Re: [softrock40] Phantom Pan Adapter Spikes

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 6:18 AM
      Subject: [softrock40] Phantom Pan Adapter Spikes

      >I have a 9 mhz IF tap on an Icom 761. I have the Clifton Labs buffer/preamp to isolate the IF from any outside influence. I am
      >using the tap to drive LPBridge, a virtual port generator. All that supports NaP3 SDR and CW Skimmer. All of it works fine. But,
      >I have a phantom spike that is about 700 hz about the centerline frequency when I am on CW. It follows the receiver, always 700 hz
      >above. On SSB, the spike is a few hertz below the centerline frequency. On RTTY, it's about 500 hz below. It's not much of an
      >issue on SSB, but it shows up as a bold, solid line on CW Skimmer.

      Don,

      What frequency is your oscillator?
      Your description makes me feel the LO is too close to your IF.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • José Angel Amador
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 7:57 AM
        Don,

        It seems that the carrier oscillator is leaking into the panadapter input.

        73,

        Jose, CO2JA

        El 22/04/2013 8:50, wb6bee escribió:
        > I have a 9 mhz IF tap on an Icom 761. I have the Clifton Labs buffer/preamp to isolate the IF from any outside influence. I am using the tap to drive LPBridge, a virtual port generator. All that supports NaP3 SDR and CW Skimmer. All of it works fine. But, I have a phantom spike that is about 700 hz about the centerline frequency when I am on CW. It follows the receiver, always 700 hz above. On SSB, the spike is a few hertz below the centerline frequency. On RTTY, it's about 500 hz below. It's not much of an issue on SSB, but it shows up as a bold, solid line on CW Skimmer.
        >
        > Any thoughts on the potential cause?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Don
        > WB6BEE

      • wb6bee
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 8:57 AM
          Jose/Alan

          I am not sure about the oscillator frequency. From the service manual I downloaded, the first IF is 70 mhz, the second IF is 9Mhz and the third IF is 455 khz. None of these look like the 700 hz that I am seeing on CW.

          My set up is that I tapped the 9 mhz at a D66 going to the RF board. It's a coax feed to the RF board, but it was easier to connect to the diode that feeds the coax. Good ground at that point. RG- 178 coax to the Clifton Lab Z10000b buffer/amp. From there, more RG-178 to the SMA bulkhead connector on the back of the 761. (This rig is not new, but new to me).

          I did not surround the z10000b with a shield. Is that a potential for leakage into the circuit from something stray inside the 761 cabinet??

          Thanks

          Don

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 11:11 AM
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Phantom Pan Adapter Spikes

            >I am not sure about the oscillator frequency. From the service manual I downloaded, the first IF is 70 mhz, the second IF is 9Mhz
            >and the third IF is 455 khz. None of these look like the 700 hz that I am seeing on CW.

            >My set up is that I tapped the 9 mhz at a D66 going to the RF board. It's a coax feed to the RF board, but it was easier to
            >connect to the diode that feeds the coax.

            Don,

            The spike "signal" you see seems to be the characteristic spike seen at the centre of soundcard SDR displays.
            When making a panadaptor the Softrock LO frequency should be offset by 10KHz or more.
            So the question I'm asking is what is that frequency?
            If it is right in the middle of the 761's IF then it really needs to be moved.
            HDSDR has the ability to notch out this "signal" but it leaves that notch in place of it.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 11:30 AM
              Alan

              I think I understand your question based upon your description. My global offset is -16,000.

              My biggest issue is the trace that it leaves in CW Skimmer. And, at that, it's not the end of the world. If some station was "dead on" the phantom trace, I can still just center the station and the trace is now moved.

              If it's fixable, I would like to do that, but right now, I don't know what to do. Shielding something is ok. I probably wouldn't want to go changing tap locations or anything as I don't want to risk the IC 761 performance.

              Thanks

              Don

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22 11:35 AM

                > Alan
                >
                > I think I understand your question based upon your description. My global offset is -16,000.

                What I'm trying to establish is the frequency of the oscillator in the Softrock.
                And the IF frequency of your rig.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22 11:44 AM

                  > I think I understand your question based upon your description. My global offset is -16,000.

                  Don,

                  And what is that? What SDR software are you using?
                  Try another offset if that is the offset from centre make it +16000?
                  I'm trying to establish your IF/Softrock oscillator offset.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • wb6bee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22 11:56 AM
                    Getting closer

                    SR....8.994 mhz

                    761 CW 9.0106 mhz
                    761 SSB 9.0115 mhz

                    spike in CW 700 +/- hz above
                    spike in SSB 100 +/- hz below

                    difference probably the difference in the IF frequencies of the 761

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22 1:32 PM

                      > SR....8.994 mhz
                      >
                      > 761 CW 9.0106 mhz
                      > 761 SSB 9.0115 mhz

                      Don,

                      Right the difference is about 16,000.
                      I suspect your global offset needs to be +16,000.

                      It seems that -16000 put your working frequency almost into the centre.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      > spike in CW 700 +/- hz above
                      > spike in SSB 100 +/- hz below
                      >
                      > difference probably the difference in the IF frequencies of the 761

                    • wb6bee
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22 1:43 PM
                        I can try that tonight when I get home from work and see what I get. I am using NaP3, BTW.

                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Phantom Pan Adapter Spikes
                        >

                        > > SR....8.994 mhz
                        > >
                        > > 761 CW 9.0106 mhz
                        > > 761 SSB 9.0115 mhz
                        > >

                        > Don,
                        >
                        > Right the difference is about 16,000.
                        > I suspect your global offset needs to be +16,000.
                        >
                        > It seems that -16000 put your working frequency almost into the centre.
                        >

                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        >

                        > > spike in CW 700 +/- hz above
                        > > spike in SSB 100 +/- hz below
                        > >
                        > > difference probably the difference in the IF frequencies of the 761

                      • José Angel Amador
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 23 7:16 PM
                          I guess it is carrier oscillator leakage based on the fact that that
                          carrier generator frequency from where the transmission is derived
                          changes with mode.

                          Just check the 761 technical manual and compare the difference in
                          frequencies observed on the screen with those stated in the manual. Most
                          probably the carrrier oscillator radiation inside the radio is not
                          harmful for its normal usage, as it is zero beat with the received
                          frequency and does not activate the AGC, so the radio is not desensed.
                          That does not negate that the LP Bridge may pick and amplify such
                          leakage and show it on the screen.

                          I have never put my fingers inside an Icom 761 "belly", so I am guessing
                          a lot. Try putting the board inside some metal can as shield.(isolate
                          the PCB from the metal box walls, even an old magazine thick and glossy
                          paper may help to electrically isolate the PCB) and see if that does
                          diminish the intensity of the spike you are seeing. Hope it helps.

                          73,

                          Jose, CO2JA

                          ---

                          El 22/04/2013 11:57, wb6bee escribió:
                          > Jose/Alan
                          >
                          > I am not sure about the oscillator frequency. From the service manual I downloaded, the first IF is 70 mhz, the second IF is 9Mhz and the third IF is 455 khz. None of these look like the 700 hz that I am seeing on CW.
                          >
                          > My set up is that I tapped the 9 mhz at a D66 going to the RF board. It's a coax feed to the RF board, but it was easier to connect to the diode that feeds the coax. Good ground at that point. RG- 178 coax to the Clifton Lab Z10000b buffer/amp. From there, more RG-178 to the SMA bulkhead connector on the back of the 761. (This rig is not new, but new to me).
                          >
                          > I did not surround the z10000b with a shield. Is that a potential for leakage into the circuit from something stray inside the 761 cabinet??
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Don
                          >
                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, José Angel Amador <co2ja@...> wrote:
                          >> Don,
                          >>
                          >> It seems that the carrier oscillator is leaking into the panadapter input.
                          >>
                          >> 73,
                          >>
                          >> Jose, CO2JA
                          >>
                          >> El 22/04/2013 8:50, wb6bee escribió:
                          >>> I have a 9 mhz IF tap on an Icom 761. I have the Clifton Labs buffer/preamp to isolate the IF from any outside influence. I am using the tap to drive LPBridge, a virtual port generator. All that supports NaP3 SDR and CW Skimmer. All of it works fine. But, I have a phantom spike that is about 700 hz about the centerline frequency when I am on CW. It follows the receiver, always 700 hz above. On SSB, the spike is a few hertz below the centerline frequency. On RTTY, it's about 500 hz below. It's not much of an issue on SSB, but it shows up as a bold, solid line on CW Skimmer.
                          >>>
                          >>> Any thoughts on the potential cause?
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks
                          >>> Don