Re: [softrock40] Ensemble VHF Frequency range?

  • Zack Widup
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 24 6:36 AM
      The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
      the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
      built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
      at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.

      The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
      known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
      wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.

      You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
      the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.

      73, Zack W9SZ

      On 6/24/13, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • Bob Macklin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 24 7:26 AM
        Where is information on using this receiver on the VHF bands?

        Bob Macklin
        K5MYJ
        Seattle, Wa.
        "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

        > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
        > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
        > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
        > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
        >
        > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
        > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
        > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
        >
        > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
        > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
        >
        > 73, Zack W9SZ

      • Sylvain AZARIAN
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 24 8:53 AM
          Hi group,

          I've personnally used the VHF RX around 115 Mhz without noticeable issue. I made it for 144 MHz and just tuned it using a VHF generator. The only problem is the input RF filter bandwidth, quite limited (I haven't checked in details). I just can say that when set to 115 Mhz, it is difficult to get something at 120MHz, I can estimate the bandwidth somehow around 5 Mhz roughly

          F4GKR sylvain

          2013/6/24 Dave <n1ohn@...>

          Hello all

          I was wondering what the actual receive range is on the Ensemble II VHF RX is. Is it only the ham bands?

          Thanks

          Dave
          N1OHN

        • Zack Widup

            > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
            > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
            > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
            > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
            >
            > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
            > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
            > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
            >
            > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
            > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
            >
            > 73, Zack W9SZ

          • Bob Macklin
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 24 10:08 AM
              Right off the top I am not impressed.

              For 2M operation it would be better to use a conventional 2M/10M converter. Such as those made by DEMI.

              But what the hobby needs is 2M/10M converter that is less costly than the DEMI converter.

              With the DEMI converter 28.0 to 29.0 tunes 144.0 to 145.0.

              Bob Macklin
              K5MYJ
              Seattle, Wa.
              "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

              > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
              > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
              > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
              > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
              >
              > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
              > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
              > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
              >
              > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
              > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
              >
              > 73, Zack W9SZ

            • Zack Widup

                > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
                > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
                > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
                > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
                >
                > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
                > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
                > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
                >
                > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
                > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
                >
                > 73, Zack W9SZ

              • vbifyz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 24 11:41 AM
                  Without tuning, the filter bandwidth is narrow (few MHz). But the filter can be tuned and/or modified over a wide range.
                  I built mine for 6m and later tuned it to 61.25MHz (TV channel 3 carrier) using trim caps only. To go to channels 4 (67.25) and 5 (77.25) I had to remove a few turns from the inductors, but it worked fine.

                  73, Mike

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Sylvain AZARIAN <sylvain.azarian@...> wrote:

                  > Hi group,
                  >
                  > I've personnally used the VHF RX around 115 Mhz without noticeable issue. I
                  > made it for 144 MHz and just tuned it using a VHF generator. The only
                  > problem is the input RF filter bandwidth, quite limited (I haven't checked
                  > in details). I just can say that when set to 115 Mhz, it is difficult to
                  > get something at 120MHz, I can estimate the bandwidth somehow around 5 Mhz
                  > roughly
                  >
                  > F4GKR sylvain
                  >

                  > 2013/6/24 Dave <n1ohn@...>
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Hello all
                  > >
                  > > I was wondering what the actual receive range is on the Ensemble II VHF RX
                  > > is. Is it only the ham bands?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > > N1OHN

                • MIKE DURKIN
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 24 12:14 PM
                    Through ?

                    Mike KC7NOA

                    To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                    > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
                    > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
                    > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
                    > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
                    >
                    > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
                    > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
                    > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
                    >
                    > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
                    > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
                    >
                    > 73, Zack W9SZ

                  • Zack Widup
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 24 12:21 PM
                      I have separate transverters for 902, 1296, 2304, 3456, 5760 and 10368 MHz that use a 144 MHz IF. My 24 GHz transverter uses a 432 MHz IF. I'm working on a 47 GHz transverter with a 1296 MHz IF.
                      :-)

                      73, Zack W9SZ

                      On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM, MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...> wrote:

                      Through ?

                      Mike KC7NOA

                      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                      > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
                      > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
                      > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
                      > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
                      >
                      > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
                      > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
                      > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
                      >
                      > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
                      > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
                      >
                      > 73, Zack W9SZ

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 24 4:22 PM
                        Thanks all!!!

                        Looks like I will have to go with something else. I'm looking for 120-170 full range

                        Dave

                        On Jun 24, 2013, at 3:14 PM, MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...> wrote:

                        Through ?

                        Mike KC7NOA

                        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                        > The front end circuit is mainly what determines the frequency range of
                        > the device. It consists of a preamp device and a tuned circuit. I
                        > built mine to tune the weak-signal part of the 2m band. It is peaked
                        > at 144.2 MHz. I'm not sure what its useful range is.
                        >
                        > The sensitivity of mine seems comparable with my FT290R, which is
                        > known to be slightly deaf but not too bad. A good GaAs preamp works
                        > wonders with the Softrock Ensemble II.
                        >
                        > You could redesign and build the front end to tune any frequency in
                        > the VHF region. Setting up the LO for that band should be easy.
                        >
                        > 73, Zack W9SZ

                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 24 4:30 PM
                          Maybe the Funcube Dongle or RTL-SDR