Unsuccessful at RXTX Receive

  • bobbyin4land
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
      After cleaning up my Ensemble RXTX board by nipping the excess solder, re-touching solder joints, and brushing with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I decided to put my Ensemble RXTX to work.

      I made a 27:4 transformer with some of the kit's excess #26 wire and one of the larger red toroids, end connected one of the 27 winding leads to 33 feet of #18 covered stranded wire, soldered both winding ground leads to the BNC connector ground connection on the board, and soldered the remaining 4 winding lead to the BNC connector tip connection on the board. Essentially, I made an untuned end-fed half dipole for 20 meters. I then strung the antenna throughout my house.

      I connected the remaining lines to the Ensemble (except for paddles), and started Rocky. My laptop is a HP Envy 17 (Win7), which has a stereo mic in, and two headphone jacks. (There is also a microphone built into the case.) I am using a Plantronics headset for audio in and out.

      I can see noise on the display, but I cannot hear it. I am using the Mic In as the I/Q input, and Line Out for the I/Q return to the Ensemble. Rocky doesn't give me the option for my headset for audio out. The only other options I have are 'HP MuxIn' and 'HP Wireless Audio'.

      I did not cross the RX jumpers on the board, so there may be an issue there, but I still should be receiving something.

      I also booted up in Mint 14 and tried to hear something through Quisk, but that didn't work either.

      Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.

      Bobby
      KK4HUU
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
        Bobby

        I hope I am not mis-reading your post. If the Plantronix is USB connected then it should show up on Rocky, although it may be listed as simply "USB Device".

        If the Plantronix is not USB but, instead, connected by 2.5 mm audio plugs, then this setup is not going to work.

        In most uses for the RXTX you will need two separate audio devices; one to listen and talk to the RXTX, and one to listen and talk to you.

        The sixteen possible IN/OUT combinations of these two audio cards have confounded most beginners and still confuse me at times.

        Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyin4land" <goins0497@...> wrote:

        > After cleaning up my Ensemble RXTX board by nipping the excess solder, re-touching solder joints, and brushing with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I decided to put my Ensemble RXTX to work.
        >
        > I made a 27:4 transformer with some of the kit's excess #26 wire and one of the larger red toroids, end connected one of the 27 winding leads to 33 feet of #18 covered stranded wire, soldered both winding ground leads to the BNC connector ground connection on the board, and soldered the remaining 4 winding lead to the BNC connector tip connection on the board. Essentially, I made an untuned end-fed half dipole for 20 meters. I then strung the antenna throughout my house.
        >
        > I connected the remaining lines to the Ensemble (except for paddles), and started Rocky. My laptop is a HP Envy 17 (Win7), which has a stereo mic in, and two headphone jacks. (There is also a microphone built into the case.) I am using a Plantronics headset for audio in and out.
        >
        > I can see noise on the display, but I cannot hear it. I am using the Mic In as the I/Q input, and Line Out for the I/Q return to the Ensemble. Rocky doesn't give me the option for my headset for audio out. The only other options I have are 'HP MuxIn' and 'HP Wireless Audio'.
        >
        > I did not cross the RX jumpers on the board, so there may be an issue there, but I still should be receiving something.
        >
        > I also booted up in Mint 14 and tried to hear something through Quisk, but that didn't work either.
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.
        >
        > Bobby
        > KK4HUU

      • Jeff Gray

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
            Warren,

            The headset is an USB device, and although Win7 does acknowledge it being connected, it does not show up as an output device option in Rocky.

            Bobby
            KK4HUU

            > Bobby
            >
            > I hope I am not mis-reading your post. If the Plantronix is USB connected then it should show up on Rocky, although it may be listed as simply "USB Device".
            >
            > If the Plantronix is not USB but, instead, connected by 2.5 mm audio plugs, then this setup is not going to work.
            >
            > In most uses for the RXTX you will need two separate audio devices; one to listen and talk to the RXTX, and one to listen and talk to you.
            >
            > The sixteen possible IN/OUT combinations of these two audio cards have confounded most beginners and still confuse me at times.
            >
            > Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyin4land" <goins0497@> wrote:
            > >
            > > After cleaning up my Ensemble RXTX board by nipping the excess solder, re-touching solder joints, and brushing with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I decided to put my Ensemble RXTX to work.
            > >
            > > I made a 27:4 transformer with some of the kit's excess #26 wire and one of the larger red toroids, end connected one of the 27 winding leads to 33 feet of #18 covered stranded wire, soldered both winding ground leads to the BNC connector ground connection on the board, and soldered the remaining 4 winding lead to the BNC connector tip connection on the board. Essentially, I made an untuned end-fed half dipole for 20 meters. I then strung the antenna throughout my house.
            > >
            > > I connected the remaining lines to the Ensemble (except for paddles), and started Rocky. My laptop is a HP Envy 17 (Win7), which has a stereo mic in, and two headphone jacks. (There is also a microphone built into the case.) I am using a Plantronics headset for audio in and out.
            > >
            > > I can see noise on the display, but I cannot hear it. I am using the Mic In as the I/Q input, and Line Out for the I/Q return to the Ensemble. Rocky doesn't give me the option for my headset for audio out. The only other options I have are 'HP MuxIn' and 'HP Wireless Audio'.
            > >
            > > I did not cross the RX jumpers on the board, so there may be an issue there, but I still should be receiving something.
            > >
            > > I also booted up in Mint 14 and tried to hear something through Quisk, but that didn't work either.
            > >
            > > Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.
            > >
            > > Bobby
            > > KK4HUU

          • warrenallgyer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
              Yeah.... unfortunately the Rocky developers have not kept pace with Windows and it is not a very satisfactory platform for bring up a new system.... too many unknowns.

              I would suggest you use CFGSR as a first step and then HDSDR to get rolling. Alan has a number of really good pages to get you up and running at

              https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/

              I would suggest start with CFGSR and then move to HDSDR.

              Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyin4land" <goins0497@...> wrote:

              > Warren,
              >
              > The headset is an USB device, and although Win7 does acknowledge it being connected, it does not show up as an output device option in Rocky.
              >
              > Bobby
              > KK4HUU
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Bobby
              > >
              > > I hope I am not mis-reading your post. If the Plantronix is USB connected then it should show up on Rocky, although it may be listed as simply "USB Device".
              > >
              > > If the Plantronix is not USB but, instead, connected by 2.5 mm audio plugs, then this setup is not going to work.
              > >
              > > In most uses for the RXTX you will need two separate audio devices; one to listen and talk to the RXTX, and one to listen and talk to you.
              > >
              > > The sixteen possible IN/OUT combinations of these two audio cards have confounded most beginners and still confuse me at times.
              > >
              > > Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyin4land" <goins0497@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > After cleaning up my Ensemble RXTX board by nipping the excess solder, re-touching solder joints, and brushing with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I decided to put my Ensemble RXTX to work.
              > > >
              > > > I made a 27:4 transformer with some of the kit's excess #26 wire and one of the larger red toroids, end connected one of the 27 winding leads to 33 feet of #18 covered stranded wire, soldered both winding ground leads to the BNC connector ground connection on the board, and soldered the remaining 4 winding lead to the BNC connector tip connection on the board. Essentially, I made an untuned end-fed half dipole for 20 meters. I then strung the antenna throughout my house.
              > > >
              > > > I connected the remaining lines to the Ensemble (except for paddles), and started Rocky. My laptop is a HP Envy 17 (Win7), which has a stereo mic in, and two headphone jacks. (There is also a microphone built into the case.) I am using a Plantronics headset for audio in and out.
              > > >
              > > > I can see noise on the display, but I cannot hear it. I am using the Mic In as the I/Q input, and Line Out for the I/Q return to the Ensemble. Rocky doesn't give me the option for my headset for audio out. The only other options I have are 'HP MuxIn' and 'HP Wireless Audio'.
              > > >
              > > > I did not cross the RX jumpers on the board, so there may be an issue there, but I still should be receiving something.
              > > >
              > > > I also booted up in Mint 14 and tried to hear something through Quisk, but that didn't work either.
              > > >
              > > > Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative.
              > > >
              > > > Bobby
              > > > KK4HUU

            • bobbyin4land
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2013
                After more research, I found that my Plantronics Audio 655 headset doesn't play nice with 64bit operating systems (Win7 and linux). I guess i will need to get a new USB hesdset. Oh well....

                Bobby
                KK4HUU