heat gun vs embossing tool

  • W7VH
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 25, 2013
      I'm going to start building an RXTX and am planning on
      using solder past for the SMT. I have a regular heat gun
      but folks are using a smaller embossing tool type of heat gun.
      I suppose that let's you control exactly where the heat
      is going in a finer area? Has anyone used a regular (i.e.
      larger) heat gun for this application?

      Thanks,

      Jon
      W7VH
    • kb9gpm
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 2, 2013
        Actually, I use a cheap Radio Shack station too. Well and a bench magnifying glass too. Mainly because I already had it. But one of these days when it wears out, I plan on upgrading to a nice Weller. So they can be built without buying expensive equipment. You just need steady hands. I've even build a Peaberry using the same setup.

        73 David K9GPM