Re: [softrock40] Re: Replacement Procedure of ATiny85

  • cbayona
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
      <
      <http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53>http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

      I usually recommend that the device be programmed with Version 15.15
      of the firmware as it has several bug fixes and enhanced features.

      --
      Cecil - k5nwa

    • takehikochanchan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2013
        Adam and Tony,

        I obtained both one ATTiny85 and one Si570 from Tony and replaced ATTiny85 first. Si570 Reg[7:12] indication is stable but I could not hear the local oscillator by my HF rig. Thus, I replaced Si570 and I finally could monitor the local oscilattor signal.

        After the replacement of both parts, my Ensemble RXTX promptly started the receiver function along with HDSDR. It is the first experience for me to listen SDR sound at both ham bands and radio bands. It is very impressive.

        After my mistake, I found the following caution at Driver/PA stage of WB5RVZ builder notes and I was releaved that my mistake is artistic level of Leonardo.

        Be careful with the resistors. There are resistors (221, 2.21k, 21.1k) whose color codes are extremely easy to get mixed up. Even Leonardo DaVinci would have used an ohmmeter on these had he had one! Those reds and browns are really close.

        I hope WB5RVZ will add the similar note at Local Oscilator stage to prevent my demonstration to kill ones of the most important parts in the kits.

        Thank you very much for your advice and prompt response.

        Regards,

        take

        de JA5AEA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "takehikochanchan" <take.tsutsumi@...> wrote:

        > Adam,
        >
        > Thank you for your quick comment and valuable suggestion.
        >
        > Yes, I am busy enough to complete Ensemble RXTX built and it is not right time to gain the skill of AVR chip programing.
        >
        > Followed your suggestion, I had contacted Tony i.e. fivedash and he have kindly sent the preprogrammed replacement right at once.
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > take
        >
        > de JA5AEA
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jacobs <jacobs.adam@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You can't replace the ATTiny85 with a vanilla (unprogrammed) part.
        > > You'll need a part that has been programmed with the proper firmware and
        > > the fuses properly configured. I believe that this can be done with
        > > standard AVR programming tools, which are available cheaply... but I
        > > also believe that one of the fuses that gets set makes it so that you
        > > can't reprogram the part without using a more expensive (so-called
        > > high-voltage) programmer.
        > >
        > > Anyways, what I would do is just contact Tony and buy a replacement part
        > > from him (pre-programmed). Just keep it simple.
        > >
        > > -73 Adam W7QI
        > >
        > > On 7/9/2013 4:46 PM, takehikochanchan wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Greeting,
        > > >
        > > > I am building an Ensemble RXTX and faces non Si570 output issue at
        > > > Local Oscillator stage.
        > > >
        > > > I recognized there is a problem on Si570 Reg[7:12] column constantly
        > > > indicates "??RX Power down ??" at Test tag of CFGSR when "Get" pressed
        > > > or "Repeat" checked. Then, I identified that I made a mistake to
        > > > solder wrong I2C pull up registers from 2.2k Ohm to 2.2 Ohm. Then, I
        > > > rectified the pull up registers to the correct ones i.e. 2.2k Ohm.
        > > >
        > > > Now, it looks like I2C communication works but Si570 Reg[7:12]
        > > > indication is unstable. When I hit "Get" butten, the values change
        > > > each time such as EF:FF:FF:FF:FF:, E1:C2:BF:FF:FF:,E1:FF:FF:FF:FF,
        > > > E1:C2:B5:B9:BF:.... Apparantly, I killed I2C interface either ATiny85
        > > > or Si570 or both of them.
        > > >
        > > > Under this situation, it is easy to replace ATiny85 first then Si570
        > > > next due to ATiny85 sits on 8 PIN IC socket and it is cheap.
        > > >
        > > > Now, my question is where I should look into the proper procedure of
        > > > the replacement of ATiny85 if I get a new at the local part shop, just
        > > > replace to a vanilla or install firmware through CFGSR or...?
        > > >
        > > > I also welcome suggestion if I am going to the wrong direction to fix
        > > > the problem.
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > >
        > > > take
        > > >
        > > > de JA5AEA

      • takehikochanchan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2013
          Cecil,

          The replacement part from Tony is with the latest firmware, i.e. Version 15.15.

          Regards,

          take

          de JA5AEA