Re: Softrock Ensemble II almost dead

  • M
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 30, 2013
      And last but not least "Si570 chip not powerd on?" message while trying to calibrate..... snort !!!
      Not a lucky board.

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Softrock Ensemble II almost dead

        > And last but not least "Si570 chip not powerd on?" message while trying to calibrate..... snort !!!
        > Not a lucky board.

        Usually due to bad solder joints on pins 7, 8 of the Si570.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • M
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2013
          I bought it assembled hi !
          Mo

          > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Softrock Ensemble II almost dead
          >

          > > And last but not least "Si570 chip not powerd on?" message while trying to calibrate..... snort !!!
          > > Not a lucky board.
          > >

          > Usually due to bad solder joints on pins 7, 8 of the Si570.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • jimgo749
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
            Hello,

            I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any suggestions?

            Thank you
          • carpentercurt45
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
              I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!

              Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and laptops won't work.

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any suggestions?
              >
              > Thank you

            • K5MYJ
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                Do you have another receiver you can use to check your band of interest.
                There is not always something receivable.

                Where I live in the PNW the ham bands are mostly dead except on contest
                days.

                I tested mine with a signal generator.

                Bob Macklin
                K5MYJ
                Seattle, Wa.
                "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
                > I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!
                >
                > Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and
                > that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set
                > correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and
                > laptops won't work.
                >

                >> Hello,
                >>
                >> I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise
                >> on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org
                >> with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle
                >> as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct
                >> sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO
                >> conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any
                >> suggestions?
                >>
                >> Thank you

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                  With decent antennas and no solar flare there is always activity on the bands.  30m & 20 daytime, 40 & 80 nighttime.

                  Depending on solar activity (or lack thereof) you will also experience activity on 17, 15, 12 & 10m and 160m.

                  The secret if decent antennas.

                  de Paul, W8AEF

                  > I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!
                  >
                  > Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and
                  > that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set
                  > correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and
                  > laptops won't work.
                  >

                  >> Hello,
                  >>
                  >> I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise
                  >> on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org
                  >> with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle
                  >> as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct
                  >> sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO
                  >> conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any
                  >> suggestions?
                  >>
                  >> Thank you

                • MICHAEL TALLENT
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                    What kind of antenna are you using? A single wire antenna will not work as
                    the antenna input to the Ensemble II is a transformer and you need both
                    connections to get a signal through the transformer. Adding the ground
                    jumper to the antenna connector might help if you have the Ensemble II
                    connected to a good ground.

                    Mike T W6MXV

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                      How much activity depends where you live. You also have to know what time to expect activity on any given band.

                      Here in Seattle thing are really thin. On contest days I can copy S. America and Japan. East Coast, and Gulf Coast but propagation from California is crappy.

                      Bob Macklin
                      K5MYJ
                      Seattle, Wa.
                      "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

                      > I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!
                      >
                      > Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and
                      > that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set
                      > correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and
                      > laptops won't work.
                      >

                      >> Hello,
                      >>
                      >> I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise
                      >> on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org
                      >> with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle
                      >> as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct
                      >> sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO
                      >> conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any
                      >> suggestions?
                      >>
                      >> Thank you

                    • jimgo749
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                        Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.

                        @carpentercurt45
                        I connected the board to my laptop and also to my desktop pc however I had no luck.I will go through the settings again just to be sure.

                        @Mike T W6MXV
                        I am using a single wire antenna about 2 meters long. Where could I find a more suitable antenna?

                        @K5MYJ

                        I have an AM radio receiver and I checked BBC world service frequencies however I could not listen anything from my RX II.

                        Is it possible that the cause of the problem could be bad solder joints on the transformer or on the antenna jack?They seem ok but I could desolder them and do them again just in case.

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...> wrote:

                        > What kind of antenna are you using? A single wire antenna will not work as
                        > the antenna input to the Ensemble II is a transformer and you need both
                        > connections to get a signal through the transformer. Adding the ground
                        > jumper to the antenna connector might help if you have the Ensemble II
                        > connected to a good ground.
                        >
                        > Mike T W6MXV

                      • K5MYJ
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                          You won't hear much with a 2M long antenna. Run a LONG WIRE out the window
                          as far as you can. That's a starter.

                          BBC is AM. Are they still operational on HF? VOA is gone. There is not much
                          SWBC anymore. At least here in Seattle except on 7290.

                          Bob Macklin
                          K5MYJ
                          Seattle, Wa.
                          "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
                          > Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.
                          >
                          > @carpentercurt45
                          > I connected the board to my laptop and also to my desktop pc however I had
                          > no luck.I will go through the settings again just to be sure.
                          >
                          > @Mike T W6MXV
                          > I am using a single wire antenna about 2 meters long. Where could I find a
                          > more suitable antenna?
                          >
                          > @K5MYJ
                          >
                          > I have an AM radio receiver and I checked BBC world service frequencies
                          > however I could not listen anything from my RX II.
                          >
                          > Is it possible that the cause of the problem could be bad solder joints on
                          > the transformer or on the antenna jack?They seem ok but I could desolder
                          > them and do them again just in case.
                          >
                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> What kind of antenna are you using? A single wire antenna will not work
                          >> as
                          >> the antenna input to the Ensemble II is a transformer and you need both
                          >> connections to get a signal through the transformer. Adding the ground
                          >> jumper to the antenna connector might help if you have the Ensemble II
                          >> connected to a good ground.
                          >>
                          >> Mike T W6MXV

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                            I can almost always talk to Seattle on 20m from Phoenix, AZ, on 20m using my Force 12 C-3 on my 50’ tower.

                            My 4 element monobander at 72’ can always work Japan but not Seattle.

                            Not only is the antenna important, the heighth above ground will make a difference.

                            I played in sweep stakes a few years ago, could hear nothing on 20m in NA with the monobander.  C-3 at 20’ elevation worked great.  Lowered the monobander to 20’ and it worked great also.

                            Low for close in, high for far away.

                            de Paul, W8AEF

                            > I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!
                            >
                            > Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and
                            > that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set
                            > correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and
                            > laptops won't work.
                            >

                            >> Hello,
                            >>
                            >> I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise
                            >> on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org
                            >> with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle
                            >> as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct
                            >> sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO
                            >> conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any
                            >> suggestions?
                            >>
                            >> Thank you

                          • MICHAEL TALLENT
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                              You can make a loop antenna take a long wire and make as bit a loop as you
                              can and connect both ends to the antenna connector, one end to the center
                              pin and the other end to the body of the BNC connector like a big 1 turn
                              coil. That should work much better than a single wire connection.

                              Mike T

                              Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.

                              @carpentercurt45
                              I connected the board to my laptop and also to my desktop pc however I had
                              no luck.I will go through the settings again just to be sure.

                              @Mike T W6MXV
                              I am using a single wire antenna about 2 meters long. Where could I find a
                              more suitable antenna?

                              @K5MYJ

                              I have an AM radio receiver and I checked BBC world service frequencies
                              however I could not listen anything from my RX II.

                              Is it possible that the cause of the problem could be bad solder joints on
                              the transformer or on the antenna jack?They seem ok but I could desolder
                              them and do them again just in case.

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...> wrote:

                              > What kind of antenna are you using? A single wire antenna will not work
                              > as
                              > the antenna input to the Ensemble II is a transformer and you need both
                              > connections to get a signal through the transformer. Adding the ground
                              > jumper to the antenna connector might help if you have the Ensemble II
                              > connected to a good ground.
                              >
                              > Mike T W6MXV

                            • K5MYJ
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013

                                My point is that without another receiver for comparison or a signal generator you have no clue what your problem is.

                                At times I can copy the W1AW CW test code here on both 20M and 40M. But not often.

                                But on contest days I hear a lot of signals.

                                I'm not the only one in the Seattle area with this problem.

                                Bob Macklin
                                K5MYJ
                                Seattle, Wa.
                                "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

                                > I had this problem, and it was a PC setup issue -- softrock was OK!
                                >
                                > Make sure you are connected to a stereo input (LineIn on my computer), and
                                > that the volume, mute and balance controls for the LineIn input are set
                                > correctly (if you're using Windows). The microphone input on many PCs and
                                > laptops won't work.
                                >

                                >> Hello,
                                >>
                                >> I am experiencing exactly the same problem. There is always white noise
                                >> on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org
                                >> with success. The op amps seem to work as I did test them with a needle
                                >> as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct
                                >> sound when touching the pins. I also calibrated with the PE0FKO ExtIO
                                >> conf tool but that didn't solve my problem. I am a bit desperate.Any
                                >> suggestions?
                                >>
                                >> Thank you

                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                                  You can use the best receiver in the world and if you have a poor antenna it will still be deaf.

                                  de Paul, W8AEF

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
                                    Two meters is awfully short.  I use a long wire about 32' long and up about 28', and hope to put up something more substantial soon.  .

                                    Another thought.  On my ensemble II, I can listen to local AM broadcast signals above 1MHz, and they are extremely strong.  If you have a station at around that frequency in your area, it might be worth checking to see if you can hear it.   I'd think you'd be able to even with that 2m. wire.

                                    Your ohm meter should let you verify your antenna connections on the circuit board and the continuity of your antenna transformer.

                                    Regards,
                                    Curt

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013

                                      There is always white noise on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org with success. The op amps seem to
                                      work as I did test them with a needle as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct sound when touching the
                                      pins.

                                      As others have said, Softrocks are designed to require a good antenna.
                                      You will have difficulty finding audible signals with a short piece of wire.
                                      However, you should see some pickup of random signals on the screen that alter if the antenna is removed. With a working Softrock
                                      you should find some signals from your computer that you do not really want to see!

                                      I have never tried this but I think it should work.
                                      If there in no difference then, assuming your wire is not connected to anything else try connecting it to your pin and touch places
                                      like R25, 26, U9 pins 7, 9 and look for some sort of signals.
                                      If you do see something go to various places in the BPF.