Softrock Ensemble RX II - hearing WWV @ 1680KHz

  • Dana Myers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
      I built an Ensemble II RX, choosing the LF option. I think I've calibrated
      the Si570 correctly, set the dividers and ABPF points correctly. Using
      HDSDR.

      I can tune AM stations as expected, but with a fairly short longwire
      I'm hearing WWV at 1680KHz (LO set for 1670KHz). Which sort of makes
      sense, I believe I'm hearing 5MHz WWV as a 3rd harmonic, roughly,
      of the receive frequency.

      Fairly sure I built band 3 filter correctly but I'll touch up the
      soldering on the inductors. Any other hints?

      Thanks and 73,
      Dana K6JQ
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
        Hi Dana,

        Please also check to make sure the right capacitors were mounted in the appropriate locations in the BPFs.

        Also, a good thing to check is the BPF selection which can be confirmed by measuring the voltages at R12, (SEL 1), and R13, (SEL 0 ), when various center frequencies are set for the various ranges.  For example if a center frequency of 500 kHz is set then SEL1= less than 0.2 volts  and SEL0=greater than 3 volts.

        Please let me know what you find.

        Thanks,
        --
        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...

        On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 14:41 -0700, Dana Myers wrote:

        I built an Ensemble II RX, choosing the LF option. I think I've calibrated
        the Si570 correctly, set the dividers and ABPF points correctly. Using
        HDSDR.

        I can tune AM stations as expected, but with a fairly short longwire
        I'm hearing WWV at 1680KHz (LO set for 1670KHz). Which sort of makes
        sense, I believe I'm hearing 5MHz WWV as a 3rd harmonic, roughly,
        of the receive frequency.

        Fairly sure I built band 3 filter correctly but I'll touch up the
        soldering on the inductors. Any other hints?

        Thanks and 73,
        Dana K6JQ

      • k6jq
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
          After carefully inspecting the BPF bank for any flecks
          of solder and whatnot, and going over things with a
          pick, I didn't really find anything but now band 3 performance
          appears to be correct. So I must have cleared something
          up.

          Thanks for the help and 73,
          Dana K6JQ