NO si570 connected

  • kd0ucr
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
      Update on the troubles I'm having with my softrock 30/20/17 ensemble II. When I first install drivers and plug it in on a new windows xp computer, sometimes it works great, until I reboot, then it usually stops working and CFGSR says "NO si570 connected". I have no problems with XP of CFGSR "seeing" that the softrock box is connected. I can even hear and see signals on powerSDR-IQ, but I can't change the frequency of the softrock and have no way to determine what the frequency actually is.

      I have had this happen on 4 different windows xp computers each time, and I don't know of any obvious common denominator except that these machines are not new (one had only low speed USB ports, for example). Moreover, I have now tried 2 different softrock 30/20/17 boards, both assembled for me and tested by fivedash.com to make sure there's nothing wrong with the radio itself, and I have tried two different power supplies (one very high quality).

      Usually, it works when I first install it and plug it into a new machine, but then stops working (ie, can't tune and CFGSR can't see the si570 as connected) or only works rarely thereafter.

      To install, I am using the following procedure one each computer:
      1. installing with the pe0fk0 automatic installer
      2. installing CFGSR
      3. installing power-SDR-IQ

      Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any ideas? I admit I'm sort of at a loss. I have a sense there is something embarrassingly obvious that I'm doing wrong, but I would be thrilled to have my foolishness publicly displayed if it meant getting this cool little radio to work in my set-up!

      All the best,
      KD0UCR
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] NO si570 connected

        > Update on the troubles I'm having with my softrock 30/20/17 ensemble II. When I first install drivers and plug it in on a new
        > windows xp computer, sometimes it works great, until I reboot, then it usually stops working and CFGSR says "NO si570 connected".
        > I have no problems with XP of CFGSR "seeing" that the softrock box is connected. I can even hear and see signals on powerSDR-IQ,
        > but I can't change the frequency of the softrock and have no way to determine what the frequency actually is.
        >
        > I have had this happen on 4 different windows xp computers each time, and I don't know of any obvious common denominator except
        > that these machines are not new

        I really am at a loss.
        Like many here I have been using USB Softrocks for maybe 5 years on many XP computers.
        The only time I have seen "No Si570 connected" has been when there has been a definite fault.

        I still cannot see this as a driver fault. If CFGSR shows the green light then the driver has done it's job, the ATTiny is
        connected. If CFGSR reports no Si570 then it is reporting what the ATTiny tells it.

        Does this still happen if no audio leads, antenna or 12V is connected to the Softrock? Just the USB?
        You may still run SDR software like this, it will not know there is no 12V. Obviously no signals will show. You can monitor the
        Si570's divided frequency on a HF RX. Maybe even the other Softrock if you have another soundcard. Even a cheap mono dongle would
        make a basic RX..
        If the Si570 is connected to the ATTiny the divided frequency will startup around 7.04MHz unless you have changed it.
        If the ATTiny is not connected to the Si570 then it will startup at around 14.08MHz.

        Have you tried anything other than PSDR?

        When you get the CFGSR fault message do you have any other SDR software running? Even then the message is usually a USB error
        because the controller is already claimed.

        As I've said, I do not remember anyone else having this problem over the last 5 years or so.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        (one had only low speed USB ports, for example). Moreover, I have now tried 2 different softrock 30/20/17 boards, both assembled
        for me and tested by fivedash.com to make sure there's nothing wrong with the radio itself, and I have tried two different power
        supplies (one very high quality).

        > Usually, it works when I first install it and plug it into a new machine, but then stops working (ie, can't tune and CFGSR can't
        > see the si570 as connected) or only works rarely thereafter.
        >
        > To install, I am using the following procedure one each computer:
        > 1. installing with the pe0fk0 automatic installer
        > 2. installing CFGSR
        > 3. installing power-SDR-IQ

      • kd0ucr
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
          Thanks, Alan, I'll try what you suggest tonight. I am finding the same result with Rocky, HDSDR and PowerSDR-IQ. Like I said, I feel like there must be something quite obvious that I'm overlooking...

          I get the same error whether power is applied or not, so I can answer that question now. That's why I was suspicious it was a power supply issue. But then I learned that the AVR chip and the si570 are powered by the USB connection, and only the other circuitry is powered by the 12 volt, so this seems unlikely.

          > Subject: [softrock40] NO si570 connected
          >

          > > Update on the troubles I'm having with my softrock 30/20/17 ensemble II. When I first install drivers and plug it in on a new
          > > windows xp computer, sometimes it works great, until I reboot, then it usually stops working and CFGSR says "NO si570 connected".
          > > I have no problems with XP of CFGSR "seeing" that the softrock box is connected. I can even hear and see signals on powerSDR-IQ,
          > > but I can't change the frequency of the softrock and have no way to determine what the frequency actually is.
          > >
          > > I have had this happen on 4 different windows xp computers each time, and I don't know of any obvious common denominator except
          > > that these machines are not new
          >
          > I really am at a loss.
          > Like many here I have been using USB Softrocks for maybe 5 years on many XP computers.
          > The only time I have seen "No Si570 connected" has been when there has been a definite fault.
          >
          > I still cannot see this as a driver fault. If CFGSR shows the green light then the driver has done it's job, the ATTiny is
          > connected. If CFGSR reports no Si570 then it is reporting what the ATTiny tells it.
          >
          > Does this still happen if no audio leads, antenna or 12V is connected to the Softrock? Just the USB?
          > You may still run SDR software like this, it will not know there is no 12V. Obviously no signals will show. You can monitor the
          > Si570's divided frequency on a HF RX. Maybe even the other Softrock if you have another soundcard. Even a cheap mono dongle would
          > make a basic RX..
          > If the Si570 is connected to the ATTiny the divided frequency will startup around 7.04MHz unless you have changed it.
          > If the ATTiny is not connected to the Si570 then it will startup at around 14.08MHz.
          >
          > Have you tried anything other than PSDR?
          >
          > When you get the CFGSR fault message do you have any other SDR software running? Even then the message is usually a USB error
          > because the controller is already claimed.
          >
          > As I've said, I do not remember anyone else having this problem over the last 5 years or so.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
          >
          > (one had only low speed USB ports, for example). Moreover, I have now tried 2 different softrock 30/20/17 boards, both assembled
          > for me and tested by fivedash.com to make sure there's nothing wrong with the radio itself, and I have tried two different power
          > supplies (one very high quality).
          > >
          > > Usually, it works when I first install it and plug it into a new machine, but then stops working (ie, can't tune and CFGSR can't
          > > see the si570 as connected) or only works rarely thereafter.
          > >
          > > To install, I am using the following procedure one each computer:
          > > 1. installing with the pe0fk0 automatic installer
          > > 2. installing CFGSR
          > > 3. installing power-SDR-IQ

        • kd0ucr
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
            Incidentally, this thread from a while back sounds much like what I've been dealing with and has given me some ideas on more things to try (in case anyone else out there is having similar challenges)...

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Alan, I'll try what you suggest tonight. I am finding the same result with Rocky, HDSDR and PowerSDR-IQ. Like I said, I feel like there must be something quite obvious that I'm overlooking...
            >
            > I get the same error whether power is applied or not, so I can answer that question now. That's why I was suspicious it was a power supply issue. But then I learned that the AVR chip and the si570 are powered by the USB connection, and only the other circuitry is powered by the 12 volt, so this seems unlikely.

          • The Silver Fox
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013

              While others insist this is a infrequent occurrence I have had variations of it happening on all my windows incantations although I haven’t seen it yet on Win 8.  Almost everyday I have some USB device that will not autodetect.  I am not going to outline why this happens but it involves hidden devices and the hardware abstraction layer within windows.  The only solutions that work part time is moving another usb device into the same USB slot that the radio was in and then try re-inserting it.  I also found that attaching the radio to a Linux box usually will make it work on return to Windows.  While I have this problem almost every day with Window 7 Home Pro I fix it by either electrically unplugging the USB device and plugging it into the same or other USB ports until it is detected.  This is not 100% successful.  When it doesn’t work I find the slot in the device manager and uninstall the hub.  I then ask it to search for new devices.  This will rediscover the hub and any device plugged into it.

              Your mileage may vary.

              Alan – W6ARH

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                usually .. a reboot with every thing hooked up is the cure for me ---- this is of corse --- works after it was once working and all devices are in the same ports when it was working ...

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                  At the end he doesn't have 5v in the hub...or usb port...

                  73

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                    Subject: [softrock40] Re: NO si570 connected

                    > Incidentally, this thread from a while back sounds much like what I've been dealing with and has given me some ideas on more
                    > things to try (in case anyone else out there is having similar challenges)...

                    ATTiny firmware and CFGSR...

                    And the pictures from the questioner are still there..

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                      Subject: RE: [softrock40] NO si570 connected

                      > While others insist this is a infrequent occurrence I have had variations of
                      > it happening on all my windows incantations although I haven't seen it yet
                      > on Win 8. Almost everyday I have some USB device that will not autodetect.

                      Alan,

                      USB connection problems are well known. Usually there is a work-round. Sometimes (rarely?) it is accepted that the computer USB is
                      not working too well.
                      This is something different.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • kd0ucr
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                        Alan,

                        Your suggestion to try seeing if the error was the same with everything save the USB unplugged softrock proved quite interesting! This morning, with only the USB cable plugged in, I found no "No si570 connected" error from the softrock -- all readings on the test screen of CFGSR were normal. I clicked "repeat" on the test screen and added things back one by one. When I connected my code key, the message switched to "NO si570 connected" and unplugging the code key fixed this. I tried this repeatedly.

                        This may be why I had initial good results when I first plugged it in, I probably didn't have the key plugged in until I was about to tune my antenna.

                        GREAT suggestion!

                        So, now CFGSR appears to be working properly because it recognizes that si570 is connected and even resets the frequency to the default if I click "reboot."

                        Still can't change tune frequency, though...

                        Kevin
                        KD0UCR

                        > Subject: [softrock40] NO si570 connected
                        >

                        > > Update on the troubles I'm having with my softrock 30/20/17 ensemble II. When I first install drivers and plug it in on a new
                        > > windows xp computer, sometimes it works great, until I reboot, then it usually stops working and CFGSR says "NO si570 connected".
                        > > I have no problems with XP of CFGSR "seeing" that the softrock box is connected. I can even hear and see signals on powerSDR-IQ,
                        > > but I can't change the frequency of the softrock and have no way to determine what the frequency actually is.
                        > >
                        > > I have had this happen on 4 different windows xp computers each time, and I don't know of any obvious common denominator except
                        > > that these machines are not new
                        >
                        > I really am at a loss.
                        > Like many here I have been using USB Softrocks for maybe 5 years on many XP computers.
                        > The only time I have seen "No Si570 connected" has been when there has been a definite fault.
                        >
                        > I still cannot see this as a driver fault. If CFGSR shows the green light then the driver has done it's job, the ATTiny is
                        > connected. If CFGSR reports no Si570 then it is reporting what the ATTiny tells it.
                        >
                        > Does this still happen if no audio leads, antenna or 12V is connected to the Softrock? Just the USB?
                        > You may still run SDR software like this, it will not know there is no 12V. Obviously no signals will show. You can monitor the
                        > Si570's divided frequency on a HF RX. Maybe even the other Softrock if you have another soundcard. Even a cheap mono dongle would
                        > make a basic RX..
                        > If the Si570 is connected to the ATTiny the divided frequency will startup around 7.04MHz unless you have changed it.
                        > If the ATTiny is not connected to the Si570 then it will startup at around 14.08MHz.
                        >
                        > Have you tried anything other than PSDR?
                        >
                        > When you get the CFGSR fault message do you have any other SDR software running? Even then the message is usually a USB error
                        > because the controller is already claimed.
                        >
                        > As I've said, I do not remember anyone else having this problem over the last 5 years or so.
                        >
                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        >
                        > (one had only low speed USB ports, for example). Moreover, I have now tried 2 different softrock 30/20/17 boards, both assembled
                        > for me and tested by fivedash.com to make sure there's nothing wrong with the radio itself, and I have tried two different power
                        > supplies (one very high quality).
                        > >
                        > > Usually, it works when I first install it and plug it into a new machine, but then stops working (ie, can't tune and CFGSR can't
                        > > see the si570 as connected) or only works rarely thereafter.
                        > >
                        > > To install, I am using the following procedure one each computer:
                        > > 1. installing with the pe0fk0 automatic installer
                        > > 2. installing CFGSR
                        > > 3. installing power-SDR-IQ

                      • kd0ucr
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                          I re-installed the drivers again, and now it seems to be working, except that CFGSR can no longer see the si570 as connected if the key is plugged in. I suspect that my key cable may be shorted. Well, I've my fingers crossed that upon reboot, this little guy is still up and running -- THANKS all for helpful suggestions!!!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013

                            >I re-installed the drivers again, and now it seems to be working, except that CFGSR can no longer see the si570 as connected if the
                            >key is plugged in. I suspect that my key cable may be shorted. Well, I've my fingers crossed that upon reboot, this little guy is
                            >still up and running -- THANKS all for helpful suggestions!!!

                            Kevin,

                            I suppose I should have thought of this...
                            But is your key a straight one fitted with a mono plug?
                            The socket is wired for a paddle, a mono plug when inserted switches Q1 on shorting the Si570 control.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • kd0ucr
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                              YES! Thanks, I never thought of this as possibly shorting the si570! So, it seems the new board works, except for this user-related error. The last board produced the same "No si570 connected" even without the key (or anything else) plugged in. I also noticed that I couldn't calibrate the last board, so I suspect that the fault in my first board and the wrong plug in the second board resulted in the same error "NO si570 connected" in CFGSR.

                              Thank you for your assistance, I'm delighted to know what I'm doing wrong!

                              Out of curiosity, you CAN use a straight key with softrock, can't you?

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013

                                > you CAN use a straight key with softrock, can't you?

                                I think so, use the tip connection?
                                But you may then come across the latency problem as is being discussed on another thread.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              • Simon Thompson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                                  Yes, you can use a straight key with a softrock, or at least you can in DSP Radio.