Re: [softrock40] Differing sensitivity. Ensemble RXTX and Ensemble II RX

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2013
      > Subject: [softrock40] Differing sensitivity. Ensemble RXTX and Ensemble II RX

      >> I have put a low level single frequency 20 meter test signal into both
      >> my Ensemble RXTX built for 17, 20 and 30 meters, and my Ensemble II
      >> RX. The Ensemble RX is quite a lot less sensitive. I am sure I did the
      >> transformer winding change over mod to both, before I investigate
      >> further I assume this is not normal? Whilst the Ensemble II RX is
      >> perfectly usable the difference is quite marked when you look at
      >> levels in HDSDR with the same signal level from my sig gen into both.
      >>

      > Chris

      > While the RX will be less sensitive below 8MHz I would not expect a lot of difference on 20m.
      > How much? Read the dB scale.
      > Do you see antenna noise? This is my rough way of deciding if a
      > receiver is sensitive enough. Although that is only applicable to a
      > particular situation, band and time.

      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      I'll get some figures and scree shots tonight, if I can. My lathes
      "blown up" so from Softrock to Harrison 3 phase lathe, nothing like
      living in this mad house....

      13/06/2013 11:03

      I'll get some figures and scree shots tonight, if I can. My lathes
      "blown up" and tripping the breaker every time it's turned on, so I am
      moving from uV into a Softrock to a Harrison 3 phase lathe, nothing
      like living in this mad house.... Gotta be fixed, it helps buy toys
      and pay the bills :) Thanks Alan.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
        Chris

        First thing I would check is the ABPF tab in CFGSR. The symptoms you describe sound to me like the wrong filter is engaged.

        Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

        > 13/06/2013 10:23
        >
        > I have put a low level single frequency 20 meter test signal into both
        > my Ensemble RXTX built for 17, 20 and 30 meters, and my Ensemble II
        > RX. The Ensemble RX is quite a lot less sensitive. I am sure I did the
        > transformer winding change over mod to both, before I investigate
        > further I assume this is not normal? Whilst the Ensemble II RX is
        > perfectly usable the difference is quite marked when you look at
        > levels in HDSDR with the same signal level from my sig gen into both.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        > mailto: chris@...

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013

          > Chris

          > First thing I would check is the ABPF tab in CFGSR. The symptoms
          > you describe sound to me like the wrong filter is engaged.

          > Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD

          14/06/2013 15:51

          Thanks Warren, but I thought the ABPF has to be UN-ticked (not
          selected) for the RXTX Softrocks? That's to say you only select it
          with the Ensemble RX II receiver?

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013

            > Chris

            > First thing I would check is the ABPF tab in CFGSR. The symptoms
            > you describe sound to me like the wrong filter is engaged.

            > Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD

            14/06/2013 15:53

            Ahh, edit!!! I see what you mean, you think it may NOT be engaged in
            the RX Ensemble? It is set to on for the RX Ensemble, and OFF for the
            RXTX Ensemble.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
              OK... good. One less thing.

              Next, if you can, put the same level signal in at frequencies which will engage each of the filters in turn.... say at 2, 6, 10, and 20 MHz. Check the level on each. You may find that one of the filters is defective. If the problem appears on each of the four bands then we need Plan C.

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

              > > Chris
              >
              > > First thing I would check is the ABPF tab in CFGSR. The symptoms
              > > you describe sound to me like the wrong filter is engaged.
              >
              > > Warren Allgyer - 9V1TD
              >

              > 14/06/2013 15:53
              >
              > Ahh, edit!!! I see what you mean, you think it may NOT be engaged in
              > the RX Ensemble? It is set to on for the RX Ensemble, and OFF for the
              > RXTX Ensemble.
              >

              > --
              > Best Regards,
              > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY