RE: [softrock40] HFPA-300 HF Amp with Softrock RXTX?

  • MIKE DURKIN
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2013
      Interesting .. but i dont see anything about lowpass filters ...

      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      From: bill.bathgate@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 01:43:01 +0000
      Subject: [softrock40] HFPA-300 HF Amp with Softrock RXTX?

      Has anyone ever tried this SS amp with a Soft rock RXTX?

      Here is the link.

      http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=2620&zenid=blnqu9sesioanp3ks6vc0nc3s7
      73
      KD8IGK
      Bill

    • MICHAEL TALLENT
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2013
        My guess is there is only 1 low pass filter in it and it cut off just slightly above the 11 meter band.

        Mike  W6MXV

        Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:41 AM
        Subject: RE: [softrock40] HFPA-300 HF Amp with Softrock RXTX?

        Interesting .. but i dont see anything about lowpass filters ...

        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
            What is interesting is if you look at the current required(14 to 20 amps) and the voltage 13.8 VDC,  if it puts out 300 watts, then it is > 100% efficient!  20 amps at 13.8VDC is 276 Watts.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>

          Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:41 AM

          Interesting .. but i dont see anything about lowpass filters ...

          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
            That looks like a rebranded  RM Italy KL 300:

            http://www.rmitaly.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=9

            It doesn't have a set of low pass filters, and therefore will almost certainly produce illegal levels of distortion. If you want a similar amp that has some chance at being "legal", consider the RM Italy HLA 300. Of course it is a lot more expensive, due to it having 1) appropriate band pass filters, 2) auto band selection, etc. Most reviews have said that these amps will not produce the advertised power, and will produce too much distortion if pushed anywhere near the maximum they are capable of producing. But even the HLA versions of the amps are cheaper than equivalent amps from better producers. You get what you pay for, but many have been happy enough with these amps if they are used appropriately. You should definitely read some reviews so you understand what you are going to get for your money.

            73,
            John
            AC0ZG

            Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:41 AM

            Interesting .. but i dont see anything about lowpass filters ...

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

              Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:41 AM

              Interesting .. but i dont see anything about lowpass filters ...

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
                That is a 100W amplifier good only for FM work if it would have output filtering.

                It is pushed at 150W and branded as 300W, but the transistors inside are rated 100-120W nominal. It works in class C so it's not linear (doesn't work correctly in SSB/AM/digital modes), and it doesn't have any output filtering, wich makes it illegal any any corner of the world.

                I'm surprised nobody noticed in SSB it takes 5W to put out "300W", but in AM/FM it needs 10W for 150W.

                Razvan YO9IRF

              • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
                  Another thought might be to buy cheap one of the old palomar "broadband" fm/ssb bricks cheap and buy a filter kit from hfprojects. I may just do that as I have an old palomar that my dad used to use (legally) on 10 meters. It worked very well on that band with an ft7 driving it.
                  Rick
                  W2JAZ