remnant on waterfall

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
      Hello,

      I have two 'carrier' stripes in HDSDR. They are always there and I assumed
      it was a sound card
      thing because I cannot detect them on the radio.

      Something interesting!

      I just played some music on the computer speakers when HDSDR was running on
      an EXTERNAL sound card
      and I saw an audio pattern (not music per se) around those two carriers.
      When the music stopped so
      did the extra patterns. The speakers are on the computer internal sound
      card.

      Did not know this was possible!

      73's

      Glen K4KV
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] remnant on waterfall

        > I have two 'carrier' stripes in HDSDR. They are always there and I assumed
        > it was a sound card
        > thing because I cannot detect them on the radio.

        Glen ,

        What do you mean "stripes"? Attch a screenshot or put it in the Photo section.

        > I just played some music on the computer speakers when HDSDR was running on
        > an EXTERNAL sound card
        > and I saw an audio pattern (not music per se) around those two carriers.
        > When the music stopped so

        This could be due to mixer settings <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/sdr-with-soundcard-basic-faults>

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Glen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
          Alan,

          What a birdie normally looks like.  A narrow, constant signal, about 20db above the noise floor...
          I posted a photo in the photo section: K4KV Ensemble II
          Notice the remnants at 092.5 and 156.5.  These get 'enhanced' when audio is played through the speakers.
          No mixing or special effect are on.

          Another thing of note: I used to have a center spike, but, since adding the isolation transformers, I have a central DIP.  Notice the
          dead zone 2.5khz wide at the center. and two little peaks either side of the center dead zone.

          BTW this is a pic of the K3 output into an Ensemble II with a sound blaster external that has the extra caps added.  You see how dead
          6M is here ;-)

          73's  Glen K4KV

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013

            > What a birdie normally looks like. A narrow, constant signal, about 20db
            > above the noise floor...
            > I posted a photo in the photo section: K4KV Ensemble II
            > Notice the remnants at 092.5 and 156.5. These get 'enhanced' when audio is
            > played through the speakers.
            > No mixing or special effect are on.

            Glen,

            I'd normally say these are minor signals that you will need to diagnose. But I have no idea how they get modulated.
            Are they there with no audio input to the card?
            Were they there before you worked on the card?

            > Another thing of note: I used to have a center spike, but, since adding the
            > isolation transformers, I have a central DIP. Notice the
            > dead zone 2.5khz wide at the center. and two little peaks either side of the
            > center dead zone.

            What transformers?
            If it really is dead for 2.5KHz then they do not have any LF response.
            You could not have had a spike, they will not remove that, just noise from ground loops.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            > BTW this is a pic of the K3 output into an Ensemble II with a sound blaster
            > external that has the extra caps added. You see how dead
            > 6M is here ;-)

          • Paul, N6EV
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
              Glen,
              If you're talking about the common RadioShack "Ground Loop
              Isolators", they are actually not transformers. They are filters
              which reject 60 Hz. I don't know the specs, or if they are notch, or
              high pass variety. It wouldn't surprise me that they would affect
              the audio response close in to the LO. I ran into the same problem,
              thinking I was installing an isolation transformer. One of the
              connector pairs 'worked', while the other made things worse. Thought
              I had a bad one and exchanged it only to find the same
              problem. After a bit of research online I found it was not a
              transformer after all and ditched it.

              73
              Paul N6EV

              At 09:03 AM 6/29/2013, Alan G4ZFQ wrote in response:
              >What transformers?
              >If it really is dead for 2.5KHz then they do not have any LF response.
              >You could not have had a spike, they will not remove that, just
              >noise from ground loops.
            • Glen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
                Paul,