Changes to RX Ensemble II kit

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
      Good Afternoon All,

      Recently we at fivedash.com used up our supply of RX Ensemble II circuit boards with the date 6/15/10 printed on the board. The 6/15/10 version of the RX Ensemble II circuit board had the layout issue for T1 and T2 where either the primary winding leads or the secondary winding leads of each transformer needed to be crossed for best operation of the receiver.

      The T1/T2 layout issue has now been corrected with the circuit boards to be supplied in the RX Ensemble II kit from this date forward. The date on the new board is 6/20/13.

      One additional change in the RX Ensemble II kit materials has been made where thirty-six feet of #27 AWG wire along with four feet of #30 AWG wire are now supplied in the kit. The heaver gage #27 wire is for winding L1 through L12 so that the inductors will stand upright in a better way on the finished receiver board. The #30 lighter gage wire is still needed for winding T1 through T3 transformers. The bill of materials and the schematic pages on our website have been updated to include these changes.

      Thanks very much for your kit orders and I always hope people are having fun with the kits and find them useful.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 2013
        I have wondered (have the old style kits) if it would be good to spot glue the groups of transformers together - maybe just a spot of hot glue at the tops so they are mutually supported. Any comments?

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

        > Good Afternoon All,
        >
        > Recently we at fivedash.com used up our supply of RX Ensemble II circuit boards with the date 6/15/10 printed on the board. The 6/15/10 version of the RX Ensemble II circuit board had the layout issue for T1 and T2 where either the primary winding leads or the secondary winding leads of each transformer needed to be crossed for best operation of the receiver.
        >
        > The T1/T2 layout issue has now been corrected with the circuit boards to be supplied in the RX Ensemble II kit from this date forward. The date on the new board is 6/20/13.
        >
        > One additional change in the RX Ensemble II kit materials has been made where thirty-six feet of #27 AWG wire along with four feet of #30 AWG wire are now supplied in the kit. The heaver gage #27 wire is for winding L1 through L12 so that the inductors will stand upright in a better way on the finished receiver board. The #30 lighter gage wire is still needed for winding T1 through T3 transformers. The bill of materials and the schematic pages on our website have been updated to include these changes.
        >
        > Thanks very much for your kit orders and I always hope people are having fun with the kits and find them useful.
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        > Tony KB9YIG

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 25, 2013

          > I have wondered (have the old style kits) if it would be good to
          > spot glue the groups of transformers together - maybe just a spot of
          > hot glue at the tops so they are mutually supported. Any comments?

          25/08/2013 21:04

          Once mine were verified as problem free and had been working for a
          month or so I hot glued the toroids, as I sometimes lend them friends
          or transport by car, so I thought the added support other than by their
          leads was a good idea. It had no noticeable effect on their
          performance, and could be gently pulled off again if really necessary.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
            A small amount of the two-tube epoxy will keep them in place after having checked them and that everything is working although if you heat the epoxy say with a hair blower it will soften and allow you to remove the toroids.

            > I have wondered (have the old style kits) if it would be good to
            > spot glue the groups of transformers together - maybe just a spot of
            > hot glue at the tops so they are mutually supported. Any comments?

            25/08/2013 21:04

            Once mine were verified as problem free and had been working for a
            month or so I hot glued the toroids, as I sometimes lend them friends
            or transport by car, so I thought the added support other than by their
            leads was a good idea. It had no noticeable effect on their
            performance, and could be gently pulled off again if really necessary.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

          • Zack Widup
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
              You can also use silicone RTV sealant. If there's any concern about
              the acetic acid affecting circuitry while it's curing, there is a type
              available that uses ammonia instead. I myself have never had any
              problem with the acetic acid type causing any corrosion.

              73, Zack W9SZ

              On 8/26/13, Lawrence Galea <galea_lawrence@...> wrote:
              > A small amount of the two-tube epoxy will keep them in place after having
              > checked them and that everything is working although if you heat the epoxy
              > say with a hair blower it will soften and allow you to remove the toroids.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Chuck Wain

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
                  When I built the low frequency version, took a LOT of pulling stretching and rearranging to get all the wire on some of the inductors. I don't think I could have got another single turn on some of em, so I am wondering if the heavier guage wire would be a problem since it would occupy more space. Just a thought. Has anyone tried this yet?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
                    >I have an RXTX Ensemble Transceiver board dated 5/24/10. Does this have the same issue for T1/T2 described below?

                    Chuck,

                    Yes, but different https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/softrock_ensemble_isolation_transformers Robby's pages also.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
                      > When I built the low frequency version, took a LOT of pulling stretching and rearranging to get all the wire on some of the
                      > inductors. I don't think I could have got another single turn on some of em, so I am wondering if the heavier guage wire would be
                      > a problem since it would occupy more space. Just a thought. Has anyone tried this yet?

                      I think Tony was thinking of the HF version.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Tony Parks
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
                        Hi Joe,

                        I am guilty of assuming the #27 wire could be used for all RX Ensemble II inductors, even for the LF build of the kit.  Because of your posting, I just tried to wind some of the LF inductors and found it could not be done for L1, L2, L3, L4 and L6.  Thus, the notes on the RX Ensemble II schematic need to be changed and the quantity of #30 wire and #27 wire needs to be adjusted to properly cover the two build cases.

                        Running the numbers I come up with fifteen feet of #27 along with twenty-five feet of #30 to provide for both build cases.

                        Thanks for the reality check!

                        Tony Parks
                        kb9yig@...
                        http://fivedash.com

                        On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 15:51 +0000, Joe wrote:

                        When I built the low frequency version, took a LOT of pulling stretching and rearranging to get all the wire on some of the inductors. I don't think I could have got another single turn on some of em, so I am wondering if the heavier guage wire would be a problem since it would occupy more space. Just a thought. Has anyone tried this yet?

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                        > Good Afternoon All,
                        >
                        > Recently we at fivedash.com used up our supply of RX Ensemble II circuit boards with the date 6/15/10 printed on the board. The 6/15/10 version of the RX Ensemble II circuit board had the layout issue for T1 and T2 where either the primary winding leads or the secondary winding leads of each transformer needed to be crossed for best operation of the receiver.
                        >
                        > The T1/T2 layout issue has now been corrected with the circuit boards to be supplied in the RX Ensemble II kit from this date forward. The date on the new board is 6/20/13.
                        >
                        > One additional change in the RX Ensemble II kit materials has been made where thirty-six feet of #27 AWG wire along with four feet of #30 AWG wire are now supplied in the kit. The heaver gage #27 wire is for winding L1 through L12 so that the inductors will stand upright in a better way on the finished receiver board. The #30 lighter gage wire is still needed for winding T1 through T3 transformers. The bill of materials and the schematic pages on our website have been updated to include these changes.
                        >
                        > Thanks very much for your kit orders and I always hope people are having fun with the kits and find them useful.
                        >
                        > Thanks and 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • wb5rvz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 29, 2013
                          The changes have been posted to the build notes on www.wb5rvz.org.

                          No changes to the schematics (other than sheet 3 listing the inductor wire gauge changes) and the relevant sections of the new board layouts have been posted to their respective steps within the affected stages (LO and BPF).