Re: [softrock40] Re: TXRX software options and sound source switching

  • Ken N9VV
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
      Loren, I bet that the "soundcard" programming that you referenced
      has something to do with DSP.

      You might want to start with some basic and essential information
      about DSP technology. Here is a famous website with a FREE copy of
      a massive book called:
      "The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing"
      By Steven W. Smith, Ph.D. http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

      there are dozens of other resources out on the web. Flex-Radio
      also has a knowledge base with loads of good information. Bill
      KD5TFD has published modified PowerSDR consoles that support the
      beautiful SoftRock receivers and now the new RxTx that he and Tony
      KB9YIG designed. Look at his website for some of the (free) source
      code in C#

      A soundcard is really just a cheap and convenient (not high
      performance) way to get access to analog to digital and digital to
      analog converter circuits. IMHO: the soundcard was not designed to
      be a general purpose programming resource or testbed for DSP, but
      rather to sell computers.

      GL de ken n9vv

      Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:
      > Are there tutorials around? What programming
      > language would be best to learn? Thanks!
    • Loren Moline WA7SKT
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
        Ken,

        Thanks for the info. As far as analog to digital I once built an ISA card
        with a simple A to D converter and an address decoder and wrote both basic
        and Pascal programs to read out the digital value for the analog input but
        that was just a 8 bit.

        If I knew the address of the digital value for the sound card input I might
        be able to do the same only in 16 bit. I guess you have to have the milk
        before you eat the meat. I guess this info is available under sound card
        resources.

        Loren

        Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:
        > Are there tutorials around? What programming
        > language would be best to learn? Thanks!

        View Athlete�s Collections with Live Search
        http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01
      • Phil Harman
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi Loren,

          My first attempt at getting into and out of a sound card used PortAudio
          (www.portaudio.com).

          This is a very simple API that allows you to capture samples from a sound
          card and send samples to a sound card. From memory my "Hello World" was to
          create a 1kHz sine wave and send it to the card. I just hacked one of the
          examples on their web site.

          Once you can get data from the sound card and can send data to it then all
          you have to do is the DSP code in the middle - that's the real easy bit ;)

          Having dabbled in VB, C, C++ and now C# if I was starting from scratch I
          would recommend the free MS Visual C# IDE and lean that.

          Hope that helps.

          73's Phil...VK6APH

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
            If your looking for information on how to program sound cards,
            check out: http://www.portaudio.com/

            Jim
            KA2RVO

          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2006
              Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:

              > If I am a beginner as far as soundcard programming goes and I have not
              > writen programs that will run in Windows where would I start as far as
              > learning first the basics and then write maybe simple routines to start and
              > eventually to more complex. Are there tutorials around? What programming
              > language would be best to learn? Thanks!

              A few years ago I was asked to write a chapter for a book that was then published by the RSGB. The subject of the
              chapter was about dealing with the sound card in Windows, programming-wise. To better explain the text of the chapter, I
              wrote an example program in straight C, not C++, so that everybody could modify and compile it with almost any C
              compiler. The program is called Humid, that stands for HUM Instant Destroyer (forgive me...:-), as it reads audio data
              from the sound card, applies a comb filter to them, tuned either at 50 or 60 Hz, then those filtered audio data are
              played back through the sound card in real time. IMHO it is an easy to understand example of interfacing the sound card
              under Windows, without resorting to other packages, like Portaudio, which, though very good, add unneeded levels of
              complexity, trying to be as general as possible and multiplatform.

              If you want to download the source code of Humid, it is here :
              http://sundry.i2phd.com/humid.zip

              73 Alberto I2PHD