Re: [softrock40] Re: Can't change frequency of Softrock Ensemble 30/20/17

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 26 2:18 PM
      ----- Original Message -----
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: Can't change frequency of Softrock Ensemble 30/20/17

      > I'm grasping at straws -- but has anyone noticed problems with the softrock drivers after installing an rtl-sdr radio? This seems
      > to be a common denominator to the computers where I'm having trouble, and the rtl-sdr with sdr# uses some version of libusb that
      > may be incompatible with the libusb that the softrock relies on? The only computer I've not had problems with is the only one
      > that hasn't had an rtl-sdr installed with zadig...

      I've had a good play with the dongles.
      Certainly with 4 computers, no conflict in my case.

      But Zadig is brutal, it will do what you tell it without complaint.
      I have replaced other drivers with the dongle driver and had to dig in Device Manager to rectify my errors.
      But if you have done that with the ATTiny driver then I would not expect that to work at all. However just maybe...

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • kd0ucr
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 26 5:12 PM
        Sorry, I should stop writing so many messages.

        I came home tonight, plugged in the softrock on my home computer, and without doing ANYTHING else, it's working again.

        I'm quite perplexed. Whatever is going on, it's quite intermittent. Am I really the only one seeing this type of behavior?

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@...> wrote:

        > I'm grasping at straws -- but has anyone noticed problems with the softrock drivers after installing an rtl-sdr radio? This seems to be a common denominator to the computers where I'm having trouble, and the rtl-sdr with sdr# uses some version of libusb that may be incompatible with the libusb that the softrock relies on? The only computer I've not had problems with is the only one that hasn't had an rtl-sdr installed with zadig...
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, it was working great this morning, and then I rebooted the computer and the problem re-occurred. CFGSR says "no si570 detected". There were no additional software installs or updates (that I was aware of) in the interim.
        > >
        > > I didn't have time this morning to try fixing it the way I did last time with the manual removal of all copies of the drivers and reboot prior to re-installing the drivers, but obviously I have high hopes that this will again resolve the issue.
        > >
        > > But I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem besides me, of the drivers seeming to be needing reinstalling every couple weeks because suddenly the si570 can't be found by CFGSR and no software can tune the softrock?
        > >
        > > The only thing I can think that might have been different when I rebooted the time it stopped working is that the softrock was unpowered but connected while the computer rebooted.
        > >
        > > Anyway, has anyone else has had these symptoms re-occur and can advise me?
        > >
        > > Besides this issue, this little SDR has been fantastic!
        > >
        > > Kevin
        > > KD0UCR

        > > > 19/07/2013 17:50
        > > >
        > > > I am happy that you now have it working. I too have a 30/20/17 version
        > > > and have had some amazing long distance SSB voice contacts recently,
        > > > off a simple horizontal wire loop antenna. In fact I get a load more
        > > > satisfaction bagging contacts with 1 Watt than I do with 50 Watts with
        > > > my Kenwood 590. Thinking aloud I don't think the 590 has been used for a
        > > > couple of months :) Have fun now it's up and running.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Best Regards,
        > > > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

      • Milt Cram
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 26 5:37 PM
          On 7/26/2013 7:12 PM, kd0ucr wrote:
          > Sorry, I should stop writing so many messages.
          >
          > I came home tonight, plugged in the softrock on my home computer, and
          > without doing ANYTHING else, it's working again.
          >
          > I'm quite perplexed. Whatever is going on, it's quite intermittent.
          > Am I really the only one seeing this type of behavior?

          Kevin,

          Are you plugging the Softrock into the same USB port each time?

          In many cases, you have to install the driver for each port that you
          plan on using. If you install the driver with the Softrock connected to
          a particular USB port and then connect to a different port the next time
          you power up, the system may not recognize the Softrock.

          Have you tried using the program USBDeview to identify what is (or has
          ever been) connected to each USB port on your system? It can be quite
          helpful in diagnosing USB issues.

          73, Milt
          W8NUE
        • Chris Wilson
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 27 5:27 AM

            > I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look
            > good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch
            > in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

            > I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a
            > clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found
            > perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...

            27/07/2013 13:23

            That area you highlight in you photo doesn't look very good, if you
            compare with the page from the build notes it almost looks as if
            there's a solder splash grounding that Si570 pin 7. I would see just
            what's there under a bright light and magnification. See
            http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem.jpg to see them side by side.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 27 7:10 AM
              > That area you highlight in you photo doesn't look very good,

              if you
              > compare with the page from the build notes it almost looks as if
              > there's a solder splash grounding that Si570 pin 7. I would see just
              > what's there under a bright light and magnification. See
              > http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem.jpg to see them side by side.
              >
              > --

              Yes, Chris!
              I'd not looked too closely.
              I think my recommendation about a good bit and solder wick should be repeated.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Chris Wilson
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 27 8:52 AM

                > I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look
                > good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch
                > in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                > I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a
                > clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found
                > perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...

                27/07/2013 16:49

                As to how to fix this, if indeed it is an issue, see my modded
                picture, you need to make sure no electrical path exists in the pink
                shaded area, it looks as if there *MIGHT* be a partial connection
                joining pin 7 of the Si570 to the board's ground plane. Clean or
                abrade carefully the shaded area to remove any possible voltage path
                there.

                http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem1.jpg

                Alan is far more qualified to suggest what an intermittent ground
                path, maybe even a high resistance one, there might do.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY