Spam

  • Robert Lorenzini
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2013
      All this whining about spam is worse than the spam itself.

      Bob
    • ve3tmt
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2013
        I beg to differ Bob,

        I didn't join this group to have to see this crap. IF the moderator is not interested in looking after it I will gladly do it.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

        > All this whining about spam is worse than the spamitself.
        >
        > Bob

      • KQ8M
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2013

          We have had a number of people offer to help including myself but nothing has been said. I don't even have a clue who the moderator(s) is(are).

          73,

          Tim Herrick, KQ8M

          Charter Member North Coast Contesters

          kq8m@...

          AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

          I didn't join this group to have to see this crap. IF the moderator is not interested in looking after it I will gladly do it.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

          > All this whining about spam is worse than the spamitself.
          >
          > Bob

        • Phil Frost
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2013
            On 05/02/2013 09:36 PM, KQ8M wrote:
            > We have had a number of people offer to help including myself but
            > nothing has been said. I don't even have a clue who the moderator(s)
            > is(are).

            By convention and according to the group webpage,

            softrock40-owner@yahoogroups.com

            is a good address to which to address this sort of complaint. I have to
            agree with some others: the complaining about spam is as bad as the spam
            itself. Complaints would more appropriately and usefully addressed to
            the list owner, who alone has the power to address the issue. If the
            list owner is unresponsive and the problem continues, I suggest
            unsubscribing. Complaining to the over 9000 members of the list, who
            also don't like spam, and who also can't fix the problem, is not productive.
          • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2013
              So far as I can tell, it's just about always been a case of one spam per subscriber; somebody joins the group, sends one bad message, and then they're out and can't send another. There have been a couple of cases of people getting two or three sent very quickly before the moderators can act.

              This kind of drive-by spam is impossible to prevent unless we want to lock down the group - make it completely moderated or have new users be moderated for a significant number of posts. (One won't do the trick; the spammers would just send one innocuous post and then hit us with the spam on the second one.) I consider that a cure that is worse than the disease, as it substantially interferes with the free flow of information on the list.

              Some people seem to find spam so offensive that even one bad message is intolerable. I just don't happen to be one of them, and feel that the cost of the messages we WON'T see would be too high a price to pay.
            • dick williams
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                 Hi .

                Surely the only answer to this spam from the group point of view is that all mail to the group is examined by the group owner/moderator before it is released.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                  Yes, it's true that if we went to full moderation there would be no spam. But the flow of information would be throttled by the fact that incoming messages would be slowed down by moderation. Instead of people being able to respond quickly to a question, and to the replies to the question, discussions would crawl because of the need for approval of every message.

                  Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

                • dick williams
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                    Hi.

                    And therein lies the problem..

                    We all want freedom of speech...No censorship....etc...etc....and as such we must be prepared to accept that there are people out there whose whole purpose in life if to be an asshole.  In other words we either put up and shut up or go for the knee-jerk option of banning the whole thing.  Lets face it, the majority of this rubbish is instantly recognisable so just bin it... Dont open it... and certainly lets stop whingeing about it because that is probably the reaction the spammers are looking for..
                    Personally, being a cynic, it wouldnt surprise me in the least if the stuff is put ou there deliberately hoping to incite us to "require someone to do something about it" and therefore use that as an excuse to control our freedoms even more........

                    Yes, it's true that if we went to full moderation there would be no spam. But the flow of information would be throttled by the fact that incoming messages would be slowed down by moderation. Instead of people being able to respond quickly to a question, and to the replies to the question, discussions would crawl because of the need for approval of every message.

                    Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

                  • Graham
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                      Short of full moderation, the moderator can if they so choose to set up the list such that approval is required to join. This would leave one level of verification to keep the spammers out; if they can join without any approval they can join whatever, whenever, send their hand full of messages and the disappear never to be seen again.

                      SPAM and it's impact is an interesting topic and as has been said, different individuals react differently to it. I use my [delete] key and just move on.

                      cheers, graham ve3gtc

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2013

                        This spam is from the same address over and over and nothing is being done about it. Ok great don't require moderation of every email, which I am against for the reason previously stated, and no moderation is going to be about joining which I AM for, then at least kick these out as they happen.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2013
                          On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 06:32 -0400, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:

                          > Yes, it's true that if we went to full moderation there would be no
                          > spam. But the flow of information would be throttled by the fact that
                          > incoming messages would be slowed down by moderation. Instead of
                          > people being able to respond quickly to a question, and to the replies
                          > to the question, discussions would crawl because of the need for
                          > approval of every message.
                          >

                          > Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

                          Exactly,

                          I have been in groups that couldn't tolerate some dirt from the real
                          world. The whole world is made of dirt and every day you are gonna get
                          some on you. Brush it off and keep on going. Those groups went to full
                          moderation and became useless to me. I know this group got by without me
                          somehow for a long time and could again if you have to. Go to a
                          moderated list and you will have to. I have noticed the owner has not
                          suggested going in that direction.

                          How about getting back to discussions about radio in general and Soft
                          rocks in particular with maybe a few side notes.

                          73,

                          Bill KU8H
                        • Zack Widup
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 8, 2013
                            I have been told that Yahoo accounts are particularly vulnerable for
                            some reason. If you are actually logged into a Yahoo account, someone
                            can hack into your computer and steal the cookie that was placed there
                            by Yahoo. At that point, they can take over your account. So I don't
                            even bother to read mail at my Yahoo address very often, nor do I read
                            Yahoogroups through the website. I prefer to get my Yahoogroup e-mail
                            at my gmail account. For some reason, gmail is more secure.

                            But I don't think that is what happened with our group. I think
                            spammers go looking for groups that are easy to get into by looking
                            over the Yahoogroups themselves, then join those groups and spam away
                            if the group isn't moderated. Then they seem to distribute the names
                            of those groups with access weaknesses to similar spammers. Our group
                            is likely to continue to get different spammers of the same type
                            hitting it. Other groups get hit by different types of spammers (like
                            the one I mentioned yesterday with the precious metals salesmen).

                            73, Zack W9SZ

                          • Alan Hill
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 8, 2013
                              Another group at Yahoo moderates both membership and messages.  We verify most members before allowing posts.
                              73,
                              Alan - W6ARH

                            • KF5ULI
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 8, 2013
                                good grief just happened again.  out of my 100 yahoo groups this is the only one making spam. There has got to be a way of keeping these people from the group. Moderation for first few emails, verified call signs etc.

                                On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

                                All this whining about spam is worse than the spam itself.

                                Bob

                                --
                                Angi
                                Amatuer Radio Operator

                                FRBG Breeding Services, Specalizing in the problem and hard to breed does, In Arkansas and Missouri
                                AI services for Caprine, Cervid, Cattle, Sheep,
                                AI Classes in Caprine, In Ar and surrounding states

                              • dick williams
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 8, 2013
                                  I joined this group in order to further my interest in amateur radio not to be bombarded with spam especially not from people whingeing about it (which is just as bad).

                                  Its obvious that the moderator can't or wont do anything about it (he is the only person that can) despite offers of assistance. Therefore why dont we all just ignore it and get back to sensible (softrock and amateur) subjects.