Re: [softrock40] Si570 control: two devices tracked with control software

  • Roger Critchlow
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 18, 2013
      Heikki --

      I don't think any of the existing hardware or software is set up to deal with two Si570's.

      I think your easiest solution might be to connect the second Si570 to a second LPT interface.

      Another possibility would be to add a second SDA and SCL line to an existing LPT interface.

      Or, as Dave pointed out, you could order an Si570 with a different I2C address than the default.  That could be addedh to the bus on your existing LPT interface.

      You might want to think ahead about how to keep the two Si570 outputs from interacting with each other.  The Si570 in my Ensemble RX regularly knocks nearby WiFi transceivers off the air, even from inside its KM5H enclosure.  About 4 feet from the laptop its connected to seems to be a safe distance.

      -- rec -- ad5dz --

      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

      Heikki:
        Don't think it is possible to modify the Si570.  But, you specify the address if you order from SiLabs.

      Dave - WB6DHW
      <http://wb6dhw.com>

      On 4/18/2013 10:48 AM, Heikki wrote:

      Dear group,

      First, I am succesfully using a single Si570 (control via LPT1) in my softrock-type SDR transceiver

      Secondly, my second rig employs two DDS generators (AD9951, 9851 etc.)
      tracked with VB6 software and, again, LPT1 control

      Next, I would like to try two Si570´s tracked. I need this tracking because I am using separate rx and tx with different intermediate frequencies. It seems that this could be done if I could employ separate control lines in LPT1 for each Si570, or if I could address each separately. I wonder if it is possible e.g. to modify extIO_Si570.dll or should I start from scratch with VB6 ? Any experience ? I did write my control software for 2 x AD9951 some years back and it seems that similar approach would be possible by modifying the control word generation and LPT1 output procedure.

      Still, I do not feel like inventing the wheel again, if these items can be found somewhere. I emphasize the fact that I only need to replicate the code for two separate devices.

      BR de Heikki (OH2LZI)

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 18, 2013
        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Si570 control: two devices tracked with control software

        > The Si570 in my Ensemble RX regularly knocks
        nearby WiFi transceivers off the air, even from inside its KM5H enclosure.

        Roger,

        Have you done the modification to the antenna transformer?

        <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/softrock_ensemble_isolation_transformers>

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Roger Critchlow
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013

          On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

          >  The Si570 in my Ensemble RX regularly knocks
          nearby WiFi transceivers off the air, even from inside its KM5H enclosure.

          Roger,

          Have you done the modification to the antenna transformer?

          Alan --

          Yes, I did correct the phasing on all my transformers, but thank you, that's an excellent point, and I should go back and check that I got them right.

          And I must admit that I haven't tried to verify the theory, it's just an observation at this point.  I've had the radio, the sound card, and its attached laptop in three locations around the house over the past week.  In two locations the radio has migrated to a spot 4 feet from the laptop and the laptop's WiFi has become stable.  The third location was next to the WiFi access point with the laptop using ethernet, and I couldn't find a place that didn't interfere with the access point WiFi.  I should at least swap in another sound card for comparison.

          -- rec -- ad5dz --
        • Paul Read
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013

            Hi Gang,

            The I2C address is specified in the full part number, but there may be an MOQ to get a specific one ordered.

            Cheers

            Paul

          • Tom Hoflich
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013
              Don't know what a MOQ is, but you can go to the Silabs website and create your own part number and order one in any configuration that
              you want.  It won't be cheap that way, but you can do it.

              73, Tom KM5H

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013
                Hello group,

                Thanks for the responses, although it seems that I need to start writing my own code... One thing I find soft of puzzling, I have been using PowerSDR-sr40 software for quite a while, and the Si570 is controlled via LPT1, pins 2 and 3. The buffer/level shifter for each pin/line is based on a fet with pull-up resistor, this is unidirectional by definition and allows no reading from the Si570. Therefore I assume that the acknowledgement signal after each byte sent to the Si570 can be ignored, right? I have not been able to get any confirmation on this yet.

                When using LPT for control, a number of 8 control lines do exist. Therefore I see no reason for not controlling up to 4 individual Si570 chips. Moreover, since the control lines can be separate, all Si570 may have the same address, since the device is selected by the pairs of lines.

                73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

                > Dear group,
                >
                > First, I am succesfully using a single Si570 (control via LPT1) in my softrock-type SDR transceiver
                >
                > Secondly, my second rig employs two DDS generators (AD9951, 9851 etc.)
                > tracked with VB6 software and, again, LPT1 control
                >
                > Next, I would like to try two Si570´s tracked. I need this tracking because I am using separate rx and tx with different intermediate frequencies. It seems that this could be done if I could employ separate control lines in LPT1 for each Si570, or if I could address each separately. I wonder if it is possible e.g. to modify extIO_Si570.dll or should I start from scratch with VB6 ? Any experience ? I did write my control software for 2 x AD9951 some years back and it seems that similar approach would be possible by modifying the control word generation and LPT1 output procedure.
                >
                > Still, I do not feel like inventing the wheel again, if these items can be found somewhere. I emphasize the fact that I only need to replicate the code for two separate devices.
                >
                > BR de Heikki (OH2LZI)

              • Adam Jacobs
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013
                  Would you consider publishing the code? I've never seen an I2C over parallel port implementation before, it sounds interesting.

                  -73 Adam W7QI

                  On 4/19/2013 1:08 PM, Heikki wrote:

                  Hello group,

                  Thanks for the responses, although it seems that I need to start writing my own code... One thing I find soft of puzzling, I have been using PowerSDR-sr40 software for quite a while, and the Si570 is controlled via LPT1, pins 2 and 3. The buffer/level shifter for each pin/line is based on a fet with pull-up resistor, this is unidirectional by definition and allows no reading from the Si570. Therefore I assume that the acknowledgement signal after each byte sent to the Si570 can be ignored, right? I have not been able to get any confirmation on this yet.

                  When using LPT for control, a number of 8 control lines do exist. Therefore I see no reason for not controlling up to 4 individual Si570 chips. Moreover, since the control lines can be separate, all Si570 may have the same address, since the device is selected by the pairs of lines.

                  73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                  73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

                  > Dear group,
                  >
                  > First, I am succesfully using a single Si570 (control via LPT1) in my softrock-type SDR transceiver
                  >
                  > Secondly, my second rig employs two DDS generators (AD9951, 9851 etc.)
                  > tracked with VB6 software and, again, LPT1 control
                  >
                  > Next, I would like to try two Si570´s tracked. I need this tracking because I am using separate rx and tx with different intermediate frequencies. It seems that this could be done if I could employ separate control lines in LPT1 for each Si570, or if I could address each separately. I wonder if it is possible e.g. to modify extIO_Si570.dll or should I start from scratch with VB6 ? Any experience ? I did write my control software for 2 x AD9951 some years back and it seems that similar approach would be possible by modifying the control word generation and LPT1 output procedure.
                  >
                  > Still, I do not feel like inventing the wheel again, if these items can be found somewhere. I emphasize the fact that I only need to replicate the code for two separate devices.
                  >
                  > BR de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                • Roger Critchlow
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 19, 2013
                    Heikki --

                    Yes, the acks can be ignored, though the software would know that the Si570 was working if it could see them coming back.  You don't actually ignore them because the LPT software should have a pause programmed into it so it doesn't try to send another command when the ack is expected.

                    And, yes, add the extra Si570 control lines to the LPT interface, and you can program two, three, or four Si570's at once.

                    Good luck on the project, and 73

                    -- rec -- ad5dz --

                    On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Heikki <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

                    Hello group,

                    Thanks for the responses, although it seems that I need to start writing my own code... One thing I find soft of puzzling, I have been using PowerSDR-sr40 software for quite a while, and the Si570 is controlled via LPT1, pins 2 and 3. The buffer/level shifter for each pin/line is based on a fet with pull-up resistor, this is unidirectional by definition and allows no reading from the Si570. Therefore I assume that the acknowledgement signal after each byte sent to the Si570 can be ignored, right? I have not been able to get any confirmation on this yet.

                    When using LPT for control, a number of 8 control lines do exist. Therefore I see no reason for not controlling up to 4 individual Si570 chips. Moreover, since the control lines can be separate, all Si570 may have the same address, since the device is selected by the pairs of lines.

                    73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                    73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@...> wrote:

                    > Dear group,
                    >
                    > First, I am succesfully using a single Si570 (control via LPT1) in my softrock-type SDR transceiver
                    >
                    > Secondly, my second rig employs two DDS generators (AD9951, 9851 etc.)
                    > tracked with VB6 software and, again, LPT1 control
                    >
                    > Next, I would like to try two Si570´s tracked. I need this tracking because I am using separate rx and tx with different intermediate frequencies. It seems that this could be done if I could employ separate control lines in LPT1 for each Si570, or if I could address each separately. I wonder if it is possible e.g. to modify extIO_Si570.dll or should I start from scratch with VB6 ? Any experience ? I did write my control software for 2 x AD9951 some years back and it seems that similar approach would be possible by modifying the control word generation and LPT1 output procedure.
                    >
                    > Still, I do not feel like inventing the wheel again, if these items can be found somewhere. I emphasize the fact that I only need to replicate the code for two separate devices.
                    >
                    > BR de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                  • Heikki
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 21, 2013
                      Dear Adam et al,

                      The i2c over parallel port for a single Si570, as I have used it, is already implemented in the PowerSDR-sr40 software. Since I do not have the source code for that I need to start from scratch, almost.

                      The other approach I have is based on my experience on DDS generators, i.e. AD9850/1 and AD9951. Here I have developed my own code for two separate chips, working at different frequencies but tracked as required for tranceiver-like operation.

                      As far as apllying my approach to Si570's, I am not quite finished yet, actually I have just started, but since there seems to exist some common interest, I will consider publishing the software when completed.

                      73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jacobs <jacobs.adam@...> wrote:

                      > Would you consider publishing the code? I've never seen an I2C over
                      > parallel port implementation before, it sounds interesting.
                      >
                      > -73 Adam W7QI
                      >
                      > On 4/19/2013 1:08 PM, Heikki wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello group,
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the responses, although it seems that I need to start
                      > > writing my own code... One thing I find soft of puzzling, I have been
                      > > using PowerSDR-sr40 software for quite a while, and the Si570 is
                      > > controlled via LPT1, pins 2 and 3. The buffer/level shifter for each
                      > > pin/line is based on a fet with pull-up resistor, this is
                      > > unidirectional by definition and allows no reading from the Si570.
                      > > Therefore I assume that the acknowledgement signal after each byte
                      > > sent to the Si570 can be ignored, right? I have not been able to get
                      > > any confirmation on this yet.
                      > >
                      > > When using LPT for control, a number of 8 control lines do exist.
                      > > Therefore I see no reason for not controlling up to 4 individual Si570
                      > > chips. Moreover, since the control lines can be separate, all Si570
                      > > may have the same address, since the device is selected by the pairs
                      > > of lines.
                      > >
                      > > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)
                      > >
                      > > 73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Heikki" <oh2lzi@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Dear group,
                      > > >
                      > > > First, I am succesfully using a single Si570 (control via LPT1) in
                      > > my softrock-type SDR transceiver
                      > > >
                      > > > Secondly, my second rig employs two DDS generators (AD9951, 9851 etc.)
                      > > > tracked with VB6 software and, again, LPT1 control
                      > > >
                      > > > Next, I would like to try two Si570´s tracked. I need this tracking
                      > > because I am using separate rx and tx with different intermediate
                      > > frequencies. It seems that this could be done if I could employ
                      > > separate control lines in LPT1 for each Si570, or if I could address
                      > > each separately. I wonder if it is possible e.g. to modify
                      > > extIO_Si570.dll or should I start from scratch with VB6 ? Any
                      > > experience ? I did write my control software for 2 x AD9951 some years
                      > > back and it seems that similar approach would be possible by modifying
                      > > the control word generation and LPT1 output procedure.
                      > > >
                      > > > Still, I do not feel like inventing the wheel again, if these items
                      > > can be found somewhere. I emphasize the fact that I only need to
                      > > replicate the code for two separate devices.
                      > > >
                      > > > BR de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                    • neomag_magneo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2013
                        Dear all interested,

                        Months have passed since my previous notice but I am glad to announce that I have quite succesfully implemented the i2c commands into my existing code, which was originally written for AD9951 DDS.
                        Two Si570 (one for rx, another for tx) can be tuned synchronously and, as I have added the quite tuning procedure for the rx device, no clicks or bumps can be heard.

                        As mentioned before, the software is intended to drive separate rx/tx, possibly with with different if-frequencies as well. The control is via 2+2 LPT pins, in addition two pins are used to read an optical encoder.

                        As most of the ideas and pieces of software can be traced back to this group and its associates, I feel almost obliged to publish the code as exists right now. It is written in VB6 and has been tested with WIN2K and XP. The .exe version does not require any VB6 installation, only a few small auxiliary files (.dll, .bas) are needed. As modern computers do not have LPT-ports any more, a PCI-card will be required in those cases, this option has also been tested.

                        If anyone interested, I will carry on and come back with some files for download. There is no warranty whatsoever, and the source code can be modified according to personal needs.

                        73 de Heikki (OH2LZI)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2013

                          Heikki,

                          Yes, this sounds interesting.
                          I doubt I'd be able to do anything with the code but I'd be interested in playing with the exe

                          Motherboards with parallel headers have not entirely disappeared, I would look for one when I replace my present one. Four years
                          old, or more but still copes with most I do.

                          It has a parallel port and I also use a USB to genuine parallel adaptor. I wonder if your code will cope with a different address?

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          > Dear all interested,
                          >
                          > Months have passed since my previous notice but I am glad to announce that I have quite succesfully implemented the i2c commands
                          > into my existing code, which was originally written for AD9951 DDS.
                          > Two Si570 (one for rx, another for tx) can be tuned synchronously and, as I have added the quite tuning procedure for the rx
                          > device, no clicks or bumps can be heard.
                          >
                          > As mentioned before, the software is intended to drive separate rx/tx, possibly with with different if-frequencies as well. The
                          > control is via 2+2 LPT pins, in addition two pins are used to read an optical encoder.
                          >

                          > As most of the ideas and pieces of software can be traced back to this group and its associates, I feel almost obliged to publish
                          > the code as exists right now. It is written in VB6 and has been tested with WIN2K and XP. The .exe version does not require any
                          > VB6 installation, only a few small auxiliary files (.dll, .bas) are needed. As modern computers do not have LPT-ports any more, a
                          > PCI-card will be required in those cases, this option has also been tested.
                          >

                          > If anyone interested, I will carry on and come back with some files for download. There is no warranty whatsoever, and the source
                          > code can be modified according to personal needs.

                        • dick_faust
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2013
                            Heikki

                            I would be interested i a copy of the source.  Why not post to files section

                            Thanks, 73

                            Dick K9IVB
                          • kb9gpm
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2013
                              I for one would be interested in seeing this.  It is always good to learn something new.

                              73
                              David KB9GPM
                            • yl2qn_andy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 4, 2013