Two Softrocks on same PC?

  • LA3JJ
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16 10:52 AM
      Hi all,
      Is there a solution for running two Softrocks on same PC? (2xSi570s)
      Would like to control them both via CAT from different sources like PSDR-IQ, HDSDR and WSPR etc.

      73
      Jon Ove, la3jj
    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16 1:07 PM
        Challenge #1 will be to come up with enough audio channels to drive two of them. You probably don't need twice as much I/O since you'll mix all the audio together in the computer so you'll only need one listening output (and one microphone input for voice transmit), but you will need one stereo input for each receiver, and one stereo output for each transmitter if you're doing that.

        Challenge #2 will be to have enough computing and graphics horsepower to do both of them justice. A good current desktop computer will handle it with no problem, but older systems and low-power systems like netbooks may struggle.

        After you've gotten that far, you'd probably have to do some work on the USB drivers to make it possible to have more than one Softrock device. That might already be in place; I don't know.

        I know that people have done more than one of the basic Softrocks (no USB control) on one PC, so it is possible with the right computer.

        On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM, LA3JJ <la3jj@...> wrote:

        Hi all,
        Is there a solution for running two Softrocks on same PC? (2xSi570s)
        Would like to control them both via CAT from different sources like PSDR-IQ, HDSDR and WSPR etc.

        73
        Jon Ove, la3jj

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , May 16 1:41 PM
          Jon:
            The I2C address of the Si570 is specified when the Si570 is ordered from Silicon Labs.  So, get 2 Si570's with different addresses.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>

          On 5/16/2013 10:52 AM, LA3JJ wrote:

          Hi all,
          Is there a solution for running two Softrocks on same PC? (2xSi570s)
          Would like to control them both via CAT from different sources like PSDR-IQ, HDSDR and WSPR etc.

          73
          Jon Ove, la3jj

        • Jasmine Strong

            Message 5 of 10 , May 16 2:29 PM
              Subject: [softrock40] Two Softrocks on same PC?

              > Is there a solution for running two Softrocks on same PC? (2xSi570s)
              > Would like to control them both via CAT from different sources like PSDR-IQ, HDSDR and WSPR etc.

              Hi Jon Ove,

              I'll have to think about this.
              It is certainly easy to use several Si570 Softrocks at the same time.
              HDSDR/Ext_IO lets you select a particular one, you can identify each by giving the AVR a different serial number with CFGSR.

              Other programs may be started in turn. Plug in one Softrock, start it working. Plug in another....
              I guess CAT may be setup on each, I do not know.
              I certainly think it's worth a try.

              Watching the first stage of Tour of Norway - in Finland.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Anthony Casorso
              Message 6 of 10 , May 16 2:52 PM
                I tried two Ensemble II RXs a couple of years ago. I had no end of trouble with USB enumeration. The theory was that the the USB identifier being used by the softrocks is in a class with keyboards and that the enumeration software only expected to find one device in that class for a given identifier. I am "parroting" when I say this because I never really understood the explanation. Since USB enumeration is a software driven process, perhaps the problems have been addressed in newer versions of windows. I have since upgraded to Windows 7. Perhaps I should play around with that again.

                I recall trying many things, including giving the two RXs different serial numbers. I should also mention that I had no intention of running them both at the same time. I had one configured for LF and the other for HF. I wanted to switch between them depending on what band I wanted to listen to.

                Tony

                PS; "USB Enumeration" refers to the process at startup when the USB driver goes out and locates everything connected to the bus and assigns a unique address to each. This is a tricky process because initially, the devices cannot be addressed.

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                From: alan4alan@...
                Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 21:29:12 +0000
                Subject: Re: [softrock40] Two Softrocks on same PC?

                Message 7 of 10 , May 16 10:48 PM

                  >I tried two Ensemble II RXs a couple of years ago. I had no end of trouble with USB enumeration. The theory was that the the USB
                  >identifier being used by the softrocks is in a class with keyboards and that the enumeration software only expected to find one
                  >device in that class for a given identifier.

                  Tony

                  I do not kmow what you mean. CFGSR has always shown all AVRs plugged into the computer. It has always been possible to select any
                  one of them.
                  Since V 15.12 (September 2009) of the AVR firmware it has been possible to give each an individual serial number to make it easy to
                  distinguish them apart.
                  I'm not aware of any differences for versions of Windows.

                  >I recall trying many things, including giving the two RXs different serial numbers. I should also mention that I had no intention
                  >of running them both at the same time. I had one configured for LF and the other for HF. I wanted to switch between them depending
                  >on what band I wanted to listen to.

                  There is a problem because only one SDR software has ever taken advantage of the serial number identification so it starts with a
                  particular AVR selected. (Pebble).
                  HDSDR has the facility of selecting a particular AVR, otherwise it is a matter of progressive plug-in setup, repeat.
                  For your purpose I would do that, setup two instances of the software. They could be used separately or simultaneously, not usually
                  a problem on modern computers.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • LA3JJ
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17 7:44 AM
                    Thanks all for good ideas of why it cannot and how it can be done ;-)
                    - as I get it nobody has actually done this.
                    It is 17th of may today, Norwegian national holliday, so I will come back to this in a few days time when some experiments have been done.
                    HDSDR concept with different serial no's seems worth looking at.

                    Now back to celebration of this day.

                    Wireless gods bless you all,

                    73

                    Jon Ove, la3jj

                    > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Two Softrocks on same PC?
                    >

                    > >I tried two Ensemble II RXs a couple of years ago. I had no end of trouble with USB enumeration. The theory was that the the USB
                    > >identifier being used by the softrocks is in a class with keyboards and that the enumeration software only expected to find one
                    > >device in that class for a given identifier.
                    >
                    > Tony
                    >
                    > I do not kmow what you mean. CFGSR has always shown all AVRs plugged into the computer. It has always been possible to select any
                    > one of them.
                    > Since V 15.12 (September 2009) of the AVR firmware it has been possible to give each an individual serial number to make it easy to
                    > distinguish them apart.
                    > I'm not aware of any differences for versions of Windows.
                    >
                    > >I recall trying many things, including giving the two RXs different serial numbers. I should also mention that I had no intention
                    > >of running them both at the same time. I had one configured for LF and the other for HF. I wanted to switch between them depending
                    > >on what band I wanted to listen to.
                    >
                    > There is a problem because only one SDR software has ever taken advantage of the serial number identification so it starts with a
                    > particular AVR selected. (Pebble).
                    > HDSDR has the facility of selecting a particular AVR, otherwise it is a matter of progressive plug-in setup, repeat.
                    > For your purpose I would do that, setup two instances of the software. They could be used separately or simultaneously, not usually
                    > a problem on modern computers.
                    >
                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • Roger Critchlow
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 17 10:25 AM
                      On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM, LA3JJ <la3jj@...> wrote:

                      Thanks all for good ideas of why it cannot and how it can be done ;-)
                      - as I get it nobody has actually done this.

                      I have connected multiple si570 softrocks and qrp2000s to a laptop running linux and controlled them independently with usbsoftrock and other software.  For instance, I used the qrp2000 as a signal generator for an Ensemble RX or RXTX.  It works fine, but it's easy to get confused.

                      I have also had problems with ATTiny USB controllers enumerating over USB hubs, problems which were cured by changing the order of the devices plugged into the hub.  I got the impression that the ATTiny USB software does not recover from some errors, it needs to be power cycled and rebooted.

                      The big question, which I can't answer, is whether any of the Windows SDR programs will accept a Softrock serial number and confine its attentions to the specified Softrock device.

                      -- rec -- ad5dz --
                    • Jon Ove Johnsen
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 18 6:21 AM
                        I'm now running PSDR-IQ (USB2SDR) with The FA-SDR  - and HDSDR with WSPR-X with the Ensemble RXTX on one PC under WinXP. It is a Core 2 Duo processor.
                        VAC and CAT working nicely on both. Using two different serial numbers on the AVRs solved my problems. Thank you all for contribution!

                        Soundcards are the X-Fi Surr 5.1 pro (modifed) and the USB2SDR.

                        Enjoying the nice pictures on my screen.
                        Will post some screenshots later.
                        Will try some experiments with my linux (Ubuntu LTS) too, thanks for info.

                        Also running the PSDR-IQ in MultiRx mode makes me able to listen to CW low in the band (or PSK-31) at the same time as receiving WSPR in the wspr band with only one SDR and soundcard.

                        Multi RX on HDSR would have been nice too ;-)

                        73 from a happy HAM
                        Jon Ove, la3jj