Re: [softrock40] Re: heat gun vs embossing tool

  • Jasmine Strong
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 1, 2013

      As a seasoned SMT rework tech, I would recommend using a fine pointed bit in a temperature controlled iron;  it just makes everything easier.  There's no need to buy a super fancy Metcal or whatever;  an ordinary WES51 is perfectly fine (and worlds better than a $20 radio shack firestick.)

      -J.

      On 1 Jul 2013, at 09:33, Adam Jacobs <jacobs.adam@...> wrote:

      I still think that if it is your first time building up the board, just do it with a soldering iron and do it section by section. Being able to follow the various tests and troubleshooting steps for each section as it is assembled is very nice, especially when this is your first time. There's plenty of room to get fancy and assemble the entire board without testing anything on your 2nd or 3rd board. :)
      There is absolutely no requirement to us solder paste, heat gun, embossing tool, etc, etc to assemble the components on these boards. Tony says he puts them together with a $20 radioshack soldering iron (holy cow, Tony! Talk about skill)... I use one of the lower end metcal units, but only because I happened to have access to one. Before that, I used one of the classic blue-handle Weller irons and it works great. Just my $0.02

      -73 Adam W7QI

      On 6/29/2013 11:08 AM, John Greusel wrote:

      Jon,
      It's customary to do all the SMT components at once and yes it does change the values in the step by step assembly instructions such that you can't rely on them as much.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 2, 2013
        Actually, I use a cheap Radio Shack station too. Well and a bench magnifying glass too. Mainly because I already had it. But one of these days when it wears out, I plan on upgrading to a nice Weller. So they can be built without buying expensive equipment. You just need steady hands. I've even build a Peaberry using the same setup.

        73 David K9GPM