Re: Command sequence required to operate Si570

  • dick_faust
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
      Heikki
      If you look in the files section under "K9IVB-Si570" March 4 2008 you will find several files which illustrate the programming of the device. Link below.
      these files are in Excel, VB6 and VBA. Silicon Labs also had a programming AP note that I used for the VB6 programs that was written in C. I know that I have the AP note somewhere, but would have to look. Also some info on my web page
      http://www.k9ivb.net/Tech%20Links.htm

      Good luck

      Dick K9IVB

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Roger Critchlow <rec@...> wrote:

      > Heikki --
      >
      > You can find complete examples of programming the Si570 over I2C in the
      > pe0fko firmware source, http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/, or in the source for
      > the sdr-widget, https://github.com/amontefusco/sdr-widget.
      >
      > -- rec --
      >

      > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Heikki <oh2lzi@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Dear group,
      > >
      > > Just started to consider programming Si570 all by myself, therefore I have
      > > been searching for all existing info. Some of that has been most useful,
      > > like calculating the 6 bytes needed for a frequency update. What strikes me
      > > mostly is, that I have not been able to find any, I mean none whatsoever,
      > > simple instructions of the basic command sequence required in i2c
      > > communication. It seems to me that one must provide three bytes for each
      > > instruction: an address byte for the device, i.e. 55 followed by a write
      > > bit, the byte address (register number) and the instruction byte, i.e.
      > > multiplier or the frequency byte required. Altogether this would make 3 * 6
      > > bytes = 18 bytes, correct ???
      > >
      > > Before starting my own code development I would like to be sure of this !
      > >
      > > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

    • lh1907
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
        Another reference is Craig Johnson's implementation at
        http://www.cbjohn.com/aa0zz/

        Larry, W2HHV
      • Charles (WC5MC)
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          Hello Heikki,

          In post 16044, here is one of the most fundamental examples as done via PICAXE language.

          (hope the link does not get hacked up)

          That and what Tom's code example is should be a good start.

          -- Charles

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

          > Dear group,
          >
          > Just started to consider programming Si570 all by myself, therefore I have been searching for all existing info. Some of that has been most useful, like calculating the 6 bytes needed for a frequency update. What strikes me mostly is, that I have not been able to find any, I mean none whatsoever, simple instructions of the basic command sequence required in i2c communication. It seems to me that one must provide three bytes for each instruction: an address byte for the device, i.e. 55 followed by a write bit, the byte address (register number) and the instruction byte, i.e. multiplier or the frequency byte required. Altogether this would make 3 * 6 bytes = 18 bytes, correct ???
          >
          > Before starting my own code development I would like to be sure of this !
          >
          > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

        • Charles (WC5MC)
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
            Read this thread too.

            -- Charles

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (WC5MC)" <eplerkeppler@...> wrote:

            > Hello Heikki,
            >
            > In post 16044, here is one of the most fundamental examples as done via PICAXE language.

            > (hope the link does not get hacked up)
            >
            > That and what Tom's code example is should be a good start.
            >

            > -- Charles
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear group,
            > >
            > > Just started to consider programming Si570 all by myself, therefore I have been searching for all existing info. Some of that has been most useful, like calculating the 6 bytes needed for a frequency update. What strikes me mostly is, that I have not been able to find any, I mean none whatsoever, simple instructions of the basic command sequence required in i2c communication. It seems to me that one must provide three bytes for each instruction: an address byte for the device, i.e. 55 followed by a write bit, the byte address (register number) and the instruction byte, i.e. multiplier or the frequency byte required. Altogether this would make 3 * 6 bytes = 18 bytes, correct ???
            > >
            > > Before starting my own code development I would like to be sure of this !
            > >
            > > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

          • Heikki
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
              Dear all,

              Mni tks for all the responses! It seems that the info is there, but not so easily revealed ... I will thoroughly study all references, and hopefully come up with something that is usable. The tool I am using is VB6, not quite what many others have applied, but it has worked satisfactorily for me with AD9850/1 and AD9951.

              73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

              > Dear group,
              >
              > Just started to consider programming Si570 all by myself, therefore I have been searching for all existing info. Some of that has been most useful, like calculating the 6 bytes needed for a frequency update. What strikes me mostly is, that I have not been able to find any, I mean none whatsoever, simple instructions of the basic command sequence required in i2c communication. It seems to me that one must provide three bytes for each instruction: an address byte for the device, i.e. 55 followed by a write bit, the byte address (register number) and the instruction byte, i.e. multiplier or the frequency byte required. Altogether this would make 3 * 6 bytes = 18 bytes, correct ???
              >
              > Before starting my own code development I would like to be sure of this !
              >
              > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

            • Heikki
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                Dear group,

                Just to inform that I have successfully programmed a single Si570 with VB6 and the parallel port. Next step is to implement the command sequence into my double-vfo interface which will be applicable in any tx/rx combination (different if's if needed). Up to now I have tested only the freeze/nonfreeze procedure, but the so-called smooth tuning will be included also. This may, however, take some time as the summer is almost here (the snow cover has disappeared even in the OH-country !) and other non - ham related activities will take preference. Those still interested, please be patient !

                73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)