Re: Ensemble II USB Tiny85 Issue.

  • alanzfq
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "xelaxelag" <ebay1@...> wrote:

      > I have anEnsemble II kit and am trying to test the USB/oscillator portion of the board.
      > I have loaded drivers on to three different computers, XP, WIN7 64,Win 7 32 and plugged the board in to each. When plugged in I get a generic poopup message that says "USB device not recognized", and in the device manager it shows up as "unknown device" this happens even if the Tiny85 chip is removed from the board.
      >
      > The soldering looks good and there is 5 volts on pins 4 & 8
      >
      > The question is when the board is plugged in to an XP PC with no driver loaded should I at least be getting a message that says "Found new hardware DG8SAQ-I2C" and then proceed to load the driver?

      Alex

      Yes, but you should use the new driver installation <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb> link and some fault-finding, that should put it where it needs to be.

      > Right now I have no way of knowing if the Tiny85 is good or bad.
      >
      > I am caught between the the hardware and software world and do not know how to resolve this.

      Then remove all USB devices before plugging in the Softrock.
      If it still does not work it is most likely a solder joint. The ground pin if the ATTiny socket needs a lot of heat.
      A faulty chip is just possible but unlikely.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • xelaxelag
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
        Thanks for the reply. The info is what I needed and very comprehensive.

        I have tried all those measures and still the same results.
        I think it is a dead controller chip, not sure how or why though.

        Will report back when the issue is solved.

        Thanks
        Alex G.
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alanzfq" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "xelaxelag" <ebay1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have anEnsemble II kit and am trying to test the USB/oscillator portion of the board.
        > > I have loaded drivers on to three different computers, XP, WIN7 64,Win 7 32 and plugged the board in to each. When plugged in I get a generic poopup message that says "USB device not recognized", and in the device manager it shows up as "unknown device" this happens even if the Tiny85 chip is removed from the board.
        > >
        > > The soldering looks good and there is 5 volts on pins 4 & 8
        > >
        > > The question is when the board is plugged in to an XP PC with no driver loaded should I at least be getting a message that says "Found new hardware DG8SAQ-I2C" and then proceed to load the driver?
        > >

        > Alex
        >
        > Yes, but you should use the new driver installation <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb> link and some fault-finding, that should put it where it needs to be.
        >
        > > Right now I have no way of knowing if the Tiny85 is good or bad.
        > >
        > > I am caught between the the hardware and software world and do not know how to resolve this.
        > >

        > Then remove all USB devices before plugging in the Softrock.
        > If it still does not work it is most likely a solder joint. The ground pin if the ATTiny socket needs a lot of heat.
        > A faulty chip is just possible but unlikely.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
          Alex,
          What do you mean by "loaded the drivers"?
          The correct sequence is:
          1. Put the driver files in some location on the PC. At this point they are not yet "loaded".
          2. unplug USB mouse, it usually creates a conflict with Softrock
          3. Plug in the Softrock. Windows says "unknown device found", this is normal. Now you can plug the mouse back in.
          4. If you see the driver installation dialog, select "instal manually" and point to the location where you put the driver files.
          5. If there is no dialog, in Device Manager select the "unknown device" and try updating driver for it, again pointing to the location of the driver files.
          Only now the files are copied to the proper location in Windows and registered, and only now you can say that you "loaded the drivers".

          73, Mike

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "xelaxelag" <ebay1@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply. The info is what I needed and very comprehensive.
          >
          > I have tried all those measures and still the same results.
          > I think it is a dead controller chip, not sure how or why though.
          >
          > Will report back when the issue is solved.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Alex G.
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alanzfq" <alan4alan@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "xelaxelag" <ebay1@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have anEnsemble II kit and am trying to test the USB/oscillator portion of the board.
          > > > I have loaded drivers on to three different computers, XP, WIN7 64,Win 7 32 and plugged the board in to each. When plugged in I get a generic poopup message that says "USB device not recognized", and in the device manager it shows up as "unknown device" this happens even if the Tiny85 chip is removed from the board.
          > > >
          > > > The soldering looks good and there is 5 volts on pins 4 & 8
          > > >
          > > > The question is when the board is plugged in to an XP PC with no driver loaded should I at least be getting a message that says "Found new hardware DG8SAQ-I2C" and then proceed to load the driver?
          > > >

          > > Alex
          > >
          > > Yes, but you should use the new driver installation <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb> link and some fault-finding, that should put it where it needs to be.
          > >
          > > > Right now I have no way of knowing if the Tiny85 is good or bad.
          > > >
          > > > I am caught between the the hardware and software world and do not know how to resolve this.
          > > >

          > > Then remove all USB devices before plugging in the Softrock.
          > > If it still does not work it is most likely a solder joint. The ground pin if the ATTiny socket needs a lot of heat.
          > > A faulty chip is just possible but unlikely.
          > >
          > > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • xelaxelag
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
            Issue resolved, it was a faulty Tiny85 chip. I put a good one in and the radio took off working.

            Very impressed with the radio, it is a lot of fun.

            Alex G