Re: USB2SDR and controlling software

  • RLN37
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2013
      Thanks for all the comments. I gather that the USB2SDR is a bit restrictive, both in hardware and software. The USB2SDR is probably a fine instrument for the experienced person who knows just what he wants. But for the inexperienced guy like me, more flexibility is probably the best thing. So I think I will just go with an external sound card for now, and see how it all develops. And for that I will be able to use Linux on the software side, as I am wont to do.

      73 and thanks again - Bob, K6KL
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 12 , May 20, 2013
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, RLN37 <rln37@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for all the comments. I gather that the USB2SDR is a bit restrictive, both in hardware and software. The USB2SDR is probably a fine instrument for the experienced person who knows just what he wants. But for the inexperienced guy like me, more flexibility is probably the best thing. So I think I will just go with an external sound card for now, and see how it all develops. And for that I will be able to use Linux on the software side, as I am wont to do.
        >
        > 73 and thanks again - Bob, K6KL

        USB2SDR is supported by ghpsdr3-alex client/server SDR software running under Linux (for the server), with Linux, Windows, Android, and Web/java clients.

        There is a branch called usb2sdr in the source code repository (see the wiki (http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page) for general information and where to find the repository) which allows you to run a usb2sdr-softrock server.

        Note that is for for Rx only for the usb2sdr/softrock combo.

        However, it is not easy to set all these up properly.

        So I agree with you that a stock external USB sound card might be easier for a beginner.

        73 Alex