Re: [softrock40] Ensemble RX II Toroid Question

  • R. R. (Robby) Robson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
      Dan:
      Which instructions were you reading?

      Here is an excerpt from the instructions for the Ensemble RX II BPF Band 0 inductors:

      Inductor Information

      Common Techniques:
      • One turn:
        • For toroids, one turn is a single pass through the center hole.
        • For binocular cores, one turn is a pass in which the wire goes in the bottom, comes out the top, goes back in the other hole at the top, and comes out the other hole at the bottom.
      • Bi (tri) filar means 2(3) equal lengths of wire. You get the bi(tri)filar strand by taking the length of wire specified for the primary winding, folding it into half(thirds), twisting it to 3~ twists per inch, and winding it over the primary winding. One end of such a strand will have two(three) leads; the other end will have a "hairpin" bend (and a single lead in the case of tri-filar).
      • Multi-filar windings are usually done AFTER the uni-filar winding is done.
      • Windings shoud be evenly spaced and ideally made such that the winding covers ~345 degrees of the toroid
      • Inductance values given are for the single (uni-filar) winding. They are provided to help verify turn counts and core material selected.
      • Toroid nomenclature provides the outside diameter of the toroid (in hundredths of an inch - the "30" in "T30-2"), and material code (the "2" in "T30-2"). Color codes used in these kits are:
        • 2=Red
        • 3=Gray
        • 6=Yellow
        • 7=White
        • 10=Black
        • 12=Green (with White on opposite side)
      Inductors In This Step
      L01

      COIL: 5.5uH: 35T #30(20in) on T30-2(red)
      Using approximately 21 inches of #30 wire, wind 35 turns on a 0.30 inch od T30-2(red) ferrite. Inductance = 5.50 uH.

      L02

      COIL: 2.6uH: 24T #30(15in) on T30-2(red)
      Using approximately 15 inches of #30 wire, wind 24 turns on a 0.30 inch od T30-2(red) ferrite. Inductance = 2.60 uH.

      L03

      COIL: 5.5uH: 35T #30(20in) on T30-2(red)
      Using approximately 21 inches of #30 wire, wind 35 turns on a 0.30 inch od T30-2(red) ferrite. Inductance = 5.50 uH.

      First, you want to wind and install the coils and then continuity test them. The continuity test checks for continuity between the points labeled "1" and then tests the continuity between the points labeled "2". Wherever possible, the test points have been assigned to vias removed from but electrically connected to the coils' vias, so as to give a good test of the soldering.

      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM, n5gx_dt <djtosh@...> wrote:

      I'm confused (again).
      I have started winding the Band Pass Filter toroids. I wound L1, L2 & L3 using the 3 RED largest toroids in my parts pack. Seemed logical as they were in the outermost part of the bundle. But now that I am ready to move on to the next set I notice in addition to the 3 large red toroids, I have 9 small red, and 6 yellow. Closer inspection of the several pictures leads me to believe that I don't even need the large ones. I don't see any differentiation in the instructions between the large & small.

      When I think that for $25 more I could have bought a completely assembled board I really want to kick myself.

      Thanks for listening and appreciate any clarification.

      Dan

      --
      Cheers,
      Robby