ATTiny85 I2C programming

  • jbforrer
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4 9:27 AM
      Dear group,

      Anyone programmed an ATTiny85 with PE0FKO HEX file?

      I have it working but uncertain regarding whether to program the EEPROM with the supplied ".EEP" file as well?

      Seems if I leave the EEPROM programming, WinXP detects "USBasp" and all seem OK. If EEPROM gets programmed, WINXP detects "AVR USB device" and I2C communication with the Si570 fails.

      Presently I leave EEPROM unprogrammed with final setup done with CFGR. All works as expected, just a bit puzzled. Perhaps programming EEPROM screws up I2C Si570 I2C address?

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards.
      Johan, KC7WW.
    • cbayona
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4 9:45 AM
        I've done quite a few thousand devices with not issues.

        The EEPROM does not need to be programmed but the fuses do for it to
        have the proper clock and programming of the I/O pins.

        The fuses are;
        LOW FUSE E1
        HIGH FUSE 5D
        EXTENDED FUSE FF

        Once the fuses are programmed the part cannot be erase or
        re-programmed again unless you use a high voltage programmer to erase the chip.

        --
        Cecil - k5nwa

      • jbforrer
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4 10:07 AM
          Thanks Cecil,

          I'll check the fuse settings ... PE0FKO describes those in detail in the source code as well. I do have a HV programmer for resetting fuses (just in case).

          The issue came up while testing my new design using an ATMega328p implementation instead of the ATTiny85. To make sure, I programmed an ATTiny85 as see what it does and noted it does the same funny thing when programming EEP files.

          Since this seems normal behavior, I'll leave it alone as the ATMega328 are working nicely now ... opens up all sorts of possibilities. More I/O lines to control things.

          Thanks much,
          Johan, KC7WW.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, cbayona <CBayona@...> wrote:

          > I've done quite a few thousand devices with not issues.
          >
          > The EEPROM does not need to be programmed but the fuses do for it to
          > have the proper clock and programming of the I/O pins.
          >
          > The fuses are;
          > LOW FUSE E1
          > HIGH FUSE 5D
          > EXTENDED FUSE FF
          >
          > Once the fuses are programmed the part cannot be erase or
          > re-programmed again unless you use a high voltage programmer to erase the chip.
          >

          > At 11:27 AM 5/4/2013, you wrote:
          > >Dear group,
          > >
          > >Anyone programmed an ATTiny85 with PE0FKO HEX file?
          > >
          > >I have it working but uncertain regarding whether to program the
          > >EEPROM with the supplied ".EEP" file as well?
          > >
          > >Seems if I leave the EEPROM programming, WinXP detects "USBasp" and
          > >all seem OK. If EEPROM gets programmed, WINXP detects "AVR USB
          > >device" and I2C communication with the Si570 fails.
          > >
          > >Presently I leave EEPROM unprogrammed with final setup done with
          > >CFGR. All works as expected, just a bit puzzled. Perhaps programming
          > >EEPROM screws up I2C Si570 I2C address?
          > >
          > >Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > >Regards.
          > >Johan, KC7WW.
          > >

          > --
          > Cecil - k5nwa
          > < http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/ > < http://www.softrockradio.org/ >
          >
          > Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

        • cbayona
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4 4:13 PM
            You may want to consider making the code changes to the software for
            the ATMEGA328 available as several people have shown interest in such
            a beast including myself.

            Good choice selecting an ATMEGA328, lots of I/O, Flash, and RAM, and
            it's cheaper than most of the smaller usable devices.

            --
            Cecil - k5nwa

          • Jasmine Strong
            Message 5 of 14 , May 4 4:15 PM

              I'd recommend actually switching to an ATmega32u4, simply because it has a real USB cell and doesn't have to do janky things to make that work.

              -J.

              --
              Cecil - k5nwa

            • cbayona
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4 4:28 PM
                Cost 4X as much, only available in Quad Pack which makes it harder to
                experiment with, and you need a total re-write of the USB portion of
                the software. Sometimes better is not better.

                At 06:15 PM 5/4/2013, you wrote:

                >I'd recommend actually switching to an ATmega32u4, simply because it
                >has a real USB cell and doesn't have to do janky things to make that work.
                >
                >-J.
                >
                >On 4 May 2013, at 16:13, cbayona
                ><<mailto:CBayona@...>CBayona@...> wrote:
                >

                >>You may want to consider making the code changes to the software for
                >>the ATMEGA328 available as several people have shown interest in such
                >>a beast including myself.
                >>
                >>Good choice selecting an ATMEGA328, lots of I/O, Flash, and RAM, and
                >>it's cheaper than most of the smaller usable devices.
                >>
                >>At 12:07 PM 5/4/2013, you wrote:
                >> >Thanks Cecil,
                >> >
                >> >I'll check the fuse settings ... PE0FKO describes those in detail in
                >> >the source code as well. I do have a HV programmer for resetting
                >> >fuses (just in case).
                >> >
                >> >The issue came up while testing my new design using an ATMega328p
                >> >implementation instead of the ATTiny85. To make sure, I programmed
                >> >an ATTiny85 as see what it does and noted it does the same funny
                >> >thing when programming EEP files.
                >> >
                >> >Since this seems normal behavior, I'll leave it alone as the
                >> >ATMega328 are working nicely now ... opens up all sorts of
                >> >possibilities. More I/O lines to control things.
                >> >
                >> >Thanks much,
                >> >Johan, KC7WW.
                >> >
                >> >SNIP
                >>
                >>--
                >>Cecil - k5nwa
                >><
                >><http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/>http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/ >
                >>< http://www.softrockradio.org/ >
                >>
                >>Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

                --
                Cecil - k5nwa

              • Adam Jacobs
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4 4:58 PM
                  Exactly this. The advantage of using the more standard ATMega parts is that they are available in DIP and are cheap. Especially the ATMega168 and ATMega328 at this point, because they are the microcontroller used in arduino and are cheaper. I'm a huge fan of the Atmel microcontrollers and I usually stick to the parts that are available in DIP. The older 40-pin parts, like the ATMega16 and ATMega32 have a $20 ICE available.. Talk about cool!

                  As for the "janky" bit-banging for USB, yes it's a classic hack. Seems to work very well, though.. I don't see anything wrong with the idea, especially since the bandwidth used is very low. Another great thing about the Atmel ATMega parts is that as a rule, the code is very portable between devices.

                  -73 Adam W7QI

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4 5:16 PM

                    For prototyping with the 32u4, I use a Teensy.  I have a bunch of them that I keep in stock for just such an emergency.

                    As for rewriting the USB part-  that's about two hours work.  99% of the stuff V-USB does in the existing firmware is a direct drop for LUFA, and if you don't even want to do that, there's always Teensyduino.

                    -J.

                    At 06:15 PM 5/4/2013, you wrote:

                    >I'd recommend actually switching to an ATmega32u4, simply because it
                    >has a real USB cell and doesn't have to do janky things to make that work.
                    >
                    >-J.
                    >
                    >On 4 May 2013, at 16:13, cbayona
                    ><<mailto:CBayona@...>CBayona@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>You may want to consider making the code changes to the software for
                    >>the ATMEGA328 available as several people have shown interest in such
                    >>a beast including myself.
                    >>
                    >>Good choice selecting an ATMEGA328, lots of I/O, Flash, and RAM, and
                    >>it's cheaper than most of the smaller usable devices.
                    >>
                    >>At 12:07 PM 5/4/2013, you wrote:
                    >> >Thanks Cecil,
                    >> >
                    >> >I'll check the fuse settings ... PE0FKO describes those in detail in
                    >> >the source code as well. I do have a HV programmer for resetting
                    >> >fuses (just in case).
                    >> >
                    >> >The issue came up while testing my new design using an ATMega328p
                    >> >implementation instead of the ATTiny85. To make sure, I programmed
                    >> >an ATTiny85 as see what it does and noted it does the same funny
                    >> >thing when programming EEP files.
                    >> >
                    >> >Since this seems normal behavior, I'll leave it alone as the
                    >> >ATMega328 are working nicely now ... opens up all sorts of
                    >> >possibilities. More I/O lines to control things.
                    >> >
                    >> >Thanks much,
                    >> >Johan, KC7WW.
                    >> >
                    >> >SNIP
                    >>
                    >>--
                    >>Cecil - k5nwa
                    >><
                    >><http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/>http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/ >
                    >>< http://www.softrockradio.org/ >
                    >>
                    >>Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

                    --
                    Cecil - k5nwa

                  • dick williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4 5:20 PM
                      Hi .

                      There is an even better advantage to using the atmega 168/328. Since that is the controller used in the arduino why not use the arduino as the development and programming platform. The arduino is cheap and the IDE is free. I have taken this approach to several projects and then just transplanted the atmega into the final design.

                      I am considering using an si570 as a frequency source with an atmega328 for control.
                      Has anyone released any source code for this. I know there are several kits out there but they are all commercial products and the source is not available.

                      Thanks in advance....

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4 8:37 PM
                        Some of the newer Leonardo Arduino boards also use the 32u4 chips but
                        they are configured to emulate a serial port. Changing the device to
                        work as standard USB port will disable the Arduino compatibility.

                        --
                        Cecil - k5nwa

                      • jbforrer
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4 11:17 PM
                          Hi Cecil,

                          For those interested in trying the ATMega328p;
                          I used a hacked-up, working ATMega prototyping PCB fitted with 12MHz crystal. It may well be possible to use the internal oscillator as was done with the ATTiny. Otherwise,there really is nothing special.

                          For minimal effort (taking a leap of faith here); In a nutshell, a summary of my efforts:

                          1). Hardware wiring ... follow the same pin designations as per ATTiny85.

                          Pin ATTiny ATmega328P
                          -----------------------------
                          PB0 5 14
                          PB1 6 15
                          PB2 7 16
                          PB3 2 17
                          PB4 3 18
                          PB5 1 19

                          Of course, power and grounds in place.

                          In addition, on the ATMega328p, one also need to connect PB2 to PD2 (INT0).

                          2). Unzip PE0FKO V15.15 firmware kit, load project into AVRStudio and customize the project:
                          a) Processor ATMega328P
                          b) External crystal frequency if that is what you want to use.
                          c) No changes needed to code or headers etc.. Rebuild all.
                          d) Flash HEX file to your new ATMega328p chip.
                          e) The fuses I used: LOW=E1,HIGH=5D,EXT=FF (ckeck BOD, WODON, EXT. HS crystal).

                          I found it behaved exactly like the ATTiny85. Lots available pins now and more memory and for other purposes.

                          Trust this make sense.

                          73,

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 4 11:26 PM
                            Thanks for the information, I had no clue that it was that simple.
                            When I get a chance to test it I will offer it as a programming
                            option for ATMEGA328 chips.

                          • kb9gpm
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 5 8:22 AM
                              Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the code to. I'm a software developer by procession. But I've never done anything with these kinds of processors or signal processing. It's one of the reasons I got interested in SDR.

                              73's
                              KB9GPM

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 5 9:02 AM
                                You may want to also take a look at the dsPIC family of processors,
                                they are cheap, come in DIL packaging and have enough processing
                                power to process the I/Q of an SDR so no PC is needed. Also available
                                is the ST ARM4 family of CPUs which are quite cheap and powerful.

                                The ST F4 Discovery board is quite cheap at $15 and is powerful, with
                                168MHz CPU clock, 1MB of FLASH, 192KB of RAM and the IO pins brought
                                out to a header, it's hard to beat.
                                <
                                <http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvFPGEOwQcrY8eCSOyOXcPBXPB8snd5oaY%3d>http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvFPGEOwQcrY8eCSOyOXcPBXPB8snd5oaY%3d

                                --
                                Cecil - k5nwa