Re: Japanese CQ Magazine - SDR Project

  • zcx2004
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@...> wrote:

      > If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
      > schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
      > article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take that
      > on if there is interest.

      Hi Walter

      yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.

      TIA

      zcx
    • Dr. Gerd Köster DM2CDB
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        Hallo Walter,

        pleasure send schematics, Japanese sorry.

        vy 73 Gerd DM2CDB

        All,

        I don't know if this has been noted already, but the Dec issue of the
        Japanese language CQ Ham Radio magazine has a lead article, and full
        cover page, on a simple SDR receiver. They included a PCB in each
        magazine for the price of 980 yen (about $8.50 US). I believe this is
        200 yen more than the regular issue price. BTW, the issues regularly
        run about 300 pages. There is a photo of this month's issue at:

        http://www.cqpub. co.jp/cqham/ cq.htm

        It uses 74AC74 DIP for the clock divider, 74HC4066 for switches and
        an LM358 (or NJM2068 op amp) for the output integrator. The PCB is a
        little smaller than a credit card but square in shape.

        One interesting design feature is that the PCB has been laid out to
        use either an on-frequency single crystal or a 4x DIP oscillator. If
        the on-frequency crystal option is selected there is a place for an
        ICS512M 4x multiplier PLL.

        The article goes on to give a step by step instruction on the use of
        Rocky 1.5.

        If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
        schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
        article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take that
        on if there is interest.

        Appologies if this is a duplicate post. I composed the message in
        Outlook and may have sent it twice.

        73,
        Walter
        VE7WRS / JQ2PLP

      • Egbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "zcx2004" <zcx2004@...> wrote:

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@> wrote:
          >
          > > If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
          > > schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
          > > article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take
          that
          > > on if there is interest.
          > >

          > Hi Walter
          >
          > yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > zcx

          Hi there,

          I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
          http://zao.jp/radio/66DB_en/

          73's Egbert PAØEJH
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
            Egbert wrote:
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "zcx2004" <zcx2004@...> wrote:
            >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@> wrote:
            >>
            >>> If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
            >>> schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
            >>> article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take
            > that
            >>> on if there is interest.
            >>>
            >> Hi Walter
            >>
            >> yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.
            >>
            >> TIA
            >>
            >> zcx
            >>

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
            > http://zao.jp/radio/66DB_en/
            >
            > 73's Egbert PAØEJH

            There you go a two switch QSD, not as sensitive as a four switch unit
            but it works just fine for the lower bands.

            --

            Cecil
            KD5NWA

            "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
          • John Seager
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
              Hi  The circuit in the Japanese CQ Magazine is the one which Kazunori Miura published to this group in June. Since then he has upgraded 2 of the ICs and added a band pass filter. I made up the original design and it worked well. It had good I/Q separation, though some experiment was necessary to find the best value of RFC in the antenna circuit. When this was done the mirror-image suppression was similar to the excellent results we see with SoftRock. There was really troublesome RF breakthrough and I am sure this will have improved now the front end has a filter. It was notable that although the receiver functioned well on 3.5 MHz with a 14MHz chip oscillator, it wouldnt get much above 1MHz with a sine wave sig generator, so it clearly likes square waves best. It made up well ugly bug style on a piece of copper-clad board and it is quite nice to have bugs with legs you can hang a piece of wire on. Apart from that, softrock seems to have the edge on Soft66DB and of course at $23 you can get 2 softrock lites for the price of one!  John  G0UCP
            • Michael Rubitschka
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
                Hi

                Thank you verry much for the interesting link.
                Btw. I love this auto translations.
                Reminds me on vcr manuals especially how to programm them.

                f.e.

                >>>Since L1 is bifiler, it turns up and twists a PEW line.

                Ok, but now it comes! :

                >>>If it turns to a finger round and round through one of the two, it can twist easily.

                So please be carefull! :-)

                Re: Japanese CQ Magazine - SDR Project

                Posted by: "Egbert" jarings@...   pa0ejh

                Sat Dec 2, 2006 3:37 am (PST)

                Hi there,

                I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
                http://zao.jp/ radio/66DB_ en/

                73's Egbert PAØEJH

                Testen Sie Live.com - die schnelle, personalisierte Homepage, über die Sie auf alle für Sie relevanten Inhalte zentral zugreifen können. Hier klicken!
              • Dan Andersson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Yeah! But it's still better than spending a week with a parleur and manually
                  translating everything...

                  BTW! Have anyone encountered the Japanese "online realtime" translators yet?

                  Talk in your telephone and out pops Japanese synth voice... end vice versa of
                  course. One can of course wonder if it's better than the web translations...

                  // I wonder if they do American English to English - Imagine a Gordie boy
                  trying to talk with a Georgia bloke...
                  ( Two nations divided by a common language )

                  //Dan

                  --
                  Dan Andersson, M0DFI
                  dan@... dan.andersson@...