Re: intro and questions

  • littlewing
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
      Thank you Alan, not only for taking the time to respond to my questions, but also for the time and effort to collect and present such an overwhelming amount information !!
      I am now beginning to think I might be getting in over my head, but one thing is for sure.
      I will not be bored for some time to come !!

      Another question. I saw that a second receiver was required to adjust the transmit side. How absolute is that?
      As I would then need to also purchase the rx only model or some other cheap rcvr.
      Again, trying to plan within a very, very, limited budget.

      Thanks again !
      73
      Don Frasher
      AD7LL
      donfrasher at yahoo dot com

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: intro and questions

        > I am now beginning to think I might be getting in over my head, but one thing is for sure.
        > I will not be bored for some time to come !!

        Don

        For a complete beginner there can be a lot to learn but many get there without too many problems.

        > Another question. I saw that a second receiver was required to adjust the transmit side. How absolute is that?

        I should say that anyone operating a transmitter should be able to monitor his transmissions.
        Home built, even more so.
        SDR, well, even even more so. SDRs do not necessarily transmit on the RX frequency, or may transmit on two frequencies. And the
        image really needs to be adjusted to be at a low level.

        But quite a few seem to do it by trial and error. Maybe one watt will not get the authorities smashing your door down but it can
        still cause a lot of QRM.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ