Ensemble RXTX Power supply problem

  • W7VH
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      I figured while I was waiting for my solder paste and
      a tiny soldering iron I ordered I'd do the first stage
      of the kit and build the power supply section.

      My testing isn't working out too well though.

      The first test is the resistance test where you
      measure the resistance across the non-hairpin end of
      R52 and ground. It's supposed to start around 50k and then
      go to infinite as the caps charge up.
      Mine goes from 2k to infinite.

      The second test is to measure the current draw
      of the circuit. I was a little confused by the instructions
      on this. One page says to just put your UOM in series with
      the test power supply (a 12v battery in my case) and the board
      but the next page shows a "limiting" resistor in the series as
      well but I didn't use one. The current draw is supposed
      to be <8 mA and mine is 11.7 mA

      The third test is to check the voltage on the powered up
      board at two points.

      1. The voltage between the hairpin end
      of D4 and ground (supposed to be 12V and mine was 12V).

      2.The voltage between the hairpin hole for R61 and ground.
      This is supposed to be around 5V and mine is 9.9V.

      I've double checked all the parts to make sure their polarities
      are correct and the correct "hairpin" mounts are all in the
      right holes.

      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

      Is there a way to test U9, the voltage regulator?
      The 5V is supposed to come out of it.

      Thanks for any help you can give me.

      Thanks,

      Jon
      W7VH
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX Power supply problem

        Jon,

        Are you sure that U9 is the correct way round?
        If it is then it must be faulty unless, just maybe, there is a short between the outer pins.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        >I figured while I was waiting for my solder paste and
        > a tiny soldering iron I ordered I'd do the first stage
        > of the kit and build the power supply section.
        >
        > My testing isn't working out too well though.
        >
        > The first test is the resistance test where you
        > measure the resistance across the non-hairpin end of
        > R52 and ground. It's supposed to start around 50k and then
        > go to infinite as the caps charge up.
        > Mine goes from 2k to infinite.
        >
        > The second test is to measure the current draw
        > of the circuit. I was a little confused by the instructions
        > on this. One page says to just put your UOM in series with
        > the test power supply (a 12v battery in my case) and the board
        > but the next page shows a "limiting" resistor in the series as
        > well but I didn't use one. The current draw is supposed
        > to be <8 mA and mine is 11.7 mA
        >
        > The third test is to check the voltage on the powered up
        > board at two points.
        >
        > 1. The voltage between the hairpin end
        > of D4 and ground (supposed to be 12V and mine was 12V).
        >
        > 2.The voltage between the hairpin hole for R61 and ground.
        > This is supposed to be around 5V and mine is 9.9V.
        >
        > I've double checked all the parts to make sure their polarities
        > are correct and the correct "hairpin" mounts are all in the
        > right holes.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
        >
        > Is there a way to test U9, the voltage regulator?
        > The 5V is supposed to come out of it.

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

          > I figured while I was waiting for my solder paste and
          > a tiny soldering iron I ordered I'd do the first stage
          > of the kit and build the power supply section.

          > My testing isn't working out too well though.

          > The first test is the resistance test where you
          > measure the resistance across the non-hairpin end of
          > R52 and ground. It's supposed to start around 50k and then
          > go to infinite as the caps charge up.
          > Mine goes from 2k to infinite.

          > The second test is to measure the current draw
          > of the circuit. I was a little confused by the instructions
          > on this. One page says to just put your UOM in series with
          > the test power supply (a 12v battery in my case) and the board
          > but the next page shows a "limiting" resistor in the series as
          > well but I didn't use one. The current draw is supposed
          > to be <8 mA and mine is 11.7 mA

          > The third test is to check the voltage on the powered up
          > board at two points.

          > 1. The voltage between the hairpin end
          > of D4 and ground (supposed to be 12V and mine was 12V).

          > 2.The voltage between the hairpin hole for R61 and ground.
          > This is supposed to be around 5V and mine is 9.9V.

          > I've double checked all the parts to make sure their polarities
          > are correct and the correct "hairpin" mounts are all in the
          > right holes.

          > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

          > Is there a way to test U9, the voltage regulator?
          > The 5V is supposed to come out of it.

          > Thanks for any help you can give me.

          > Thanks,

          > Jon
          > W7VH

          04/07/2013 22:19

          I always remember a poster on here a while back who was building a
          Softrock and using a car battery as the power source. He didn't have a
          fuse in the supply line, so had a potential hundred or so amps available
          to blow things up! I would put a low amperage fast blow fuse in the
          power wires if your battery is capable of high current. Ideally you
          want a current limiting supply that will shut down at a pre selected
          amperage. Good luck, great kits with great support.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
              Thanks Alan,

              Yeah, U9 is good. There's no short between the collector
              and either of the other pins which is the only solder
              points that are really close together.

              Would a faulty U9 have anything to do with test 1,
              the resistance test?

              Thanks,

              Jon
              W7VH

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
                Thanks Chris,

                Who should I go to for help/support besides here?

                Thanks,

                Jon
                W7VH
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

                > > I figured while I was waiting for my solder paste and
                > > a tiny soldering iron I ordered I'd do the first stage
                > > of the kit and build the power supply section.
                >
                > > My testing isn't working out too well though.
                >
                > > The first test is the resistance test where you
                > > measure the resistance across the non-hairpin end of
                > > R52 and ground. It's supposed to start around 50k and then
                > > go to infinite as the caps charge up.
                > > Mine goes from 2k to infinite.
                >
                > > The second test is to measure the current draw
                > > of the circuit. I was a little confused by the instructions
                > > on this. One page says to just put your UOM in series with
                > > the test power supply (a 12v battery in my case) and the board
                > > but the next page shows a "limiting" resistor in the series as
                > > well but I didn't use one. The current draw is supposed
                > > to be <8 mA and mine is 11.7 mA
                >
                > > The third test is to check the voltage on the powered up
                > > board at two points.
                >
                > > 1. The voltage between the hairpin end
                > > of D4 and ground (supposed to be 12V and mine was 12V).
                >
                > > 2.The voltage between the hairpin hole for R61 and ground.
                > > This is supposed to be around 5V and mine is 9.9V.
                >
                > > I've double checked all the parts to make sure their polarities
                > > are correct and the correct "hairpin" mounts are all in the
                > > right holes.
                >
                > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
                >
                > > Is there a way to test U9, the voltage regulator?
                > > The 5V is supposed to come out of it.
                >
                > > Thanks for any help you can give me.
                >
                > > Thanks,
                >
                > > Jon
                > > W7VH
                >

                > 04/07/2013 22:19
                >
                > I always remember a poster on here a while back who was building a
                > Softrock and using a car battery as the power source. He didn't have a
                > fuse in the supply line, so had a potential hundred or so amps available
                > to blow things up! I would put a low amperage fast blow fuse in the
                > power wires if your battery is capable of high current. Ideally you
                > want a current limiting supply that will shut down at a pre selected
                > amperage. Good luck, great kits with great support.
                >
                > --
                > Best Regards,
                > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

              • Chris Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

                  > Thanks Chris,

                  > Who should I go to for help/support besides here?

                  > Thanks,

                  > Jon
                  > W7VH

                  04/07/2013 23:03

                  I would doubt you will need to go anywhere else but here. There are
                  many very bright people on here, from the man himself, Tony Parks, to
                  end users and novice builders. It's a friendly place, with patient and
                  highly experienced Softrock folk, and electronics gurus in general.

                  --
                  Best Regards,
                  Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

                    > The first test is the resistance test where you
                    > measure the resistance across the non-hairpin end of
                    > R52 and ground. It's supposed to start around 50k and then
                    > go to infinite as the caps charge up.
                    > Mine goes from 2k to infinite.

                    Jon, to expand:-

                    This sort of test is very rough, gives some idea but the meter you use will affect actual readings seen. Yours does what would be
                    expected. The test is just to make sure there is no short to ground.

                    > The second test is to measure the current draw
                    > of the circuit. I was a little confused by the instructions
                    > on this. One page says to just put your UOM in series with
                    > the test power supply (a 12v battery in my case) and the board
                    > but the next page shows a "limiting" resistor in the series as
                    > well but I didn't use one. The current draw is supposed
                    > to be <8 mA and mine is 11.7 mA

                    Yes, this is higher than normally expected.
                    As Chris says a current limit can prevent destruction.

                    > The third test is to check the voltage on the powered up
                    > board at two points.
                    >
                    > 1. The voltage between the hairpin end
                    > of D4 and ground (supposed to be 12V and mine was 12V).
                    >
                    > 2.The voltage between the hairpin hole for R61 and ground.
                    > This is supposed to be around 5V and mine is 9.9V.
                    >
                    > I've double checked all the parts to make sure their polarities
                    > are correct and the correct "hairpin" mounts are all in the
                    > right holes.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
                    >
                    > Is there a way to test U9, the voltage regulator?
                    > The 5V is supposed to come out of it.

                    What is the voltage at the input of the regulator?
                    If it more than 8V then there should be 5V on the output. (Assuming all capacitors are fitted and that all pins are correctly
                    soldered and the centre pin is grounded)
                    If the input and output is at the same voltage the regulator is faulty unless there is a physical short between them.
                    Very occasionally a whisker of copper has been left somewhere after manufacture.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Angi Harrover
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                      I was wanting to know where to find one. I love to build kits don't have allot money to buy one but would like to build for others. I have built countless kits and want to build one for my self just money is real tight. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

                    • KENNETH CHASE
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013

                        Ken VA3ABN