Ensemble RX II no output

  • timhoy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2013
      At least I can't find it. Just finished the RX II, I was very careful, did good work, and I did all the checks that I could do with a VOM. All looked good, including calibration.
      But I have tried to use PowerSDR and Rocky, and I can't see any signal. The trace and noise level look the same with and without power applied.
      Any clues out there?
      73,
      Tim K6CA
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2013
        > At least I can't find it. Just finished the RX II, I was very careful, did good work, and I did all the checks that I could do
        > with a VOM. All looked good, including calibration.
        > But I have tried to use PowerSDR and Rocky, and I can't see any signal. The trace and noise level look the same with and without
        > power applied.

        Tim,

        Nothing, no jump when power is applied?
        Remove the soundcard cable from the Softrock. Touch the end. Do you see anything?
        If not then mixer settings, presuming you are plugged into Line Input.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • timhoy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2013
          Hello Alan,

          I said wrong. When I unplug the the audio line at the RX II I do get a jump, an increase in level and a hum. Plug back in the hum goes way and the level decreases. When plugged in it sounds like white noise on a band with no signals.
          73, Tim K6CA

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RX II no output
          >

          > > At least I can't find it. Just finished the RX II, I was very careful, did good work, and I did all the checks that I could do
          > > with a VOM. All looked good, including calibration.
          > > But I have tried to use PowerSDR and Rocky, and I can't see any signal. The trace and noise level look the same with and without
          > > power applied.
          >
          > Tim,
          >
          > Nothing, no jump when power is applied?
          > Remove the soundcard cable from the Softrock. Touch the end. Do you see anything?
          > If not then mixer settings, presuming you are plugged into Line Input.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2013
            Hi Tim,

            The next step is to plug/unplug the power into Softrock.
            If no jump, then the power circuit is the problem.
            If there is a jump, the next step is to touch the opamp input pins with a screwdriver (without shorting them). If no hum/jump, the opamp stage is dead. If there is hum, unplug/plug the antenna and tell us the results.
            This whole procedure to diagnose and isolate the faulty stage is probably somewhere on Alan's site.

            73, Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13, 2013
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2013
                Hello Mike,

                Unplug/plug power got a bump,
                touching the op amp got a bump and/or a hum,
                unplug/plug antenna - nothing, no change

                I'll try to check Alan's site. Thanks for the reply.
                Tim

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                > Hi Tim,
                >
                > The next step is to plug/unplug the power into Softrock.
                > If no jump, then the power circuit is the problem.
                > If there is a jump, the next step is to touch the opamp input pins with a screwdriver (without shorting them). If no hum/jump, the opamp stage is dead. If there is hum, unplug/plug the antenna and tell us the results.
                > This whole procedure to diagnose and isolate the faulty stage is probably somewhere on Alan's site.
                >
                > 73, Mike
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "timhoy" <timhoy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Alan,
                > >
                > > I said wrong. When I unplug the the audio line at the RX II I do get a jump, an increase in level and a hum. Plug back in the hum goes way and the level decreases. When plugged in it sounds like white noise on a band with no signals.
                > > 73, Tim K6CA

              • vbifyz
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
                  Hi Tim,
                  If you have a receiver that can listen to 28.200 or 7.050 (default freqs on powerup), you can use it to check the LO and divider stage. A wire antenna has to be fairly close to the Softrock board.
                  A frequent problem in the mixer stage is the transformers installed incorrectly or bad solder joints at the transformers.