Japanese CQ Magazine - SDR Project

  • wsalden
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
      All,

      I don't know if this has been noted already, but the Dec issue of the
      Japanese language CQ Ham Radio magazine has a lead article, and full
      cover page, on a simple SDR receiver. They included a PCB in each
      magazine for the price of 980 yen (about $8.50 US). I believe this is
      200 yen more than the regular issue price. BTW, the issues regularly
      run about 300 pages. There is a photo of this month's issue at:

      http://www.cqpub.co.jp/cqham/cq.htm

      It uses 74AC74 DIP for the clock divider, 74HC4066 for switches and
      an LM358 (or NJM2068 op amp) for the output integrator. The PCB is a
      little smaller than a credit card but square in shape.

      One interesting design feature is that the PCB has been laid out to
      use either an on-frequency single crystal or a 4x DIP oscillator. If
      the on-frequency crystal option is selected there is a place for an
      ICS512M 4x multiplier PLL.

      The article goes on to give a step by step instruction on the use of
      Rocky 1.5.

      If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
      schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
      article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take that
      on if there is interest.

      Appologies if this is a duplicate post. I composed the message in
      Outlook and may have sent it twice.

      73,
      Walter
      VE7WRS / JQ2PLP
    • zcx2004
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@...> wrote:

        > If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
        > schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
        > article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take that
        > on if there is interest.

        Hi Walter

        yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.

        TIA

        zcx
      • Dr. Gerd Köster DM2CDB
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
          Hallo Walter,

          pleasure send schematics, Japanese sorry.

          vy 73 Gerd DM2CDB

[...]

        • Egbert
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "zcx2004" <zcx2004@...> wrote:

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@> wrote:
            >
            > > If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
            > > schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
            > > article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take
            that
            > > on if there is interest.
            > >

            > Hi Walter
            >
            > yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > zcx

            Hi there,

            I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
            http://zao.jp/radio/66DB_en/

            73's Egbert PAØEJH
          • KD5NWA
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
              Egbert wrote:
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "zcx2004" <zcx2004@...> wrote:
              >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wsalden" <ve7wrs@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the
              >>> schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the
              >>> article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take
              > that
              >>> on if there is interest.
              >>>
              >> Hi Walter
              >>
              >> yes, I'd be interested to see the schematic.
              >>
              >> TIA
              >>
              >> zcx
              >>

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
              > http://zao.jp/radio/66DB_en/
              >
              > 73's Egbert PAØEJH

              There you go a two switch QSD, not as sensitive as a four switch unit
              but it works just fine for the lower bands.

              --

              Cecil
              KD5NWA

              "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
            • John Seager
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
                Hi  The circuit in the Japanese CQ Magazine is the one which Kazunori Miura published to this group in June. Since then he has upgraded 2 of the ICs and added a band pass filter. I made up the original design and it worked well. It had good I/Q separation, though some experiment was necessary to find the best value of RFC in the antenna circuit. When this was done the mirror-image suppression was similar to the excellent results we see with SoftRock. There was really troublesome RF breakthrough and I am sure this will have improved now the front end has a filter. It was notable that although the receiver functioned well on 3.5 MHz with a 14MHz chip oscillator, it wouldnt get much above 1MHz with a sine wave sig generator, so it clearly likes square waves best. It made up well ugly bug style on a piece of copper-clad board and it is quite nice to have bugs with legs you can hang a piece of wire on. Apart from that, softrock seems to have the edge on Soft66DB and of course at $23 you can get 2 softrock lites for the price of one!  John  G0UCP
              • Michael Rubitschka
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hi

                  Thank you verry much for the interesting link.
                  Btw. I love this auto translations.
                  Reminds me on vcr manuals especially how to programm them.

                  f.e.

                  >>>Since L1 is bifiler, it turns up and twists a PEW line.

                  Ok, but now it comes! :

                  >>>If it turns to a finger round and round through one of the two, it can twist easily.

                  So please be carefull! :-)

                  Re: Japanese CQ Magazine - SDR Project

                  Posted by: "Egbert" jarings@...   pa0ejh

                  Sat Dec 2, 2006 3:37 am (PST)

                  Hi there,

                  I think it is a upgrade from this version ,
                  http://zao.jp/ radio/66DB_ en/

                  73's Egbert PAØEJH

                  Testen Sie Live.com - die schnelle, personalisierte Homepage, über die Sie auf alle für Sie relevanten Inhalte zentral zugreifen können. Hier klicken!
                • Dan Andersson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Yeah! But it's still better than spending a week with a parleur and manually
                    translating everything...

                    BTW! Have anyone encountered the Japanese "online realtime" translators yet?

                    Talk in your telephone and out pops Japanese synth voice... end vice versa of
                    course. One can of course wonder if it's better than the web translations...

                    // I wonder if they do American English to English - Imagine a Gordie boy
                    trying to talk with a Georgia bloke...
                    ( Two nations divided by a common language )

                    //Dan

                    --
                    Dan Andersson, M0DFI
                    dan@... dan.andersson@...