RE: [softrock40] LO with HDSDR IF mode

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013
      Alan,

      Yes, it is working much better now that I have checked Tune fixed to 'LO <-> Tune Offset' in MISC options.

      I have powered down the software several times, then back up and it has stayed the same.

      In my opinion, there should not be a LO showing above the TUNE when you are in I.F. mode.  There is never a good reason for tuning the LO
      that I can think of.

      What I was trying to work towards is to make a checklist of things people need to do to make HDSDR work with the Ensemble II.  It is a really great little
      board.  The only thing it seems to need is a 10-12db rf amp after the bandpass filters.  I can clearly copy things directly on the K3 (with no preamp on)
      that the HDSDR cannot.  But the Ensemble is not that far off that it could not be 'fixed'.

      73's

      Glen K4KV

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2013

        > Yes, it is working much better now that I have checked Tune fixed to 'LO <->
        > Tune Offset' in MISC options.
        >
        > I have powered down the software several times, then back up and it has
        > stayed the same.

        What version of HDSDR are you using?
        What IF mode are you using?
        I find his is not available in v2.62 when IF mode is selected. In any case I do not think it is relavent. It is related to keeping
        the LO a fixed distance from the tune frequency.

        > In my opinion, there should not be a LO showing above the TUNE when you are
        > in I.F. mode. There is never a good reason for tuning the LO
        > that I can think of.

        Yes, but this does show the where the centre of the display is, centre of the tuning range, sometimes not obvious when zoomed. I
        like to know.

        > What I was trying to work towards is to make a checklist of things people
        > need to do to make HDSDR work with the Ensemble II. It is a really great
        > little
        > board. The only thing it seems to need is a 10-12db rf amp after the
        > bandpass filters. I can clearly copy things directly on the K3 (with no
        > preamp on)
        > that the HDSDR cannot. But the Ensemble is not that far off that it could
        > not be 'fixed'.

        I do not remember if your K3 was modified.
        Your problems, including centre frequency pickup would be over if you used a buffer like Jack's.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Glen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2013
          Alan,

          Well, it was not working again this morning when I powered everything up.  The signals displayed were 20khz off or so...same numbers in the setup.

          Version 2.62
          Using SDR on IF output, controlled by HRD DDE
          Independent tune in HDSDR
          IF frequency 8209000 global offset 6000
          Mirror RF spectrum in general
          Mirror RF spectrum for Tune >= 48000 khz
          LSB -11600  USB -14700  CW_L -13870
          Tuned fixed to 'LO <-> Tuned offset'

          All this worked yesterday, even when switching bands

          BTW, the newer K3's have had their IF output modified to boost the output.  Mine is brand new.

          I have no confidence that HDSDR will work properly even if I have a buffer board and use 8.215Mhz and no offset.

          I still believe it is changing the Si chip, either with the 8.209Mhz I want, or recalibrating it on power up, or BOTH!

          73's

          Glen K4KV

          > Yes, it is working much better now that I have checked Tune fixed to 'LO <->
          > Tune Offset' in MISC options.
          >
          > I have powered down the software several times, then back up and it has
          > stayed the same.

          What version of HDSDR are you using?
          What IF mode are you using?
          I find his is not available in v2.62 when IF mode is selected. In any case I do not think it is relavent. It is related to keeping
          the LO a fixed distance from the tune frequency.

          > In my opinion, there should not be a LO showing above the TUNE when you are
          > in I.F. mode. There is never a good reason for tuning the LO
          > that I can think of.

          Yes, but this does show the where the centre of the display is, centre of the tuning range, sometimes not obvious when zoomed. I
          like to know.

          > What I was trying to work towards is to make a checklist of things people
          > need to do to make HDSDR work with the Ensemble II. It is a really great
          > little
          > board. The only thing it seems to need is a 10-12db rf amp after the
          > bandpass filters. I can clearly copy things directly on the K3 (with no
          > preamp on)
          > that the HDSDR cannot. But the Ensemble is not that far off that it could
          > not be 'fixed'.

          I do not remember if your K3 was modified.
          Your problems, including centre frequency pickup would be over if you used a buffer like Jack's.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • alanzfq
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2013
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Glen" <k4kv@...> wrote:
            ,

            > Well, it was not working again this morning when I powered everything up.
            > The signals displayed were 20khz off or so...same numbers in the setup.

            Glen,

            And this is on the same bands as were correct yesterday?

            > Mirror RF spectrum for Tune >= 48000 khz

            Is this really correct for a K3?
            I think this should be the the first IF frequency. The reversal will be when the K3's local oscillator goes above or below the received signal.

            > I still believe it is changing the Si chip, either with the 8.209Mhz I want,

            Does bringing up the ExtIO window confirm that? What does the Tune tab show?

            I intend to try this with my FT840, the same IF as the K3. Maybe tomorrow.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • alanzfq
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2013
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alanzfq" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

              > I intend to try this with my FT840, the same IF as the K3. Maybe tomorrow.

              No I cannot. That is the second IF..