Re: [softrock40] Re: Battery power for original SoftRock40 (ver4)?

  • Dan Andersson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
      Graham,

      Yes, there are always designers that cannot read the component datasheets
      properly. It's always been like that and I'm totally convinced we will
      continue to meet these illiterate engineers/designers.

      However... running a kit from batteries, especially NiCad acks, makes it
      important to be able to use all possible power before your voltage drops
      to "unregulated". Even if 0.5V can be seen as a small voltage, it caneasily
      be just these 0.5Volts where I have the batteries maximum capacity.

      Also, I'd like to define the new type of mobile phones as RF devices... and
      many of them use the LDO regulators.

      Anyway, It never hurts to remind people to try to understand the components
      they use but I disagree in using the argument as an excuse to continue to use
      older generations of components unless there are special reasons for it. By
      all means, oscillation can be one of them and if the designer can't make his
      design stable - he have to accept a shorter battery life.

      Now what, ham radio... Yeah, get your self a motor bike battery on 12V and
      run your low power consuming homebrews with that. There are lot of new tasty
      hermetically sealed lead/acid batteries nowadays, and they are cheap to!

      //Dan

      --
      Dan Andersson, M0DFI
      dan@... dan.andersson@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2006
        Tony:

        I just completed building a SoftRockLite for 30 meters.
        It works amazingly well, and it worked the first time I turned it on.
        So, thanks for your efforts and good work getting it out to us.

        Several questions:

        1.) In measuring the input impedance (with MFJ-259B) I note that the
        series resonator on the antenna input came out tuned for about 10.9 MHz.
        I assume that it should be centered on about 10.12 MHz or something down
        there?
        Is there any reason that I should not re-trim the input resonator for
        10.1 MHz and pick up a few more dB sensitivity?

        2.) How high in frequency can the SoftRockLite design go? What limits the
        upper frequency performance (assuming you adjust the input resonators)?
        Is it the time skew between the Johnson counter 90 degree outputs?
        Or the switching time of the switches?

        3.) On the SoftRock V7 you went all the way up to 30 MHz, and generated
        the 90 degree LO shift differently. The question I am asking is, how
        far from
        90 degrees can the two LO inputs into the switches be, and still compensate
        for it in the backend software? 2 or three degrees?

        Thanks,
        --- Graham / KE9H

        ==

      • Jerry Flanders
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2006
          FYI, if you are shopping for a "modern" computer - this one followed
          me home today:

          http://compusa.shoplocal.com/compusa/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2402252&rapid=0&listingid=-2094009557&offerid=

          Emachines T5216 Pentium D Processor 805 2.66GHz 512MB, 160GB HD, DVD+-RW

          It has one parallel and one serial port along with two PCI slots (one
          empty, one with a modem installed). No monitor, no printer.

          $300 after rebate, ending 12/16.

          I have a Rosewill 1P2S pci card on order to give it more ports. Don't
          need the modem card, so can put the Delta-44 there.

          Don't know what performance to expect as a dedicated SDR processor,
          but probably pretty good per dollar.

          Jerry W4UK
        • Jerry Flanders
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2006
            Status report:

            I got the new computer configured with the Delta-44 and a cheapie
            1P2S card and connected up the SDR-1000 to it an hour ago. Been
            sitting here copying 75 meters since then .

            As I expected, it is showing very low CPU utilization. Typically 2-4%
            unless I switch on ANF or NR. It is dedicated to the SDR, so no
            conventional software is running.

            These are still on sale for a couple days more at CompUSA.

            Jerry W4UK