Re: [softrock40] rx

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
      Glen,

      The spur in the center is normal. You can minimize it but not really eliminate it. It's just an artifact of using soundcards to decode the IQ signal. Other noises and spurs could be local noise makers or ground loops. There's lots of comments in the files area about swatting those pests.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013

        > I guess the Ensemble is working. I tried another sound input and it was
        > quieter. It had quite a
        > few 20M signals that I could decode. Then switched back the SB external,
        > and it was not much
        > different.
        >
        > I guess I was bummed out by all the junk on the waterfall, especially in the
        > center.
        >
        > I know some hams have modified this SB external unit, and I have already
        > ordered the parts.

        Glen

        Until you clean up the display you will not see any possible improvement of the modification. It will not make any major difference.
        Most modern soundcards will produce quite a good display once everything is setup correctly.

        Soundcard mixer settings can be a problem

        "
        Soundcard settings. Bruce KF1Z
        In Windows volume control settings (Properties). XP Right click the Speaker Icon - Open Volume Control - Options - Properties -
        Recording Input.
        First, you must use Line-input to the soundcard. Not microphone input.....
        Make sure that in Windows volume controls for input, the ONLY thing that is checked is LINE-IN... [Set the slider to maximum]
        If there is a "Stereo-MIX" make sure it's muted.
        In OUTPUT [Playback] settings (still windows volume controls)
        Make sure the only things checked is WAVE .... (and "master volume" if there is one..) [Set the sliders towards maximum]
        Make SURE that LINE-IN is MUTED in playback (output) settings. "

        Make sure any special effects are switched off.

        And ground loops/PSU/external noise will also create a big mess in the middle. A single sharp spike in the centre may be considered
        normal.
        A quick test with a 9V battery will eliminate PSU noise and ground loop problems. Other noise and ground loops can take longer to
        find.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        > I guess I have to figure out if the other bands work, bc the 8-16Mhz IS
        > working!
        >
        > I need some time, and do more reading to try and clean up the display.
        >
        > I have two interests in this board: as an SDR and as a panadapter for a K3.
        >
        > 73's

      • Glen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2013
          Alan,

          Should I use an isolation transformer?  Actually two transformers?

          73's

          Glen K4KV

          > I guess the Ensemble is working. I tried another sound input and it was
          > quieter. It had quite a
          > few 20M signals that I could decode. Then switched back the SB external,
          > and it was not much
          > different.
          >
          > I guess I was bummed out by all the junk on the waterfall, especially in the
          > center.
          >
          > I know some hams have modified this SB external unit, and I have already
          > ordered the parts.

          Glen

          Until you clean up the display you will not see any possible improvement of the modification. It will not make any major difference.
          Most modern soundcards will produce quite a good display once everything is setup correctly.

          Soundcard mixer settings can be a problem

          "
          Soundcard settings. Bruce KF1Z
          In Windows volume control settings (Properties). XP Right click the Speaker Icon - Open Volume Control - Options - Properties -
          Recording Input.
          First, you must use Line-input to the soundcard. Not microphone input.....
          Make sure that in Windows volume controls for input, the ONLY thing that is checked is LINE-IN... [Set the slider to maximum]
          If there is a "Stereo-MIX" make sure it's muted.
          In OUTPUT [Playback] settings (still windows volume controls)
          Make sure the only things checked is WAVE .... (and "master volume" if there is one..) [Set the sliders towards maximum]
          Make SURE that LINE-IN is MUTED in playback (output) settings. "

          Make sure any special effects are switched off.

          And ground loops/PSU/external noise will also create a big mess in the middle. A single sharp spike in the centre may be considered
          normal.
          A quick test with a 9V battery will eliminate PSU noise and ground loop problems. Other noise and ground loops can take longer to
          find.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          > I guess I have to figure out if the other bands work, bc the 8-16Mhz IS
          > working!
          >
          > I need some time, and do more reading to try and clean up the display.
          >
          > I have two interests in this board: as an SDR and as a panadapter for a K3.
          >
          > 73's

        • alanzfq
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2013
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Glen" <k4kv@...> wrote:

            > Should I use an isolation transformer? Actually two transformers?

            Glen

            Some do.
            But personally I do not recommend them. I will not expand, I'm sure someone who does will.
            If you are patient you should be able to reduce ground loop effects to a low level. Basically it is a matter of ensuring there is only one connection between the Softrock and computer. Good USB devices can be used without transformers.
            I have a page here that shows how good it can be, and ideas of how to achieve it.
            <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_ground_-earth-_loops>