How to measure IMD?

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 13, 2013
      13/06/2013 12:11

      I run a couple of Softrock SDR transceivers and have now connected my
      30, 20 and 17 meter one to my old Collins 30L-1 valved linear which I
      restored a while back. It now gives about 5 to 8 watts. (WOW! :)) I
      would like to see what the IMD looks like though, less than one watt
      with a bit of IMD isn't going to worry many people, but if I up the
      power I feel obliged to do my best to check the signal is as clean as
      I can make it. I have a spectrum analyser, but I am not very good with
      it yet as I worry about blowing it up. I am becoming a bit more
      confident since getting a pair of DC blocks and some step and fixed
      attenuators. I also have a biggish 100 watt 30dB attenuator and an
      adjustable RF coupler. There are software programmes to inject a two
      tone audio frequency into the SDR transceiver, I think? I believe this
      is all I might need? So what I am short of is clear instruction as to
      what to do and how to interpret the results. I believe just looking at
      the signal on my `scope can be misleading as it may not show IMD well,
      or at all.

      I looked on You Tube and Googled, but found nothing of great use. Can
      anyone assist please, either here, or by pointing me to some other
      site? Thanks.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 61 of 61 , Jun 18, 2013
        'cause IMD, as measured using the ARRL protocol, is specified with reference to PEP, which is accepted to be 6 dB higher than the two tone level.

        I would be interested to see the mil protocol and specification if you have it.

        Lucy
        (AKA Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD)