Re: [softrock40] Re: 6m Ensemble RXTX

  • Adam Jacobs
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2013
      This is something like the road that I am planning to go down when I get some time. I have the 6m transverter that mates to the FT-101. The transverter (supposedly) works, but I don't have an FT-101 to supply all of the various tube plate voltages and such. I scored a broken FT-101 and grabbed the powersupply components, the idea is to build a separate supply for this unit and make a standalone 6m transverter for use with my FT-840. However, I'm not convinced of the receive potential of a tube transverter. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see. :) So I was planning to build out a 6m Ensemble VHF RX for the receive path.

      -73 Adam W7QI

      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@...> wrote:

      The VHF Ensemble II works quite well on 144 MHz as a receiver. I think
      I mentioned here before that it compares with my Yaesu FT290RII which
      needs a little assistance for weak-signal work. An LNA preamp does
      great. I use mine mainly as a microwave IF on receive so I only have
      to watch the display while peaking a signal with the dish, not have to
      try to move the dish with one hand and tune a receiver knob with the
      other.

      I suppose for a transceiver you could use the RXTX with an additional
      6m transverter.

      73, Zack W9SZ

      On 5/12/13, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> [...]

    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2013
        Like people said, the CMOS switches in the Softrock radios don't work well above 10m. The VHF Softrock receiver uses a preamplifier and mixer in front of the QSD; a VHF transmitter could be designed using a similar approach but the Softrock series does not yet include such a design. Other SDR designs that cover VHF or UHF bands use different front ends: either a mixer for downconversion or a high speed DAC for direct sampling at the receive frequency. (Or they just have poor sensitivity like those DVB sticks.)

        The C version of the Si570 has enough range (barely) to cover 6M; for normal sampling you need an oscillator frequency of 4x the operating frequency. (Subharmonic sampling is another possibility; the fixed-frequency Softrock Lite radios use that on the higher bands.) The more expensive A or B versions would cover 6M easily.