HDSDR/WinRad Software: "Waterfall Display" (?)

  • Dirk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
      I am new to using SDR radios
      I have a softrock ensemble II RX successfully installed

      I ask for tips or advice regarding viewing and changing
      the Waterfall Display in HDSDR software...

      1) Am I supposed to see a "mirror image" of signals (in Waterfall Display) on each side of the LO (local oscillator I am tuned to) ?

      2) If I should not see a "mirror image"...how do I set set or change options/settings in HDSDR software to fix this ?

      3) Can this "mirror image" be caused by using an older
      16-bit sound card?
      (Set-up A for me is 16-bit AC97 soundcard (built-in PC motherboard); computer is Intel P4 2.8GHz WinXP SP3 with 4 Gig RAM)

      I have already throughly read through previous posts about H/W set-up
      in this Yahoo-Group.
      I believe one problem I had was >>need to swap I/Q in the rx hardware.<< I fixed this by "crossing" leads of JMP1 that connects to the "Line-in" jack of the softrock board.

      Thanks for any advice or direction.
      Dirk Hacker- N7QP
      dirk.hacker@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] HDSDR/WinRad Software: "Waterfall Display" (?)

        >I am new to using SDR radios
        > I have a softrock ensemble II RX successfully installed
        >
        > I ask for tips or advice regarding viewing and changing
        > the Waterfall Display in HDSDR software...
        >
        > 1) Am I supposed to see a "mirror image" of signals (in Waterfall Display) on each side of the LO (local oscillator I am tuned to)
        > ?
        >
        > 2) If I should not see a "mirror image"...how do I set set or change options/settings in HDSDR software to fix this ?

        Dirk,

        If this is an EXACT mirror image, all the same strength, then there is something wrong.
        You are not getting a "stereo" signal into the soundcard. The link Robby gives tells about this.

        If it is a partitial mirror then here is image reduction for HDSDR. You are unlikely to need "sample delay"
        <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-iq-balance>

        Note IQ swap can only be checked and set correctly if image cancelling is working. LSB signals must be LSB, tuning must not be
        inverted.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
          Thanks to Bobby & Alan for their suggestions & links to
          Internet Pages on this subject.

          It's really benefical to have experts "watching" the group-msgs
          and have Web-pages...already created for reading...on these specific things. I will try the suggestions you have provided.

          Thank You !
          Dirk H.