WB5RVZ Kit documentation website

  • Adam Jacobs
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2013
      Hello Robby (WB5RVZ) and interested parties:
      If the documentation for the kits has well and truly been moved to a
      new site, could the old site (or the portions that have been moved) be
      taken down? If we're concerned about archiving the old information,
      perhaps that could be zipped and made available for download on the new
      site.

      The issue I'm running into as a relatively new kit builder is that it
      isn't super obvious that the one set of instructions is deprecated. Yes,
      I know, there is a couple of sentences in red at the start of the
      page... but more fool me, I'm usually scrolling past that to get to the
      meat. :)

      In hindsight, I _think_ I built my first RX II off of the new site,
      because I was being ultra careful. But I'm pretty sure that I built the
      following RX II and RXTX off of the old deprecated site. It seems like
      everything went together and works fine anyways, but now I've got to
      wondering... Is there a big difference that I don't know about and my
      builds are incorrect?

      It is very confusing and easy to use the old instructions instead of the
      new instructions. The fact that the website names (wb5rvz.com vs
      wb5rvz.org) are nearly identical doesn't help matters at all. The paths
      are very similar. If I read on the reflector that the old site is
      deprecated and the new site, "wb5rvz.org" is the new one - and I look at
      the top of my address bar and see a website that is called wb5rvz then I
      figure I'm sorted.

      Also, Google doesn't seem to be crawling the new site _AT ALL_.
      Therefore, when I google for the kit's build instructions, the old site
      comes up as the top response and the new site isn't even anywhere to be
      found in the list.

      My question and my request:

      Question: Is there substantive build changes between the last version of
      the _old_ RXTX & RX II build instructions and the new build
      instructions? I'm wondering if I need to be looking at my builds and
      fixing things.

      Request: Could you please consider taking down the old site, if it truly
      is deprecated? This is really confusing to newish builders.

      Thanks & 73,
      -Adam W7QI
    • Phil Frost
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2013
        On 04/22/2013 12:24 PM, Adam Jacobs wrote:
        > Also, Google doesn't seem to be crawling the new site _AT ALL_.
        > Therefore, when I google for the kit's build instructions, the old site
        > comes up as the top response and the new site isn't even anywhere to be
        > found in the list.

        With this in mind, the ideal solution is to configure the old site to
        respond with an HTTP 301 "Moved Permanently" rather than simply take it
        down. This will allow Google, old links, and anyone with bookmarks to
        continue working and elegantly update their references.

        > Question: Is there substantive build changes between the last version of
        > the _old_ RXTX & RX II build instructions and the new build
        > instructions? I'm wondering if I need to be looking at my builds and
        > fixing things.

        I made the same mistake with my RXTX. I found on the new site that there
        are notes in the instructions where the component values have changed.
        For example:

        http://www.wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/05_rf#windandinstallcoils

        I don't know if an exhaustive list of all changes is available anywhere,
        but a manual skim through the parts list on the new site might reveal
        some changes.
      • Roger Critchlow
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2013
          I would move eventually to make both web sites point to the exact same content.  The old urls have established enormous search engine credibility over the years, so it would be best if they led to the correct and most current instructions.  On the other hand, there are still things in the old pages that haven't yet moved into the new pages, so I would keep the old pages as "archival content" links on the new pages.  Assuming the web hosting budget will support that

          But, most of all, thanks for doing all this work and hosting all this material, I don't know where I'd be without it.

          The new site http://www.wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rx_ii/ doesn't have links to the schematic pdfs, at least none that searching for schemat or sheet could find.

          The old site http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii/ only has links to the schematic pdfs for pages 1/3 and 2/3,

            Review schematics: sheet1 and sheet 2

          -- rec -- ad5dz --