Re: [softrock40] Ensemble 2

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
      Hi Glen,

      I do all my testing on an XP box using Rocky 3.7 so I am not very helpful concerning HDSDR questions.

      One thing to check is the BPF filter selection which is based on center frequency commanded from the SDR program.  The select bits are pin 4 of U5 for the SEL_0 bit and pin 4 of U4 for the SEL_1 bit.  The normal BPF switch points are at 4 MHz, 8 MHz, and 16 MHz  for 00, 01, 10 and 11 BPF selection bits.

      The guys who monitor the SoftRock40 Yahoo group are quick to be helpful when specific questions are posted and have lots of experience with the HDSDR program.

      Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

      --
      Tony Parks
      kb9yig@...

      On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 18:50 -0400, Glen wrote:

      Hello,

      I was told this was the place to ask questions about my Ensemble 2 I just
      finished..if not ignore
      this and point me to the correct group please!

      It appear much is working with the Ensemble 2 and HDSDR. I brought up the
      Si config program and
      selected Ensemble 2 LF/HF.

      Here is what I know, but there is a TON I do not know:
      1. The HDSR when running shows lots of spurs, huge jumble of noise at the
      center and apparently no
      rx signals. I have it hooked to my quad where, on 20M, there should be
      copious signals.
      2. I hear the Si chip on my Pro2.
      3. I see the quadrature signals on the Ensemble 2 board.
      4. the op amp test passes
      5. All the power supplies are OK
      6. USB and comm with the PC good.
      7. The ExtIO is lit in HDSDR, and, when clicked, brings up the Si config
      program.
      8. All noise disappears when I unplug the stereo cable from the Ensemble 2.
      9. I have QSD enabled, and the second 74AC74 is NOT installed, just a
      jumper at HF jumper.
      10. I can slide the frequency around and 'listen' to the noise and such.

      Background: this is my first SDR. I have lots of test equipment including
      an N2PK VNA and
      4 channel digital scope.

      Can u point me in the right direction? Should I start sweeping the bandpass
      filters (and transformers)?

      73's

      Glen K4KV

    • Glen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

        Tony,

        Thanks, I had not checked that, but, yes, the bandpass select voltages do change when I change the frequency enough to move into
        the next segment...checked all of them, it is OK.

        73's

        Glen K4KV

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

           Glen,

          I don't think you described your soundcard situation and that, and windows audio settings, are often where the trouble lies.

          John
          KC9OJV

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

            John,

            I have a sound blaster x-fi external.  It is running at 48khz.  When I pull the stereo plug out of the Ensemble, the waterfall goes DEAD
            quiet.

            ???

            73's

            Glen K4KV

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
              Glen,

              Usually that card works fine but the Soundblaster software creates all sorts of mischief.
              I don't use their software at all- just windows drivers. Have you tried your internal card?

              John
              KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

                John,

                No, but I also have a little SB XFi dongle that I can try...will report back.

                73's

                Glen K4KV