Re: TXRX software options and sound source switching

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2006
      Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:

      > If I am a beginner as far as soundcard programming goes and I have not
      > writen programs that will run in Windows where would I start as far as
      > learning first the basics and then write maybe simple routines to start and
      > eventually to more complex. Are there tutorials around? What programming
      > language would be best to learn? Thanks!

      A few years ago I was asked to write a chapter for a book that was then published by the RSGB. The subject of the
      chapter was about dealing with the sound card in Windows, programming-wise. To better explain the text of the chapter, I
      wrote an example program in straight C, not C++, so that everybody could modify and compile it with almost any C
      compiler. The program is called Humid, that stands for HUM Instant Destroyer (forgive me...:-), as it reads audio data
      from the sound card, applies a comb filter to them, tuned either at 50 or 60 Hz, then those filtered audio data are
      played back through the sound card in real time. IMHO it is an easy to understand example of interfacing the sound card
      under Windows, without resorting to other packages, like Portaudio, which, though very good, add unneeded levels of
      complexity, trying to be as general as possible and multiplatform.

      If you want to download the source code of Humid, it is here :
      http://sundry.i2phd.com/humid.zip

      73 Alberto I2PHD