Re: [softrock40] SoftRock LiteII combined.........

  • scott jacobs
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
      Carl,
      That is actually your sound card.
      Scott

      From: k2gej <k2gej@...>
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 7:38 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] SoftRock LiteII combined.........

      Good day all,

      I was going to purchase a RXTX kit but.......... decided to try my luck at this itty-bitty stuff and purchased a LiteII combined to try. I have been successful and now have a really nice little radio going with HDSDR. One thing I noticed is a signal right in the middle of the spectrum display ........ continuous carrier. What I believe it is may be bleed through of the 7.055 clock signals. As I wish to build up a transmitter kit, would like to get rid of this thing so I can hear someone answering if they came back on this freq. Has anyone been successful in accomplishing this if, in fact, it is oscillator bleed through? Tnx for reading...
      Carl Griebno, K2GEJ

    • Bob Macklin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
        If I do a PCB for OLD FARTS I'll use a TO-92 3,3V regulator!

        Bob Macklin
        K5MYJ
        Seattle, Wa.
        "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately, they don't make the Si570 in a larger package.
          >
          > Dave - WB6DHW

          If that's the only problem, then perhaps someone could make a carrier; basically a PCB that brings the pins out to a more easily dealt with (old) standard .100 spacing, and then builds the rest with normal sized components.

          I haven't even tried to build one of these kits - near 60, one eye bad, hands that shake. If they were old-school easy, I could do it. This SMT stuff... no way.

          Unless there's a *need* for the components to be small (why?), it seems like a non SMT build could be put together without too much trouble. Worth it? That's the question.

          --Ben
          AA7AS
        • Bob Macklin
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
            This is what I have been thinking about. A subassembly containing the Si570,
            3.3V regulator and bypass caps. Maybe plug into SIP sockets.

            I have adapters for PLCC and TQFP chips that do this. One if the small chips
            I have adapters for are the Analog Devices DDS chips.

            Bob Macklin
            K5MYJ
            Seattle, Wa.
            "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: SoftRock LiteII combined.........

              > This is what I have been thinking about. A subassembly containing the Si570,
              > 3.3V regulator and bypass caps. Maybe plug into SIP sockets.

              Most seem to get there eventually. These components are extremely robust and solder wick gets rid of bridges.

              But my first use of the Si570 used dead bug techniques. One of them was with a hole for the Si570 and bridges to the PCB.
              Another like this <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/HomeBrew.htm> The FIN2001 is not needed, a larger regulator could be used
              off-board.
              However, by the time you've made something like this you will most likely have had success soldering an Ensemble board.
              I only used these techniques to update earlier Softrocks or make stand-alone generators where ready-made boards were not available.