Upgrade kit for exciter/PA boards

  • kb9yig
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2006
      Good Evening All,

      Information is given below concerning the changes to the exciter/PA
      board kits to get the "stack" version of the v6 receiver/transmitter
      running. With today's mailing I think I am caught up on all
      requests for upgrade kits for both the exciter/PA kits and the RXTX
      kit. So far I have only sent out about eight of the exciter/PA
      upgrade kits and about forty of the RXTX upgrade kits so there are
      quite a few kit buyers who are still needing the upgrade kits.

      Please let me know what parts of missing from your kits so that I
      can send the parts and the appropriate upgrade kit or kits.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG

      Component changes needed on the prototype QSD and PA boards

      November 30, 2006

      QSD board changes

      1) Change R2 and R10 to 22.1 k 1/4 watt (Parts in upgrade kit for
      this change include two 22.1k 1/4 watt resistors.)

      2) Replace electrolytic capacitors C6 and C15 with 0.1 uF ceramic
      capacitors. (Parts in upgrade kit for this change include two 0.1 uF
      ceramic capacitors.)

      3) A 100 ohm 1/6 watt resistor needs to be connected between pin 7
      of U5 and pin 1 of P5. Cut the trace coming to pin 1 of P5 on the
      top of the board and use the associated via to mount the 100 ohm
      resistor on the bottom of the board, flat against the board. The
      second lead of the resistor then connects to pin 1 of P5. (Parts in
      upgrade kit for this change and the change below includes five 100
      ohm 1/6 watt resistors. Use two of the resistors with the best
      resistance match for this change and the change below.)

      4) A second 100 Connect 100 ohm 1/6 watt resistors connects between
      pin 9 of U5 and pin 3 of P3. Again cut the trace coming to pin 3 of
      P5 on the top of the board and use the associated via to mount the
      100 ohm resistor on the bottom of the board, flat against the
      board. The second lead of the resistor then connects to pin 3 of P5.

      5) Replace U3 and U4 with TLV2462CD dual op-amp devices. (Parts
      supplied in the upgrade kit include two TLV2462CD devices.)

      PA board changes

      1) Change R5 to 10 ohms. (Part in upgrade kit for this change is one
      10 ohm 1/4 watt resistor.)

      2) Remove RFC1 and mount a 100 ohm resistor in place of RFC1. (Part
      included in upgrade kit for this change is one 100 ohm 1/6 watt
      resistor.)

      3) Remove D1 and mount in its place a series connection of a 4.7 ohm
      resistor and a 1N4148 diode with the diode anode lead (end of diode
      without a stripe) connected to one of the resistor leads. The
      resistor and Diode are connected together in a hairpin fashion with
      the diode's cathode (stripe) end going to the square pad in the D1
      mounting position. Mount the resistor/diode group after Q2 is
      mounted on the board so that the body of the diode can be against
      the case of Q2 in the heat sink gap on Q2's case. If possible apply
      a little heat sink grease to the diode to promote better thermal
      conductivity between the diode and the case of Q2. Be careful that
      no electrical contact is made between the diode and resistor leads
      and the case of Q2. (Parts in upgrade kit for this change include
      one 4.7 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and one 1N4148 diode.)