Re: [softrock40] SDR dongle for RX on the air bands? Bit off topic, sorry.

  • Mansueto Grech
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 28, 2013

      Hi Chris,
      Yes the rtlsdr dongles give you access to the frequency and the 2 I have both cover airband. The rest is the software that has to cater for it.
      I believe both std# and hdsdr have AM mode included.
      One word of caution, if you live closely to some high power station then I would suggest a band pass filter.
      btw. My dongles are both rtl chipset the only difference is one uses a E4000 and the other uses a T820 tuner.
      Have fun.
      Mans 9H1GB

      On Jul 27, 2013 10:46 PM, "Chris Wilson" <chris@...> wrote:

        27/07/2013 21:41

      Apologies for pushing the boundaries of what's on topic here, but I
      respect the deep knowledge base and hope you can humour me. I have
      several Softrocks, both RX and RXTX, but they are all for HF. I have
      a couple of pals who fly for fun from the local airfield about 10
      miles away and I would like to be able to listen to the tower on
      around 122 MHz. Would one of the "dongles" I hear about allow me to
      listen? I would like to use HDSDR as the software, as I am a great fan
      of it and understand most of it ;) I don't want to spend a lot of
      money, and would prefer not to wait weeks and weeks for something from
      China, although if the price is bargain enough my parsimony may kick
      in :) Thanks, I am in England UK.

      --
             Best Regards,
                         Chris Wilson.   2E0ILY

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
          softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Chris Wilson
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013

        > Hi Chris,
        > Yes the rtlsdr dongles give you access to the frequency and the 2 I
        > have both cover airband. The rest is the software that has to cater for it.
        > I believe both std# and hdsdr have AM mode included.
        > One word of caution, if you live closely to some high power station
        > then I would suggest a band pass filter.
        > btw. My dongles are both rtl chipset the only difference is one
        > uses a E4000 and the other uses a T820 tuner.
        > Have fun.
        > Mans 9H1GB
        > On Jul 27, 2013 10:46 PM, "Chris Wilson" <chris@...> wrote:

        30/07/2013 15:53

        Thanks everyone for the advice, have ordered this:

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newsky-TV28T-v2-USB-DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-MCX-Input-/160896092118?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

        and an MCX to BNC adaptor from a UK vendor. Hopefully this is correct?
        I appreciate the help. Cheers.

        --
        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013
          Hi,

          I've already purchased several from this source. Reliable and works...
          have fun !

          sylvain F4GKR

          2013/7/30 Chris Wilson <chris@...>

          > Hi Chris,
          > Yes the rtlsdr dongles give you access to the frequency and the 2 I
          > have both cover airband. The rest is the software that has to cater for it.
          > I believe both std# and hdsdr have AM mode included.
          > One word of caution, if you live closely to some high power station
          > then I would suggest a band pass filter.
          > btw. My dongles are both rtl chipset the only difference is one
          > uses a E4000 and the other uses a T820 tuner.
          > Have fun.
          > Mans 9H1GB
          > On Jul 27, 2013 10:46 PM, "Chris Wilson" <chris@...> wrote:

          30/07/2013 15:53

          Thanks everyone for the advice, have ordered this:

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newsky-TV28T-v2-USB-DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-MCX-Input-/160896092118?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

          and an MCX to BNC adaptor from a UK vendor. Hopefully this is correct?
          I appreciate the help. Cheers.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

        • EB4APL
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013

            On 30/07/2013 16:54, Chris Wilson wrote:

            > Hi Chris,
            > Yes the rtlsdr dongles give you access to the frequency and the 2 I
            > have both cover airband. The rest is the software that has to cater for it.
            > I believe both std# and hdsdr have AM mode included.
            > One word of caution, if you live closely to some high power station
            > then I would suggest a band pass filter.
            > btw. My dongles are both rtl chipset the only difference is one
            > uses a E4000 and the other uses a T820 tuner.
            > Have fun.
            > Mans 9H1GB
            > On Jul 27, 2013 10:46 PM, "Chris Wilson" <chris@...>wrote:

            30/07/2013 15:53

            Thanks everyone for the advice, have ordered this:

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newsky-TV28T-v2-USB-DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-MCX-Input-/160896092118?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

            and an MCX to BNC adaptor from a UK vendor. Hopefully this is correct?
            I appreciate the help. Cheers.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

            _
            Chris,

            I don't know the kind of adapter that you ordered, but it is advisable to use a pigtail with a BNC connector in one end and a MCX (best a right angled one) in the other.  This helps to relieve stresses in the dongle connector and they are dirty cheap those days.

            73 de Ignacio EB4APL

          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 30, 2013
              30/07/2013 17:26

              The adaptor is straight but on a pigtail, I nearly went for the 90
              degree one but had doubts and went for the straight one, but it should
              do the job if I am careful to avoid tugging at it? Cheers.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                I bought one of these RTL2832-R820 dongles and just received it. I haven't installed any software yet. I have read instructions that if I am going to use HDSDR or SDR#, NOT to install the software that came with the dongle.

                I am curious about which software is best. I will be using a computer running Win XP.  Are there advantages and disadvantages to using HDSDR compared with SDR# ? Are there any particular difficulties I can expect in trying to install and use either? I've looked over various sites that explain how to install each and some of it is a bit confusing and conflicting from site to site.

                Is it possible to set up two separte versions of HDSDR on a computer, in different folders, e.g. calling one folder HDSDR1 and the other HDSDR2? If that is possible, this way I could maintain one using the Si570 DLL for my Softrock and the other using the RTL DLL for the dongle.

                73, Zack W9SZ

                On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                > a couple of pals who fly for fun from the local airfield about 10
                > miles away and I would like to be able to listen to the tower on
                > around 122 MHz. Would one of the "dongles" I hear about allow me to
                > listen? I would like to use HDSDR as the software, as I am a great fan
                > of it and understand most of it ;) I don't want to spend a lot of
                > money, and would prefer not to wait weeks and weeks for something from
                > China,

                Chris,

                Well, there is the VHF Softrock that could be tuned there.

                HDSDR and dongles here <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr#RTL%20Dongle> and the links. You will
                find a link to a supplier in Jersey.
                And loads more on the web if you search.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jan Andersen
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                  Zack,
                  If you want to use the RTLSDR for SDR in any way, don't install the software from the CD. That one can only be used for digital TV, and afaik will not work with the American digital TV system.

                  Vy 73 de Jan. PA9QV/OZ9QV

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013

                    >I bought one of these RTL2832-R820 dongles and just received it. I haven't
                    > installed any software yet. I have read instructions that if I am going to
                    > use HDSDR or SDR#, NOT to install the software that came with the dongle.
                    >
                    > I am curious about which software is best. I will be using a computer
                    > running Win XP. Are there advantages and disadvantages to using HDSDR
                    > compared with SDR# ? Are there any particular difficulties I can expect in
                    > trying to install and use either? I've looked over various sites that
                    > explain how to install each and some of it is a bit confusing and
                    > conflicting from site to site.
                    >
                    > Is it possible to set up two separte versions of HDSDR on a computer, in
                    > different folders, e.g. calling one folder HDSDR1 and the other HDSDR2? If
                    > that is possible, this way I could maintain one using the Si570 DLL for my
                    > Softrock and the other using the RTL DLL for the dongle.

                    Zack,

                    It really depends which software you prefer.
                    HDSDR instructions here <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr>
                    Note startup profiles and dongle "Read more" instructions. Two installations is certainly no problem. Very probably that is an
                    alternative to profiles but I've not tried.
                    You can have any number of profiles.
                    If you want SDR# use the install program.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Zack Widup
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                      Thanks Alan. I haven't had the need for the Profiles feature yet. I guess I need to do some experimenting!

                      73, Zack W9SZ

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013

                        > I bought one of these RTL2832-R820 dongles and just received it. I
                        > haven't installed any software yet. I have read instructions that if
                        > I am going to use HDSDR or SDR#, NOT to install the software that came with the dongle.

                        > I am curious about which software is best. I will be using a
                        > computer running Win XP. Are there advantages and disadvantages to
                        > using HDSDR compared with SDR# ? Are there any particular
                        > difficulties I can expect in trying to install and use either? I've
                        > looked over various sites that explain how to install each and some
                        > of it is a bit confusing and conflicting from site to site.

                        > Is it possible to set up two separte versions of HDSDR on a
                        > computer, in different folders, e.g. calling one folder HDSDR1 and
                        > the other HDSDR2? If that is possible, this way I could maintain one
                        > using the Si570 DLL for my Softrock and the other using the RTL DLL for the dongle.

                        > 73, Zack W9SZ

                        28/08/2013 19:40

                        Evening Zack. I am a new purchaser and user of of these dongles and as
                        an avid fan of HDSDR I loaded the .dll file to use HDSDR first. I was
                        a bit disappointed as it seemed to have a bit of a mind of its own,
                        and quite often it would hang, or give a message saying the frequency
                        selected was outside the LO range, or something to that effect. It
                        worked, but not smoothly and flawlessly as it does with my Softrocks.
                        I tried the SDR# software and it's been rock solid, the audio seems to
                        sound better too, but that's a bit subjective I know, but it never
                        freezes or loses frequency tracking. I find I use SDR# with the dongle
                        and HDSDR for HF with the Softrocks. I am unable to have both
                        programmes running simultaneously though, even with the audio blanked.
                        Maybe that is technically impossible though, on the same PC, I am not
                        sure. I persevere with HDSDR and the dongle and sometimes it works
                        fine for a couple of days, but then plays up. Possibly the .dll for
                        the dongle is not as "sorted" as for the Softrocks? All I can say is
                        try both. If HDSDR was as stable with my dongle as with the Softrocks
                        I'd want to have two independent installations of HDSDR, one for each
                        receiver, and I believe that it is quite possible to do that.
                        Performance wise the dongle is impressive on VHF and UHF, amazingly so
                        for the price. I went bought a second one for use on a PC in the
                        bedroom ;) I looked at it and thought this can't possibly be any good,
                        but it's quite remarkable! Good luck, let us know how you get on and
                        which you prefer and find the most stable please.

                        --
                        Best Regards,
                        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                          Thanks Chris. That's one of the things I was wondering about. SDR# claims better usage of the CPU. That may have something to do with it. I just hope installation isn't too complicated, as I saw one note where someone had to try reinstalling either SDR# or HDSDR several times to get it to work.

                          73, Zack W9SZ

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013

                            > an avid fan of HDSDR I loaded the .dll file to use HDSDR first. I was
                            > a bit disappointed as it seemed to have a bit of a mind of its own,
                            > and quite often it would hang, or give a message saying the frequency
                            > selected was outside the LO range, or something to that effect. It
                            > worked, but not smoothly and flawlessly as it does with my Softrocks.

                            Chris,

                            Well, I use HDSDR in preference to SDR# and have no problems...

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • Chris Wilson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013

                              > Subject: Re: [softrock40] SDR dongle for RX on the air bands? Bit off topic, sorry.

                              >> an avid fan of HDSDR I loaded the .dll file to use HDSDR first. I was
                              >> a bit disappointed as it seemed to have a bit of a mind of its own,
                              >> and quite often it would hang, or give a message saying the frequency
                              >> selected was outside the LO range, or something to that effect. It
                              >> worked, but not smoothly and flawlessly as it does with my Softrocks.

                              > Chris,

                              > Well, I use HDSDR in preference to SDR# and have no problems...

                              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                              28/08/2013 22:56

                              Alan / Zack.

                              Alan, I suspect some of my problems may be my dinosaur computer, it really
                              does need replacing, so maybe it's on the edge of being able to run
                              this sort of software.

                              Zack, I had no issues at all loading the software, which is unusual
                              for me, as I am not particularly PC savvy. I followed the instructions
                              verbatim and it loaded and worked first time, in both instances. The
                              info on this software and the dongles is spread about the web a bit
                              though, I suggest you spend an hour collating relevant info and maybe
                              printing it out. Alan's site was very useful, and I used info from the
                              Zadig or whatever it's called site, the rtlsdr.org wiki and especially
                              the SDR# Quick Start pdf downloadable from http://www.atouk.com/wordpress/?page_id=237

                              Good luck!

                              --
                              Best Regards,