Re: [softrock40] Re: Spam

  • Bill Cromwell
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4 2:26 PM
      On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 06:32 -0400, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:

      > Yes, it's true that if we went to full moderation there would be no
      > spam. But the flow of information would be throttled by the fact that
      > incoming messages would be slowed down by moderation. Instead of
      > people being able to respond quickly to a question, and to the replies
      > to the question, discussions would crawl because of the need for
      > approval of every message.
      >

      > Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

      Exactly,

      I have been in groups that couldn't tolerate some dirt from the real
      world. The whole world is made of dirt and every day you are gonna get
      some on you. Brush it off and keep on going. Those groups went to full
      moderation and became useless to me. I know this group got by without me
      somehow for a long time and could again if you have to. Go to a
      moderated list and you will have to. I have noticed the owner has not
      suggested going in that direction.

      How about getting back to discussions about radio in general and Soft
      rocks in particular with maybe a few side notes.

      73,

      Bill KU8H
    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 15 , May 8 5:59 AM
        I have been told that Yahoo accounts are particularly vulnerable for
        some reason. If you are actually logged into a Yahoo account, someone
        can hack into your computer and steal the cookie that was placed there
        by Yahoo. At that point, they can take over your account. So I don't
        even bother to read mail at my Yahoo address very often, nor do I read
        Yahoogroups through the website. I prefer to get my Yahoogroup e-mail
        at my gmail account. For some reason, gmail is more secure.

        But I don't think that is what happened with our group. I think
        spammers go looking for groups that are easy to get into by looking
        over the Yahoogroups themselves, then join those groups and spam away
        if the group isn't moderated. Then they seem to distribute the names
        of those groups with access weaknesses to similar spammers. Our group
        is likely to continue to get different spammers of the same type
        hitting it. Other groups get hit by different types of spammers (like
        the one I mentioned yesterday with the precious metals salesmen).

        73, Zack W9SZ

      • Alan Hill
        Message 3 of 15 , May 8 7:35 AM
          Another group at Yahoo moderates both membership and messages.  We verify most members before allowing posts.
          73,
          Alan - W6ARH

        • KF5ULI
          Message 4 of 15 , May 8 7:35 AM
            good grief just happened again.  out of my 100 yahoo groups this is the only one making spam. There has got to be a way of keeping these people from the group. Moderation for first few emails, verified call signs etc.

            On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

            All this whining about spam is worse than the spam itself.

            Bob

            --
            Angi
            Amatuer Radio Operator

            FRBG Breeding Services, Specalizing in the problem and hard to breed does, In Arkansas and Missouri
            AI services for Caprine, Cervid, Cattle, Sheep,
            AI Classes in Caprine, In Ar and surrounding states

          • dick williams
            Message 5 of 15 , May 8 8:02 AM
              I joined this group in order to further my interest in amateur radio not to be bombarded with spam especially not from people whingeing about it (which is just as bad).

              Its obvious that the moderator can't or wont do anything about it (he is the only person that can) despite offers of assistance. Therefore why dont we all just ignore it and get back to sensible (softrock and amateur) subjects.