Japanese CQ Magazine - SDR project

  • ve7wrs
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      All,

      I don't know if this has been noted already, but the Dec issue of the Japanese language CQ Ham Radio magazine has a lead article, and full cover page, on a simple SDR receiver. They included a PCB in each magazine for the price of 980 yen (about $8.50 US). I believe this is 200 yen more than the regular issue price. BTW, the issues regularly run about 300 pages. There is a photo of this month's issue at:

      It uses 74AC74 DIP for the clock divider, 74HC4066 for switches and an LM358 (or NJM2068 op amp) for the output integrator. The PCB is a little smaller than a credit card but square in shape.

      One interesting design feature is that the PCB has been laid out to use either an on-frequency single crystal or a 4x DIP oscillator. If the on-frequency crystal option is selected there is a place for an ICS512M 4x multiplier PLL.

      The article goes on to give a step by step instruction on the use of Rocky 1.5.

      If there is any interest I will attempt to scan and upload the schematic. Sorry, I don't speak Japanese so I can't translate the article. Perhaps one of the frequent Japanese posters will take that on if there is interest.

      73,
      Walter
      VE7WRS / JQ2PLP