Re: [softrock40] Re: Can't change frequency of Softrock Ensemble 30/20/17

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013

      > I did a clean install on a different computer (one borrowed for
      > work, so a temporary solution), also an xp machine. Seems to work
      > great, tunes without a problem. CFGSR now reads under the test tab:

      > Crystal Frequenty 114.285 MHz Startup 28.2 MHz
      > LO Calculation 0-1; 0-1; 0-1; 0-1;
      > Si570 Reg [7:12] 07: C2: A9: 09: 33 C, 4850:5670, 7
      > Si570 Dividers HS_DIV=4, N1=32 Smooth tune 350ppm
      > Si570 RFREQ 42.564746321
      > Si570 frequenty 38.004000 MHz
      > Set frequenty 34.004000 MHz (red light) 3.3V
      > P1/PTT red, P2/CW green, CW2 green

      > The meter rests at the low end: 4.85 GHz until I press "Get" and
      > then it jumps to about half way between 4.85 and "GHz"

      > So, I think I have some problem at home with the drivers. But no
      > matter how many times I try to re-install them, nothing seems to take. Any ideas?

      18/07/2013 17:18

      This is what USBdeview shows on my XP system:

      http://www.gatesgarth.com/usbdeview.jpg

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
        Thanks, Chris, that really helped!

        It turns out that the driver installer wasn't replacing my bad driver files; rather, I accumulated many instances of the drivers with names like libusb0(1).

        What I ended up doing was uninstalling the drivers with device manager, then uninstalling the driver installer and CFGSR. Then I did a search for all instances of libusb0 dated 1/17 and deleted all of them. This way, I didn't delete the ones I assume were associated with my RTL SDR receiver I listen to through SDR#.

        After that, I rebooted, plugged into a NEW USB port (in case there was some magic windows driver location memory) and re-installed the drivers.

        Now it's working great!

        Thanks all for the helpful suggestions,
        Kevin
        KD0UCR

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

        > > I did a clean install on a different computer (one borrowed for
        > > work, so a temporary solution), also an xp machine. Seems to work
        > > great, tunes without a problem. CFGSR now reads under the test tab:
        >
        > > Crystal Frequenty 114.285 MHz Startup 28.2 MHz
        > > LO Calculation 0-1; 0-1; 0-1; 0-1;
        > > Si570 Reg [7:12] 07: C2: A9: 09: 33 C, 4850:5670, 7
        > > Si570 Dividers HS_DIV=4, N1=32 Smooth tune 350ppm
        > > Si570 RFREQ 42.564746321
        > > Si570 frequenty 38.004000 MHz
        > > Set frequenty 34.004000 MHz (red light) 3.3V
        > > P1/PTT red, P2/CW green, CW2 green
        >
        > > The meter rests at the low end: 4.85 GHz until I press "Get" and
        > > then it jumps to about half way between 4.85 and "GHz"
        >
        > > So, I think I have some problem at home with the drivers. But no
        > > matter how many times I try to re-install them, nothing seems to take. Any ideas?
        >

        > 18/07/2013 17:18
        >

        > This is what USBdeview shows on my XP system:
        >

        > http://www.gatesgarth.com/usbdeview.jpg
        >

        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013

          > Thanks, Chris, that really helped!

          > It turns out that the driver installer wasn't replacing my bad
          > driver files; rather, I accumulated many instances of the drivers with names like libusb0(1).

          > What I ended up doing was uninstalling the drivers with device
          > manager, then uninstalling the driver installer and CFGSR. Then I
          > did a search for all instances of libusb0 dated 1/17 and deleted all
          > of them. This way, I didn't delete the ones I assume were associated
          > with my RTL SDR receiver I listen to through SDR#.

          > After that, I rebooted, plugged into a NEW USB port (in case there
          > was some magic windows driver location memory) and re-installed the drivers.

          > Now it's working great!

          > Thanks all for the helpful suggestions,
          > Kevin
          > KD0UCR

          19/07/2013 17:50

          I am happy that you now have it working. I too have a 30/20/17 version
          and have had some amazing long distance SSB voice contacts recently,
          off a simple horizontal wire loop antenna. In fact I get a load more
          satisfaction bagging contacts with 1 Watt than I do with 50 Watts with
          my Kenwood 590. Thinking aloud I don't think the 590 has been used for a
          couple of months :) Have fun now it's up and running.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 25, 2013
            Well, it was working great this morning, and then I rebooted the computer and the problem re-occurred. CFGSR says "no si570 detected". There were no additional software installs or updates (that I was aware of) in the interim.

            I didn't have time this morning to try fixing it the way I did last time with the manual removal of all copies of the drivers and reboot prior to re-installing the drivers, but obviously I have high hopes that this will again resolve the issue.

            But I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem besides me, of the drivers seeming to be needing reinstalling every couple weeks because suddenly the si570 can't be found by CFGSR and no software can tune the softrock?

            The only thing I can think that might have been different when I rebooted the time it stopped working is that the softrock was unpowered but connected while the computer rebooted.

            Anyway, has anyone else has had these symptoms re-occur and can advise me?

            Besides this issue, this little SDR has been fantastic!

            Kevin
            KD0UCR

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

            > > Thanks, Chris, that really helped!
            >
            > > It turns out that the driver installer wasn't replacing my bad
            > > driver files; rather, I accumulated many instances of the drivers with names like libusb0(1).
            >
            > > What I ended up doing was uninstalling the drivers with device
            > > manager, then uninstalling the driver installer and CFGSR. Then I
            > > did a search for all instances of libusb0 dated 1/17 and deleted all
            > > of them. This way, I didn't delete the ones I assume were associated
            > > with my RTL SDR receiver I listen to through SDR#.
            >
            > > After that, I rebooted, plugged into a NEW USB port (in case there
            > > was some magic windows driver location memory) and re-installed the drivers.
            >
            > > Now it's working great!
            >
            > > Thanks all for the helpful suggestions,
            > > Kevin
            > > KD0UCR
            >

            > 19/07/2013 17:50
            >
            > I am happy that you now have it working. I too have a 30/20/17 version
            > and have had some amazing long distance SSB voice contacts recently,
            > off a simple horizontal wire loop antenna. In fact I get a load more
            > satisfaction bagging contacts with 1 Watt than I do with 50 Watts with
            > my Kenwood 590. Thinking aloud I don't think the 590 has been used for a
            > couple of months :) Have fun now it's up and running.
            >
            > --
            > Best Regards,
            > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

          • kd0ucr
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 25, 2013
              Wait, sorry, a correction -- I DID install Virtual Audio Cable between the boot up when it worked and the boot up when it didn't.

              Maybe it's just some kind of windows repair-the-drivers-anytime-something-new-is-installed sort of thing?

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 25, 2013
                Subject: [softrock40] Re: Can't change frequency of Softrock Ensemble 30/20/17

                > Well, it was working great this morning, and then I rebooted the computer and the problem re-occurred. CFGSR says "no si570
                > detected". There were no additional software installs or updates (that I was aware of) in the interim.

                Kevin,

                I was wondering if it would happen again.
                The "no Si570 detected" message is saying that the ATTiny is not communicating with the Si570.
                I suggest a dry joint is causing this.

                I've never heard of anyone having the driver problem you described although there have been a few computers whitch regularly lose
                USB connection. But this does not normally result in the "no Si570 detected" message.
                In my experience there are no driver problems once they have been sucessfully installed. Different USB sockets will ask for drivers.
                The most common problem is the lack of recognition when the Softrock is plugged in.

                > I didn't have time this morning to try fixing it the way I did last time with the manual removal of all copies of the drivers and
                > reboot prior to re-installing the drivers, but obviously I have high hopes that this will again resolve the issue.

                If I'm right then it could "cure" itself. Try poking the Si570 and associated components.
                Or just do your reinstall, keep us posted.

                I've just seen your VAC message, again I've never heard of that.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Thanks for your patience Alan, I know you told me this was likely the culprit the last round I went through with this. I'll try as you've described before I do my install/reinstall again -- could well be it has nothing to do with the drivers and I just got lucky with the timing as it had "cured" itself...

                  > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Can't change frequency of Softrock Ensemble 30/20/17
                  >

                  > > Well, it was working great this morning, and then I rebooted the computer and the problem re-occurred. CFGSR says "no si570
                  > > detected". There were no additional software installs or updates (that I was aware of) in the interim.
                  > >

                  > Kevin,
                  >
                  > I was wondering if it would happen again.
                  > The "no Si570 detected" message is saying that the ATTiny is not communicating with the Si570.
                  > I suggest a dry joint is causing this.
                  >
                  > I've never heard of anyone having the driver problem you described although there have been a few computers whitch regularly lose
                  > USB connection. But this does not normally result in the "no Si570 detected" message.
                  > In my experience there are no driver problems once they have been sucessfully installed. Different USB sockets will ask for drivers.
                  > The most common problem is the lack of recognition when the Softrock is plugged in.
                  >
                  > > I didn't have time this morning to try fixing it the way I did last time with the manual removal of all copies of the drivers and
                  > > reboot prior to re-installing the drivers, but obviously I have high hopes that this will again resolve the issue.
                  > >

                  > If I'm right then it could "cure" itself. Try poking the Si570 and associated components.
                  > Or just do your reinstall, keep us posted.
                  >
                  > I've just seen your VAC message, again I've never heard of that.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  >
                  > > But I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem besides me, of the drivers seeming to be needing reinstalling every couple weeks
                  > > because suddenly the si570 can't be found by CFGSR and no software can tune the softrock?
                  > >
                  > > The only thing I can think that might have been different when I rebooted the time it stopped working is that the softrock was
                  > > unpowered but connected while the computer rebooted.

                • km5ht
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                    Kevin;
                    I would inspect the solder joints. I use a 7X UltraOptix Lighted Magnifier Model# SV-2LPLED. They are about $5 and you can hold it up close and see all kinds of stuff that you cant with the naked eye.

                    You could also try just plugging it into another USB port. Sometimes that will force a reload of the drivers.

                    Good Luck and 73

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                      I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                      I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                        Oh, while I haven't re-created the error I get on my home machine (si570 not found), one of my work computer on which I previously was able to get my 30/20/17 working NOW doesn't recognize the USB device. I've tried re-installing the drivers, but to no avail. I just get "unknown device" errors, and unplugging-replugging doesn't help.

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@...> wrote:

                        > I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                        > I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "km5ht" <km5ht@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Kevin;
                        > > I would inspect the solder joints. I use a 7X UltraOptix Lighted Magnifier Model# SV-2LPLED. They are about $5 and you can hold it up close and see all kinds of stuff that you cant with the naked eye.
                        > >
                        > > You could also try just plugging it into another USB port. Sometimes that will force a reload of the drivers.
                        > >
                        > > Good Luck and 73
                        > >
                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for your patience Alan, I know you told me this was likely the culprit the last round I went through with this. I'll try as you've described before I do my install/reinstall again -- could well be it has nothing to do with the drivers and I just got lucky with the timing as it had "cured" itself...

                      • MIKE DURKIN
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                          Try rebooting with it pluged in ... i think Its a windows timeing issue ....

                          Mike KC7NOA

                          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          From: crisp@...
                          Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:24:31 +0000

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013

                            >I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch
                            >in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                            Kevin,

                            This is possible, you could confirm with a short piece of wire or even a blob, after cleaning up.

                            >I did a clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to
                            >drivers again and software again...

                            The test is whether it happens again on the other computer.
                            As I said, I do not think your driver problem has been reported before but there are some funny things that happen with computers.

                            >Oh, while I haven't re-created the error I get on my home machine (Si570 not found), one of my work computer on which I previously
                            >was able to get my 30/20/17 working NOW doesn't recognize the USB device. I've tried re-installing the drivers, but to no avail.
                            >I just get "unknown device" errors, and unplugging-replugging doesn't help.

                            Is this without any other USB device plugged in? If not remove everything.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • kd0ucr
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                              I'm grasping at straws -- but has anyone noticed problems with the softrock drivers after installing an rtl-sdr radio? This seems to be a common denominator to the computers where I'm having trouble, and the rtl-sdr with sdr# uses some version of libusb that may be incompatible with the libusb that the softrock relies on? The only computer I've not had problems with is the only one that hasn't had an rtl-sdr installed with zadig...

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013

                                > I'm grasping at straws -- but has anyone noticed problems with the softrock drivers after installing an rtl-sdr radio? This seems
                                > to be a common denominator to the computers where I'm having trouble, and the rtl-sdr with sdr# uses some version of libusb that
                                > may be incompatible with the libusb that the softrock relies on? The only computer I've not had problems with is the only one
                                > that hasn't had an rtl-sdr installed with zadig...

                                I've had a good play with the dongles.
                                Certainly with 4 computers, no conflict in my case.

                                But Zadig is brutal, it will do what you tell it without complaint.
                                I have replaced other drivers with the dongle driver and had to dig in Device Manager to rectify my errors.
                                But if you have done that with the ATTiny driver then I would not expect that to work at all. However just maybe...

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              • kd0ucr
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                                  Sorry, I should stop writing so many messages.

                                  I came home tonight, plugged in the softrock on my home computer, and without doing ANYTHING else, it's working again.

                                  I'm quite perplexed. Whatever is going on, it's quite intermittent. Am I really the only one seeing this type of behavior?

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm grasping at straws -- but has anyone noticed problems with the softrock drivers after installing an rtl-sdr radio? This seems to be a common denominator to the computers where I'm having trouble, and the rtl-sdr with sdr# uses some version of libusb that may be incompatible with the libusb that the softrock relies on? The only computer I've not had problems with is the only one that hasn't had an rtl-sdr installed with zadig...
                                  >
                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kd0ucr" <crisp@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Well, it was working great this morning, and then I rebooted the computer and the problem re-occurred. CFGSR says "no si570 detected". There were no additional software installs or updates (that I was aware of) in the interim.
                                  > >
                                  > > I didn't have time this morning to try fixing it the way I did last time with the manual removal of all copies of the drivers and reboot prior to re-installing the drivers, but obviously I have high hopes that this will again resolve the issue.
                                  > >
                                  > > But I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem besides me, of the drivers seeming to be needing reinstalling every couple weeks because suddenly the si570 can't be found by CFGSR and no software can tune the softrock?
                                  > >
                                  > > The only thing I can think that might have been different when I rebooted the time it stopped working is that the softrock was unpowered but connected while the computer rebooted.
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyway, has anyone else has had these symptoms re-occur and can advise me?
                                  > >
                                  > > Besides this issue, this little SDR has been fantastic!
                                  > >
                                  > > Kevin
                                  > > KD0UCR

                                  > > > 19/07/2013 17:50
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I am happy that you now have it working. I too have a 30/20/17 version
                                  > > > and have had some amazing long distance SSB voice contacts recently,
                                  > > > off a simple horizontal wire loop antenna. In fact I get a load more
                                  > > > satisfaction bagging contacts with 1 Watt than I do with 50 Watts with
                                  > > > my Kenwood 590. Thinking aloud I don't think the 590 has been used for a
                                  > > > couple of months :) Have fun now it's up and running.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --
                                  > > > Best Regards,
                                  > > > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                                • Milt Cram
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 26, 2013
                                    On 7/26/2013 7:12 PM, kd0ucr wrote:
                                    > Sorry, I should stop writing so many messages.
                                    >
                                    > I came home tonight, plugged in the softrock on my home computer, and
                                    > without doing ANYTHING else, it's working again.
                                    >
                                    > I'm quite perplexed. Whatever is going on, it's quite intermittent.
                                    > Am I really the only one seeing this type of behavior?

                                    Kevin,

                                    Are you plugging the Softrock into the same USB port each time?

                                    In many cases, you have to install the driver for each port that you
                                    plan on using. If you install the driver with the Softrock connected to
                                    a particular USB port and then connect to a different port the next time
                                    you power up, the system may not recognize the Softrock.

                                    Have you tried using the program USBDeview to identify what is (or has
                                    ever been) connected to each USB port on your system? It can be quite
                                    helpful in diagnosing USB issues.

                                    73, Milt
                                    W8NUE
                                  • Chris Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 27, 2013

                                      > I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look
                                      > good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch
                                      > in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                                      > I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a
                                      > clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found
                                      > perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...

                                      27/07/2013 13:23

                                      That area you highlight in you photo doesn't look very good, if you
                                      compare with the page from the build notes it almost looks as if
                                      there's a solder splash grounding that Si570 pin 7. I would see just
                                      what's there under a bright light and magnification. See
                                      http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem.jpg to see them side by side.

                                      --
                                      Best Regards,
                                      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 27, 2013

                                        > That area you highlight in you photo doesn't look very good,

                                        if you
                                        > compare with the page from the build notes it almost looks as if
                                        > there's a solder splash grounding that Si570 pin 7. I would see just
                                        > what's there under a bright light and magnification. See
                                        > http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem.jpg to see them side by side.
                                        >
                                        > --

                                        Yes, Chris!
                                        I'd not looked too closely.
                                        I think my recommendation about a good bit and solder wick should be repeated.

                                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                      • Chris Wilson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 27, 2013

                                          > I inspected the solder joints around the si570. The joints look
                                          > good, however, to the left of one pin (7 or 8) I noticed a scratch
                                          > in the trace on the board. I uploaded an image here:

                                          > I wonder if this might be a problem -- it's so variable -- I did a
                                          > clean, new install on yet another computer, and the si570 was found
                                          > perfectly well -- this is what has me thinking back to drivers again and software again...

                                          27/07/2013 16:49

                                          As to how to fix this, if indeed it is an issue, see my modded
                                          picture, you need to make sure no electrical path exists in the pink
                                          shaded area, it looks as if there *MIGHT* be a partial connection
                                          joining pin 7 of the Si570 to the board's ground plane. Clean or
                                          abrade carefully the shaded area to remove any possible voltage path
                                          there.

                                          http://www.gatesgarth.com/problem1.jpg

                                          Alan is far more qualified to suggest what an intermittent ground
                                          path, maybe even a high resistance one, there might do.

                                          --
                                          Best Regards,
                                          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY