      In the interim, while I was waiting for you to ship a functional board, I
                                      purchased a FiFi SDR receiver with preselector and integrated sound card in an
                                      aluminum case here for nearly the same price here:
                                      <http://www.box73.de/product_info.php?products_id=2425&XTCsid=aaa7d4318d1fd3249320963e68491f9f>.

                                      Best regards,
                                      Larry

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 11, 2013
                                        Larry,
                                        I also use a FiFi with Bonito Spectroscope, the best I have seen so far, check the bonito FiFi software,
                                        73, Gerry, OE6HGG