Re: [softrock40] FW: ensemble II problem

  • R. R. (Robby) Robson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
      Oops.  Thought that was a question posed to me via the comments link on my WB5RVZ pages.  Glen has already posed the question on the reflector.  My bad.

      On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM, R. R. (Robby) Robson <rrrobson@...> wrote:
      Glen:

      I am on vacation and away from my bench.

      You would do better to post these questions on the Softrock40 reflector

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Glen <k4kv@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I have traced the signal paths through to the QSD chip. I have 50mv of
      signal on pins 3,6,11,12
      from the test generator. I have quadrature clock on pins 2 and 14. Pins
      1,8,15 are low and 16 pin
      +5. No output can be seen on pins 7 and 9.

      Can I assume this chip is bad? The board has been intermittent since it was
      built, sometimes working
      very nicely! I have used wick to suck all the excess solder off the pins.
      I know it would be
      very unusual to have a bad chip, but I cannot see any other thing.

      I guess since I am using it for a panadapter, I could remove U8 and jumper
      around it and put
      it in place of U10.

      Thoughts?

      73's

      Glen K4KV

      --
      Cheers,
      Robby

      Richard R. (Robby) Robson
      LTC USA (RET)

      --
      Cheers,
      Robby

      Richard R. (Robby) Robson
      LTC USA (RET)
    • Glen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013

        Oops is right, but it is my oops...found the problem: a brand new bnc cable from All Electronics was bad...I have a doubled-shielded
        silver plated Teflon cable, and used it and no problems...never would have thought a new cable could be bad or intermittent.

        The new one is in the circular file!

        73's

        Glen K4KV

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          > Can I assume this chip is bad? The board has been intermittent since it was
          > built, sometimes working
          > very nicely! I have used wick to suck all the excess solder off the pins.
          > I know it would be
          > very unusual to have a bad chip, but I cannot see any other thing.

          Glen,

          I had the very similar situation with my Lite RX. The mixer replacement with new one resolve the problem.

          Regards,
          Andy - YL2QN