looking for SRLite & SR6.2

  • f6itu
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2013
      Hi
      A friend of mine is looking for an old school softrock lite (a simple pcb will be fine) to build a panadapter for one of it's receiver. This gear will be if possible driven by a real Xtal (not a Silab vcxo, for phase noise, size and price considerations) and as small as possible (no fancy usb stuff, no "hand-swichable" input filtrer a.s.o.). In other words, a "stamp size" SR Lite 1st Gen?

      I'm myself looking for an Xtal based (SR 6.2) pcb or rig, even in bad shape, even without P.A., for the very same reason : moding a traditional rig to add SDR capabilities.
      Both of them will have to work at 10.7 MHz
      Does Tony (or any one else) got one of these goldies in stock ?
      73'
      Marc f6itu
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] looking for SRLite & SR6.2

        > Hi
        > A friend of mine is looking for an old school softrock lite (a simple pcb will be fine) to build a panadapter for one of it's
        > receiver. This gear will be if possible driven by a real Xtal (not a Silab vcxo, for phase noise, size and price considerations)
        > and as small as possible (no fancy usb stuff, no "hand-swichable" input filtrer a.s.o.). In other words, a "stamp size" SR Lite
        > 1st Gen?

        Marc,

        Although there are none on sale now I've not heard anyone say the Lite is discontinued.

        Disregarding size and price, (unless you have a special crystal made) a Si570 offers advantages. I think it has been shown that
        phase noise is not a problem. The ability to preset it to start at any frequency with an AVR makes it possible to decide on the
        exact frequency at any time.
        And I'd consider "subharmonic" mixing. It is ideal for a panadaptor, no signal actually at the centre to leak into the RX.

        Are you thinking of adding TX to a RX with the 6.2? I've not heard of anyone doing that.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2013
          Subject: RE : [softrock40] looking for SRLite & SR6.2

          Marc,

          Thanks for the links, I'll need a while to understand exactly how it works.

          I'd think there were quite a few abandoned 6.2s about. I've a 6.1 to which I added a Si570, maybe one of those is also a candidate?

          >configuring the Si570 with a different frequency than the traditional 54 MHz si easy to do. But considering the price and the
          >complexity of the stuff compared with an Xtal and a couple of J/K flip-flops, I definitely prefere the old school way. Thus without
          >mentioning the fact that using a wide band oscillator to generate a fixed frequency seems to me a real waste of ressources :-)

          Well, I'm a Si570 fan! I've 6 Lites with Si570s. I use them for long-term monitoring but can change frequency when required. And
          they are reusable. And there is no worry about needing to get a frequency correct the first time.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          > http://www.carnut.info/star-parts/builders-pics/jeff/jeff.htm
          >
          > (third picture from the top... finding the 6.2 board is like "where is waldo" picture... upper left corner of the rig). The
          > schematic is on a separate page
          > http://www.carnut.info/star-parts/builders-pics/jeff/MAY-2012/sdr-interface.jpg
          > You can ignore all the roofing filter stuff, but if you are playing on a crowded band, it helps.
          > Jeff made a very nice hack that could easily be adapted to many low IF tranceivers.
          >
          > The most stupid thing is that I gave away my last 6.2... anyhow, no regrets. It will help a SWL to pass his licence :- )

        • km5ht
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2013
            Hey;
            take a look at www.fivedash.com the SoftRock Lite II Combined Receiver Kit is rock bound. Go down to the bottom of the page and you will find a pull down menu for your IF center frequency. I ordered one for my son for his Bday, but he hasn't had a chance to build it yet. You may be able to find some youtube video on it as well. It's much smaller than it looks in the picture and you can't beat the price.

            73 Steve...

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "f6itu" <Marc.olanie@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > A friend of mine is looking for an old school softrock lite (a simple pcb will be fine) to build a panadapter for one of it's receiver. This gear will be if possible driven by a real Xtal (not a Silab vcxo, for phase noise, size and price considerations) and as small as possible (no fancy usb stuff, no "hand-swichable" input filtrer a.s.o.). In other words, a "stamp size" SR Lite 1st Gen?
            >
            > I'm myself looking for an Xtal based (SR 6.2) pcb or rig, even in bad shape, even without P.A., for the very same reason : moding a traditional rig to add SDR capabilities.
            > Both of them will have to work at 10.7 MHz
            > Does Tony (or any one else) got one of these goldies in stock ?
            > 73'
            > Marc f6itu

          • R. R. (Robby) Robson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 2013
              See http://wb5rvz.org/softrock_lite_ii/index?changeBands=no
              and click on the "Bands" tab to get a dropdown list of the HF (and IF) options documented on the WB5RVZ.org site

              --
              Cheers,
              Robby

              Richard R. (Robby) Robson
              LTC USA (RET)
            • f6itu
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
                Many thanks Richard.

                I'm quite familiar with your website, it's the cornerstone of the Softrock movement. You made a great job and I'll not thank you enough for your FB job.
                The problem was more a question of hardware supply (the "lite" web page is not reachable anymore on Five Dash and the 6.2 is definitely an old thing which is not sold anymore)

                Using a 6.2 at the IF stage is definitely a good idea : as it is a dual frequency Xtal based SR, you can use one oscillator in RX subharmonic mode to keep both receiving and panadapter functions runing without interfering with the normal RX chain of the rig, and the other oscillator in TX "normal" mode (with a good Xtal filter, you could even be rid of the "image" problem).

                73'
                Marc f6itu
              • Jabct1aos

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
                    What about the SoftRock Lite II Combined Receiver Kit Starting at: $21.00? You can select the crystal for the center freq. of your IF.

                    Steve...