SoftRock RX on a Laptop with no audio-in port

  • jmsgene
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hi Group,

      Anybody tried using SoftRock RX Ensemble II HF Receiver with a Win XP/7 laptop which has no audio-in. Will the mic input work instead of the audio-in, or do I need to get an external usb sound card. Which external sound card work well.

      Any recommendation for the antenna and power supply.

      Any experience installing on a computer with Linux

      Thank you
      Happy DXing
    • km5ht
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
        Some laptops that have stereo input will work. You need to decode both channels.

        73 Steve...

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
          > Some laptops that have stereo input will work. You need to decode both channels.

          Yes, many newer laptops can be configured. Here is my netbook <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/sdronasus>

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
            I found that my Laptop has only a Mono Mic. I came across iMic USB External Sound Card but it is only capable of operating at 48 KHz.
            Is 96 KHz enough?
            Any affordable USB soundcard that can handle 192 KHz

            thank u alan & km5ht

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jmsgene" <jmsgene@...> wrote:

            > Hi Group,
            >
            > Anybody tried using SoftRock RX Ensemble II HF Receiver with a Win XP/7 laptop which has no audio-in. Will the mic input work instead of the audio-in, or do I need to get an external usb sound card. Which external sound card work well.
            >
            > Any recommendation for the antenna and power supply.
            >
            > Any experience installing on a computer with Linux
            >
            > Thank you
            > Happy DXing

          • Simon Thompson
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
              I use the Imic, and it works.
              On 2013-08-07, at 12:53 PM, jmsgene <jmsgene@...> wrote:

              I found that my Laptop has only a Mono Mic. I came across iMic USB External Sound Card but it is only capable of operating at 48 KHz.
              Is 96 KHz enough?
              Any affordable USB soundcard that can handle 192 KHz

              thank u alan & km5ht

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jmsgene" <jmsgene@...> wrote:

              > Hi Group,
              >
              > Anybody tried using SoftRock RX Ensemble II HF Receiver with a Win XP/7 laptop which has no audio-in. Will the mic input work instead of the audio-in, or do I need to get an external usb sound card. Which external sound card work well.
              >
              > Any recommendation for the antenna and power supply.
              >
              > Any experience installing on a computer with Linux
              >
              > Thank you
              > Happy DXing

            • vbifyz
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
                There are used laptops on Craigslist these days with built in adequate HD audio. A 4-5 years old laptop goes for under $100, you just need to know which makes/models have it. I grabbed an HP DV2500 with IDT chipset that can do 192kHz/16bit. It is not as good as E-MU 0202, but good enough for everyday listening.

                73, Mike