HDSDR - CPU usage / temperature

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2013
      Just noticed this and thought I will post it if anyone is interested. Using HDSDR, I noticed my cpu usage and temperature were both abnormally high - much higher than I remembered it being before. Snooped around a bit and discovered that I had the RF Display speed maxed out. Lowering this just a bit had a dramatic effect on cpu usage: it dropped from around 40% down to around 10%, and cpu temperature also decreased. Interestingly, changing the bandwidth (192000 down to 12000) had only a minor effect on cpu usage. I leave the Softrock on a lot just to listen to AM broadcast band while doing other tasks, so I am now running at lower settings here unless there is a good reason not to - saves on CPU wear and tear!
    • Adam Jacobs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2013
        FYI, this also works the same on pretty much any other software application with a scrolling waterfall that I've used. JT65-HF is a great example. I used to run JT65 on a P3-1ghz machine, it would completely bog down with normal JT65-HF UI settings but worked great with the waterfall slowed to the minimum. I guess all of those FFT's for generating the display must use CPU. :D

        -73 Adam W7QI

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2013
          > FYI, this also works the same on pretty much any other software
          > application with a scrolling waterfall that I've used. JT65-HF is a
          > great example. I used to run JT65 on a P3-1ghz machine, it would
          > completely bog down with normal JT65-HF UI settings but worked great
          > with the waterfall slowed to the minimum. I guess all of those FFT's for
          > generating the display must use CPU. :D

          Yes, graphics is a major CPU hogger.
          That may be one reason people see different CPU loads for different software.
          Reducing the refresh rate reduces CPU.
          And note you may turn off HDSDR's display completely, Visualisation:- de-select both displays.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ